Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the past two days ive been noticing a pulsating/vibrating feeling coming from the gas pedal when i accelerate (especially in 3rd and 5th gear) i figured out that it actually pulsates the most in 5th gear. almost always when im in 5th and i accelerate, i feel a little pulsating in the gas pedal and i feel the shift knob twitch back very little. u cant see it move but you can feel it jolt back slightly and the knob also vibrates a little bit. it is not visible unless you really focus on it, but it is pretty easy to feel. 5th gear is the only gear when the knob vibrates like that and sorta twitches when i accelerate. is that serious enough to get checked out?

i was thinking it mite be normal since im near the 1000 mile break-in point but it feels suspicious.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well I believe that the vibration is normal cause mine does it, its not a blunt vibration but more of a soft vibration and thats how manuals are, and it is also possible that it twitches a little bit when accelerating, I will have to have someone clarify this more clearly but more of that is normal I would think...

but the pulsating not sure about that one, you could take it in and find out if its normal or not

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I think the virbation you feel might also be caused by the typical idle characteristics that you feel in most 4 cylinder motors. The pulsating feel I can't quite tell you anything about though. I know sometimes when i am going real slow in 1st it feels like the car lurches, is it just the pedal, or does the whole car do it?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The pedal is a spring loaded variable resistor. It isn't connected to anything but electrical wires, so you're not feeling anything but the vibration of the car. It's unlikely it is abnormal, but if it bothers you, take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
is the ac on? the ac pump turns on and off and drains a lot of power, that can cause the twitching and pulsating that you feel. that is normal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya lo bux is right, its not the actual gas pedal, its the floor of my car against my heel thats vibrating/pulsating. it didnt use to do that. its not really a strong vibration/shaking from the road, i know what that feels like. its more of a very rapid oscillation that makes me feel like the car is having a little trouble. and i still dunno why my stick twitches and rumbles in 5th gear.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
yeah mine sometimes I am not sure wether its the break in or what but sometimes it feels like its shaking a little bit, the car that is but the rpms are steady, of course I know thats not accurate, but the needle doesn't move and it only happens when I am at a dead stop.

Also sometimes I wondered if when coming to a stop and I am about at 5 mph and I push the clutch all the way in and put it into first gear it sometimes has a little clunk type sound not sure if this is normal either...wondered if you manual guys could shed some light on this

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Aug 5 2005, 08:45 AM
The pedal is a spring loaded variable resistor. It isn't connected to anything but electrical wires, so you're not feeling anything but the vibration of the car. It's unlikely it is abnormal, but if it bothers you, take it to the dealer and have them look at it.
actually its a potentiometer, but you probably feel it on the gas pedal because your right foot is the closest the Motor/Trans where the vibration is originating.

I would check your tire pressure and make sure you didn't lose any wheel weights.

If thats not it let the dealer check the drive train.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
For tire pressure, check on the tire or on the inside of the drivers door.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by SupraTC@Aug 8 2005, 04:08 PM
actually its a potentiometer,
Variable resistor = potentiometer. They are synonymous.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm resurrecting this topic becuase I also noticed that my shift knob twitches slightly in 5th gear and no one really answered the twitching part of the original post. Anyone noticed this? Is it bad? Thanks!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No it's not bad, its a normal reaction to engine torque.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.