Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be calling the dealer today to place my order for the 06 tC and I'm trying to drill out what options to get on the car. I've looked over YSTC.com a good bit and know half of the dealer options I can save a bundle on from Sparks. But my main question is are there any options that I should get from the dealer right from the start to avoid any issues with installing and such? XM? Pioneer Headunit or just standard one?

Options I know I would like for sure are.
Pedestal Spoiler
TYC (Sparks)
Auto Dimming Mirror (Was also going to do this one from Sparks but not sure if the wiring takes anything special)
2 in 1 Mats (Sparks)

Random few Performance mods, but I have a good idea on the install for those.

Any recommendations?

Edit: I am just now seeing that I as in the wrong section when posting this.. Sorry.. =( Admin's move to Scion talk plz!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Pretty much everything will be cheaper and easier to do yourself or by a friend or good shop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
He's right all of it will be cheaper if you dont buy it from the dealer but if you want all of those options on your car you have to consider your money situation. Do you normally have large sums of money you can spend on your car? I dont. The upside to having the dealer do it is that you can finance it. If you have a credit card you can do the same thing but i dont so you might want to get all of the must haves put on by the dealer so you can pay for them with the rest of the car.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
If you can't afford it without financing, you can't afford it. That's not to say that people don't buy that stuff anyway -- obviously they do.

An average person with moderate experience with a drill (and a lot of balls) can install the spoiler. If I had it to do all over again, though, I would have just paid someone to do it.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I am yet to see a standard Scion option that is better off being installed by a dealer. Pedestal spoiler might be the one, though. I got a lip spoiler and installed it myself (skipped the drilling, though - just used double-sided tape). Other than that - everything comes with detailed instructions and usually takes under an hour to install.

I personally did installs for the mirror, XM, mudflaps, TRD muffler, TRD springs, TRD swaybar, strut brace, TYCs, etc. and I'm a software engineer - not even close to a wrench monkey.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zoltiz, how hard was the mirror to install? Any wires that need to be run or is everything plug-n-play?

Purchasing parts after the fact is not what I'm worried about, it's the Fiance that I'm worried about.
See this is supposed to be our daily "commuter" car... I'm selling my 01 A4 1.8T for this since I'm getting up there on the miles not counting that we already have her 04 A4 1.8T that we take out on the weekends. This is going to be cheaper on gas and back on a warranty, that's what our main focus with the tC.

The only option that I was truly worried about as the spoiler since that requires them drilling the trunk lid. If I get it with the car it follows the warranty. Otherwise it's only covered for a year if I have them do it later on.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I did Mud Flaps, Strut Bar, TRD Muffler, Shift Knob. Had some help with the other stuff.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice, this I'll use for sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I chose not to do any dealer add-ons I didnt want to raise the price of the car.. Besides its cheaper to do it myself and alot easier to do aftermarket..

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you plan on getting the springs and shocks I would suggest having the dealer do it. They have all of the proper equipment and will re-align it properly. They will also warranty it and you will still have the old (new really) shocks/springs for future sale on ebay or something.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by JFBP4991@Jan 7 2006, 06:17 PM
what is the Homelink thing on the mirror?
does it open the garaage door and thats it??
It can operate many different remote control devices. For example, I use mine to open the front gate of my complex.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4+Jan 7 2006, 06:26 PM-->QUOTE (basilisk4 @ Jan 7 2006, 06:26 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-JFBP4991
@Jan 7 2006, 06:17 PM
what is the Homelink thing on the mirror?
does it open the garaage door and thats it??
It can operate many different remote control devices. For example, I use mine to open the front gate of my complex. [/b]
so all it can do is open doors, gates, fences etc.?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
when i was ordering my scion tc which i just did on the 4th of january. i went to www.scion.com and i looked at the prices on everything. and then i went to google and researched a little bit on the parts i wanted to buy if i could get them cheaper. Also check ebay for some stuff. alot of people sell there stock parts because they after buying the car put on aftermarket parts. Good luck

Adam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.