Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the TC have Limited slip or an Open differential? I thought it was open. I locked the e-brake and dumped first gear. About 15-20 seconds later, I hit second. The rpms drop but then began to rise once again. The car gets to about 5k rpms and I release the e-brake. The car slowly takes off leaving a HUGE cloud of white smoke and two REALLY long black marks. The pavement was eaten down about ¼ inch where the front tires sat. The question is why did both tires spin if I have an open diff?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Open diff. Just because it's open doesn't mean it isn't driving both wheels. Try that in a turn and you'll see the problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured that if both wheels have the same amount torque driving them as well as the same amount of traction that they would both spin.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Aug 8 2005, 12:54 PM
If both spun at the exact same rate all the time, as lo bux hinted at, you wouldn't be able to turn because one obviously needs to possess the ability to spin faster than the other.
I never said that. I thought that it was open because the car spun one wheel when turning. I assumed that both tires had the same traction and that is why I spun both. Not because I had a locker. So i was right about the car having an open diff. and i am fairly sure of my assumption mentioned above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.