Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint my brake calipers red, but does anybody have any idea how to do it and what to do it w/ (ie. special paint)?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
or you could get them powder-coated.

·
Registered
792 Posts
They make brake caliper paint... i picked up a can at a local tuner shop for $10... i saw an ad from jc whitney (2 cans for $10). It come in a spray can, which sucks cause you gotta tape off everything... i did it last weekend with my friend (to his protoge 5) and we decided to spray the paint into a cup and then use a paint brush (for model cars) to paint it on. Took 4 coats to get it a nice deep red but totally worth it and didnt have to tape off anything.

Nathan
ycart1201

PS: foliatec make some really good stuff but it is like $50/can...

·
Registered
936 Posts
just wanted to add, sometimes with those "high temp" paints, you dont get a lot of color choices. Brake calipers themselves dont really get that hot, and I have used regular paint many times on them without any type of peeling after many years under harsh conditions. So if you see a color you really like but its not high-temp, dont worry about it....it will work just fine. -T

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is my first post here, I've really enjoyed reading what you guys have to say. I was looking at caliper paint yesterday and it is rated at 500 degrees. That is the same as engine block paint. I picked out a gold spray to copy the look of Brembo on the G 35. Also, I painted the calipers on my Supra with enamel and it has lasted 5 years with no problem.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know you all get tired of hearing " I pick my car up next Saturday ", but when I pick it up next Sat. I'll try and get caliper pictures out to you as soon as they are painted. Where do I find "how to post pics" info?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by phammerz@Aug 8 2004, 09:20 AM
no i think he painted it white.

was the paint not glossy? or was it just the photo?
in all seriousness.........thats how they come from the factory.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've seen light grey before. I think its a combination of the metal composition, heat and oxidation. They will darken as they get older and exposed to weather...unless they are painted.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by spydirweb@Aug 8 2004, 01:25 PM
mine are a grey, not white like that.

I've never seen WHITE brake calipers from a factory car...
Mine are grey too... not white...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yeah, those are painted glossy white. Its a poor picture. But mine were grey and almost green from the factory. If you got white calipers from the factory, I'm kinda scared...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by FrostbytetC@Aug 8 2004, 04:53 PM
Yeah, those are painted glossy white.  Its a poor picture.  But mine were grey and almost green from the factory.  If you got white calipers from the factory, I'm kinda scared...

chalk the confusion up to a bad pic of ur calipers.

mine are turning this white/grey'ish color............its kinda close to the pic u posted!!!!!!! sorry, sometimes i make mistakes

1 - 20 of 26 Posts