Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere around here I saw someone say that you should ground all audio components to the same spot. Now does this include the Head unit as well? I have two amps, new head unit and security system that I have been installing this weekend. I just need to know weather I should run a ground wire from the HU to the same spot that the amps are grounded all the way to the back seat.
thanks

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Your head unit has a ground in the wiring, which is fine. You should limit your ground wires on your amps to under 3 foot to keep noise at a minimum. The security system can be grounded just about anywhere also. There is no need to ground everything to the same spot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man,

I really could have sworn that Alpman said to ground them all at one point to eliminate ground loops. I could be wrong but that seems to be sticking out in my head.
Anyway so I am in the process of running all of my wires in the car and I am just trying to find the best routs for all of them so I dont get any noise. Noise in the sound system is a big issue for me and I dont want any. Im going to try to draw a diagram of my car and where the wires are running right now so I can get some constructive critisizm.

Also I have to run a set of RCA cables as shown in the picture paralell to the power wire of the second amp. How far away from the power wire should the RCA cables be? Or should I just run the RCA cables down the center console crossing the power wire at a 90 degree angle? Basically just make the RCA cable comming from the driver side amp go towards the trunk and then loop arount and cross the power and ground wires 90 degrees in the center of the car.

thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok I just uploaded a new one with color. Its a bit larger so it might take a little bit to download if your on a slow conection. Anyway here is the legend:

Red = +power (splits into 2 at dist. block)

Black = ground

Purple = Accesory wire (from head unti to big amp, then it goes
from big amp to small amp--is this ok?)

Blue = RCA cables (Dark Blue goes to large amp)
(Light Blue goes to small amp)

Green = Speaker wire from sub to large amp

Orange = Amps

Yellow = Alpine head unit

thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
Ideally you should have all your ground points from the same location to minimize the possibility of ground loops. However, practically it is not always possible. Grounding the head unit w/ the factory ground in a big no-no when running amps. This is the #1 culprit for introducing engine noise into the system. The factory ground for the head unit is not a good reference to ground and is shared by other electronic components of the vehicle. You should at the very least chassis ground the head unit to a metal point in the dash. All the rest of your wiring looks fine.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Most everything looks fine, you may try making sure the RCAs cross power 2 at a reasonable distance, just don't have them wrapped together. However, better RCAs are sheilded pretty well against most things like that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So Alpman,

Would you run a ground from your head unit to the back seat to ground it at the smame point that the two amps are grounded? Or would you just ground it on the chasis in the center console next to the stick shift? Keep in mind I really dont want any noise in my system.

Also, the power wire for the smaller amp is run at the front of the back seat and the RCA cables are run at the back of the back seat. Will this be a large enought distance away from one another to eliminate possible noise? The distance is about 2' away from one another. Honestly i havent actually run that pair of RCA cables yet, so Im not positive that I have enought cabe to run it that way, I might be a little short in wich case I will just come down the center of the car with those RCA cabels.

Oh and I dont know if you all noticed but I am using one Accesory wire for both amps. (by running one from HU to big amp then one from big amp to small amp)
Is this ok or do I need to run two Accesory wires from the HU?

thanks

PS: oh by the way my speaker wires for the door components are run on the right side of the car and along the firewall.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
adambeazley  Posted on Aug 1 2005, 01:28 PM
  So Alpman,

Would you run a ground from your head unit to the back seat to ground it at the smame point that the two amps are grounded? Or would you just ground it on the chasis in the center console next to the stick shift? Keep in mind I really dont want any noise in my system.[/b]
Not alpman, but a ground wire that long probably isn't a good idea. Just ground it somewhere in the dash, there is plenty of metal up in there. I wouldn't say even the center console, just find a piece of metal and use a self tapper. Also I don't think you are going to have an issue with noise, the car is insulated fairly well.

Also, the power wire for the smaller amp is run at the front of the back seat and the RCA cables are run at the back of the back seat. Will this be a large enought distance away from one another to eliminate possible noise? The distance is about 2' away from one another. Honestly i havent actually run that pair of RCA cables yet, so Im not positive that I have enought cabe to run it that way, I might be a little short in wich case I will just come down the center of the car with those RCA cabels.[/b]
That is a large enough distance, 2" is plenty, there isn't enough current to radiate that distance.
Oh and I dont know if you all noticed but I am using one Accesory wire for both amps. (by running one from HU to big amp then one from big amp to small amp)
Is this ok or do I need to run two Accesory wires from the HU?

thanks[/b]
Just splitting the wire should be fine, I wouldn't, however, run from one amp to another, just my personal preference, not sure it matters.

PS: oh by the way my speaker wires for the door components are run on the right side of the car and along the firewall.[/b]
I would try to keep all wires seperate, power down one side, speakers wires down the middle, RCAs to the other side. This is just my personal prefence, keeps bunches of wires down and keeps a neat look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.