Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be short, I hate the color of the plastic panels on the interior. The door panels, the dashboard panel...its all ugly and grey.

I'm thinking of giving it a bit of a zest-up. Anyone ever done this themselves? I know I'll need primer, sealant, and an adhesion promoter (the bulldog stuff I keep hearing about) I'm just hopin someone on here has done it before and could toss me a little bit of advice. I'm thinking about a dark blue to match the IIP exterior with silver accents on the guages and door handles.

·
Registered
895 Posts
My friend has most of his interior on his TC painted blue. He even painted the fabric on the doors, it is blue with some glitter in it. . It looks really good. I would show pictures, but he doesn't want me to. He is going to take it to some national car shows this year, and doesn't want to give away his secrets.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Microfiber upholstery.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i wouldn't mess with anything that is vinyl. once you put pressure on it the paint will crack, however if your looking to paint just the pieces that are hard plastic that is possible to do without cracking.

if your going to paint the interior just make sure you take your time. smooth everything out. unless you like the textured look but then you have no guarantee that the paint will stick.

anyway, the best way to do it(it will be time consuming) is to get some 80 grit sand paper and really ruff up the surface. it will also help to get the textured finish off quicker. once you have the surface to the way you want it, spray it with a filler primer. let it dry completely. next use 180 grit sand paper. sand all of the primer off until you can start to see the bare plastic again. you will be able to see the sand marks from the 80 grit sand paper filled in by the primer. now primer it with the filler primer one more time and then sand with 1000 or 2000 grit paper.(repeat that process until you feel you have made the panel as smooth as you want it) every time you sand it take a tack cloth(cloth you can buy at a paint store. it's sticky so it can clean dust off better than just wiping it down with a rag) and wipe it down before you primer it again.

now the piece is ready to have the final coat of paint sprayed onto it. you can either try to do it yourself or take it to a body shop and have them finish it.

if anyone wants to disagree then i have pics of my truck to prove them wrong. this process is how i painted the interior of my truck and it has yet to crack. i painted the pieces about 5 years ago and it still looks as nice as the day i first installed them.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the moment I've put this little project on hold. After the process you described, im going to need a few days at least to get it all done.

It's definitly a future project. I'm thinking I might do a black/white interior theme. Black seats with white accents, etc. Then paint the silver console pieces (all around the stereo,etc) white and have the rest done in a real rich black instead of the ugly grey. Seems like a decent fit for IIP. I'll end up re-doing the calipers in white to match the theme on the inside and then once I get my TYC's and those overlayed, it'll all be matching and flowing.

(dark blue would look retarded, ive now learned.)

It'll be a while though, there's a few things that come first

·
Registered
445 Posts
This guy did it...looks good all except for that baby blue fabric on the armrest

his car domain... Clicky

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The fabric on the door panels looks messy, especially the passenger door. The plastic parts look well done, but I can't say it looks nice. If you're going to do something like that, you need to go all out. Not just do little pieces and say it's done. It just looks bad with half-assed on top of it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Gross.

I like his grill though. Wonder which one it is...

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Originally posted by JustWhite@Feb 20 2006, 11:29 AM
This guy did it...looks good all except for that baby blue fabric on the armrest

his car domain... Clicky

I spoke to him a while back.... the fabric is blue suede

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just brought some interior pieces to the body shop to be painted FM so i should have them back soon and i'll post pics. I sent the window control pieces, the handle on the door panel, the cover for the gauge cluster, the center console, and the piece around the shifter.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Originally posted by onefunkyfreshdj+Mar 22 2006, 08:13 PM-->QUOTE (onefunkyfreshdj @ Mar 22 2006, 08:13 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-JustWhite
@Feb 20 2006, 11:29 AM

his car domain... Clicky

I spoke to him a while back.... the fabric is blue suede [/b]
That looks awesome.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.