Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be painting my calipers red tomorrow. I am basically just looking for any tips that might help me. I had a mustang before and I did it to the mustang so I already know how to do it. But any info will be helpful, if not to me, to someone else looking to do this later on.

Also what are the spots on the car to put the jack?

So far I got high temp caliper paint
Tape off what I don't want painted in the immediate surrounding
Brush on paint, use as many coats as desired.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
As far as where to jack up the car, there are little arrows near the bottom of the running board. Don't jack it up there. =P Seriously, though, feel with your hand until you feel a little ridge about 2 inches behind the arrow (underneath the car), and put the jack between the two notches right there.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Owners manual has pictures of how to jack up your car - nice and detailed. Don't be afraid of reading.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by SilverX@Oct 10 2004, 03:27 PM
You already formed rust on your rotors?
I've got rust on the rotors - high temperature plus moisture do the job of oxidizing pretty fast...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here is a pic of my painted brake calipers...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats realy nice looking. I was thinking about painting mine, and red looks realy nice!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I bought VHT Caliper Spray-on paint, and was wondering exactly how I should do it. Should I take off the brake caliper, and just spray on the paint, without masking specific parts of the caliper, or should I try to paint the caliper while it's on the wheel, and just tape off everything else? Any tips are recommended. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
[Bump]
Still wondering if anyone can give me some pointers

[/Bump]

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
That's fine, Wolo. But as far as where not to paint, is there anything I should watch out for? Do I need to mask specific parts of the caliper?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I painted mine blue. Looks great. I used G2 brush on. Few tips

1. The stuff gets tacky quick. I used 2 jack stands and did 2 at a time. Wish I could have done 4.

2. Do it during the day! False lighting is hard to work with your head will get in the way of lights and gets annoying real fast. Have a flashlight handy for the inner parts anyway.

3. Just paint the caliper...the greyish green material. Dont paint the backside of the pad or pad clips.

4. Go buy good brushes!!!! (Hobby Lobby or whatever you have in your area) I got cheap brushes and this stuff as said before gets tacky quick and will pull bristles out and onto paint.

5. Plan on doing all 4 in one sitting. The paint is only good for about 6 hours so have some time set aside.

6. Wash your wheels while they are off. Ya don't have to but it looks nicer and you may not get the chance to get behind there again for a while.

It's not that hard to do but it does take a while. If I had to do it over I would have taken them off and put blue steel lines on at the same time. I didn't mask anything but I was real careful around the rotors. Hope this helps someone

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the tips Greenhay

I got 4 jack stands and practiced putting the car up and taking the wheels off last night, just to see what i was getting into, seems pretty straight forward.

I am going to paint my calipers with the G2 blue this weekend on my SW, I'll go out and get some better brushes.

I will also take pics of the whole process to help out others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.