Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
zoltiz and I painted my calipers silver -- he did the first two on Sunday evening, and I did the other two today. I really like the look -- understated but shiny at the same time.

Unfortunately, the pictures don't do the calipers justice. I can't wait til I get my Canon Digital Elph S500 for Hanukkah!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well, since Hanukkah already started, let's hope we'll see the good pics very soon
(not that I haven't seen these calipers in person).

·
Registered
427 Posts
What process did you use to paint them? What kind of paint? How much did you 'take apart' to do it?

I think they look great, much better than the stock color.. wtf is up with the weird stock paint color anyway?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the positive comments. To answer your questions, krzy and Labfish:

- The kit I used was one that zoltiz bought. It seemed pretty basic and consisted of a can of paint large enough to paint at least 20 sets of calipers, a stir-stick, paint thinner, and a paint brush. We also used a toothbrush and spray-on "caliper cleaner" to clean the calipers prior to applying the paint.
- The process consisted merely of jacking up one corner of the car at the marked jack point, removing the wheel, spraying the caliper with "caliper cleaner" and scrubbing it with the paint brush, allowing about 30 seconds for the cleaner to dry, shaking the paint well (1-2 minutes) and mixing it for a few seconds, and painting the caliper.
- I only used one coat of paint, although I was careful to go back and fill in any spots I had missed the first time.
- The only thing that needed to be removed was the wheel.
- The paint probably dried for about an hour or two after application before I drove the car.

Hope this helps. I'll give you more specifics on the paint kit once I get off my butt and go look at it. Thanks again for the kind words!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did use a paintbrush, Wolo.
Oh, and that reminds me, I didn't even need to use masking tape or anything like that.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Per zoltiz, it's basically the same as paint thinner. Can't see why it would have any detrimental effect. It evaporates in seconds anyway.

·
Registered
255 Posts
well...as i told Damon today while we were hangin out i wanted to paint my calipers a like hot fuschia pink color. I dono why but i think itd be bitchin on my car...kinda fits me, in my opinion. BUT Damon pretty much said he'd disown me if i did that, so i have to reconsider.
I'll prolly just do them gray or black until i dont have stock ones anymore. But looks good Marty...!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Well I don't think pink would go with your FM...silver or black would. Maybe white would look good. But if you had the SW tC then I'd say go fer the pink. Hehe.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Originally posted by Labfish@Dec 11 2004, 03:39 AM
LoL...I can't see you not having stock calipers? Going to change your brake system out Sweet?
She's going with those new brakes..... Flintstone Feet.... they're the newest thing!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, I dunno about bubble-gum calipers..
Thanks for the compliment, though!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.