Scion tC Forums banner

Painting bumper-- paint matching?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  basilisk4 
#1 ·
Hey y'all...

well, stupid me hit the pole to a chain link fence, so needless to say my bumper needs to be replaced.

I've been to a couple of body shops, and the estimates seem to go from $600 (paint new bumper and install) to $1100 at the dealer (includes "blending" [i don't know the actual term] by repainting the fenders et al.)

Preferably, I'd like to just buy the bumper, have it painted, and install it myself. I assume this'll probably cost about $400 and change (haven't priced it out yet).

Question is, do I need this "blending"? My paint has been kept in very good condition (It's azure pearl) and there's always a good coat of wax on it. Is the blending neccessary on a car this new? I'm sure everytime you slap on a new body part on it may be slightly off color-wise, but I have a feeling the shops are just trying to make more $$ off me on something that's not necessary.

Let me know what y'all think--especially those that have worked in this business.
I can prolly install the bumper myself, so I don't want to pay someone labor for that...

thanks...

See less See more
#2 ·
Blending shouldn't be necessary on a car so new, especially if you keep good care of it. That's just a method of getting more money out of you.

#3 ·
If it's an insurance job, they will always claim you need to blend it. There are lots of things that make insurance jobs a lot more expensive.

#4 ·
I'm paying out of pocket. I did tell them that, so I was thinking that I'd get a break in price. I guess not, eh? How much would painting a bumper usually run you guys in your neck of the woods (please include location)

haha I was thinking of a quick fix for this in the meantime--just slapping a front end mask on there...

hmmm..I think I would rather just get the bumper replace though.

actually, now that I think of it, having the mask wouldn't be a bad idea for track days--boy, there sure is a large amount rocks/ rubber being thrown at your front end out there!

anyway, let me know what y'all think regarding pricing...

#5 ·
When my front bumper needed replacing (b/c of a small accident), they had to "blend" or "match" my paint. *shrug* Insurrance paid for it, I could care. Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you man. I have a small goof-up on my rear bumper too from a bush... it's like the size of a quarter, and I've been told by a body shop that it'd be about $800 for new bumper/blend/install time. Not worth it imo. I might just put a sticker on it or something. Maybe a TRD sticker, they add 1whp right?

#6 ·
naw, the trd axleback gets like 1whp. I expect the sticker to pull at least 10whp.

pshaw

#7 ·
I can tell you from experience that blending is no guarantee that your bumper won't fade to a different shade than the rest of the car after a year or two, either. If the new bumper matches the car after you get it painted, then blending probably won't serve any purpose.

#8 ·
don't let them blend at all!!! Your paint was baked in an oven at the factory and is a lot STRONGER than the aftermarket stuff that chemically cures.. Just find another body shop that would match the paint to what you have and NOT touch the factory paint.

they are trying to get more money out of you like everyone else here has said..

It can be done, just needs a good body shop.. blending is a way for them to do it and not be precise, just trying to make it look good, without going the extra step..

my advice? find another body shop..

#9 ·
sciontc_mich, do i have to give them specific instructions for that? If I don't specify, will they automatically try to sell the package with the blending so as to get more $ from me? i.e., do I have to just ask them to "color match" or something like that?

This is interesting--these are completely different responses than what I'm receiving over at scionlife. Several people there said to have them blend it....huh...

really, I'd rather not pay extra (plus i kinda don't want them to touch the factory paint).

#10 ·
I don't think that blending is a complete scam as sciontc_mich has indicated...I had it done on my old Corolla after the bumper, which was replaced due to an accident 2 weeks after the car was purchased new, had faded to a different shade than the rest of the car. The car as a whole looked much better after the blending was done.

That having been said, it doesn't sound like blending is necessary in your case.

#11 ·
i didn't mean it was a scam.. i just see no need to start messing with a factory paint job if you don't have to.. blending will start messing with the baked-on factory paint..

your car is new enough that you don't have to do blending at all.. should just be able to paint the bumper.. any decent body shop can match paint without blending.. that's usually for older cars and they "blend" the new and old paint together.. but your new car? shouldn't even be needed at all.. if you keep getting this body shop who says it HAS to be done.. then find another shop..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.