Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that with the Scions, they push the "Pure Price" format. But I help run a business, I know about cost & margin, and that regardless of what they want to stick the prices on these at, there is flexibility. I'm curious as to what extent anyone here has talked/haggled with their dealer and under what conditions? I'm getting ready to order my '06 at the beginning of July, and dont want to go back to talk to my dealer and pay out sticker price unless I really have to
(call me stingy, or frugal, you decide).

My main reason for asking this is that this will be my first new car purchase, and I dont have a very lengthy credit history - I'm only 21. They offer the iFinance program through the dealer that has the stipulation of requiring your payments to be no more than 15% of your gross income. The way I calculated it with him, my payments would be about 17% of my gross with the installed options I want (we pulled stuff off to bring the price down that I can always add later bit by bit).

So please, tell me your experiences, and dealers, if you were selling to me, would you find a way to accomodate?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
there will be no flexability on our part in regards to price.

the flexability will be on your part, how much money you put down and your credit score. Additionally, the accessories you select will cause the price to go up or down depending on what you do.

I assure you in the year that i have been selling scions we have not budged once. not ever. for nobody. in fact damon and I both paid the sticker AND WE WORK HERE.

I would run your credit and see where we sit. There are a lot of factors that go into the equation. How long on the job? Do you have any credit at all? If so, is any of that negative? How much money do you make a month? And, you may want to consider a co-buyer.

If you haven't thought about those things, you need to worry about a little more than if the dealers are going to lower the price for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've thought about all of those things, yes. I dont know yet what my exact total and tax will come to, and how long I will wait and save for my down payment before I purchase. I'd like to put about 2000 down plus trade (my poor truck atm is worth MAYBE $800
)

I didn't realize how tight they were on these, then. Sorry to assume otherwise

Another question that you may know the answer to, but may vary by dealer. If say I want to order one now and put my deposit down, but don't want to actually purchase until say, mid-september. Will a dealer keep it on the lot for that long without selling it? Or would they ask that I just order one when I am ready to purchase?

·
Registered
542 Posts
it's also a lot cheaper to get some of the accessories online and install them yourself. (if you're comfortable messing around with your car)

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
wow, i just read what i wrote. i was hinda harsh.
<rant>
here's why:

I just got done having several conversations with several people about pure pricing. I am irratated. One guy told me that he didn't think the tC was worth the 17K that was on the window. I told him that was funny because my mom thought I bought a 23k car the first time she saw it. I must be an idiot because I work at a dealership and I paid sticker too.

anyway, I am not flaming you. I just wish people would get it. I do not lie to people. I don't need to, or want to. I am telling the facts. If people want to buy a car based on their ability to haggle go shopping on the toyota side of the house. Don't even get me started on insentives. I told one guy that the best insentive on the scion is that you get to drive it.

</rant>

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by TBova@Jun 20 2005, 04:21 PM
I've thought about all of those things, yes.  I dont know yet what my exact total and tax will come to, and how long I will wait and save for my down payment before I purchase.  I'd like to put about 2000 down plus trade (my poor truck atm is worth MAYBE $800
)
that sounds like a good amount. figure about 10% more for tax and fees.
I didn't realize how tight they were on these, then.  Sorry to assume otherwise
it's alright. I think I cleared up my feelings on that a few posts above this one.

Another question that you may know the answer to, but may vary by dealer.  If say I want to order one now and put my deposit down, but don't want to actually purchase until say, mid-september.  Will a dealer keep it on the lot for that long without selling it?  Or would they ask that I just order one when I am ready to purchase?
I would not even order your car until the begining of sept. if you told me you didn't want you car until then. I would ask for a deposit and get you the car as close to the time you were hoping for. Some dealerships do things a little differently. That is how d and i roll.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, alot of the accessories I plan to put on myself. But stuff like the ground effects kit (I like the factory one, not a fan of huge rice grills and panels) and fog lights mainly, I'd like to be on from time of purchase. The rest of the stuff I would do on my own.

Edit: I tried to get my FICO score once, Experian told me there was some error and refunded my money for the report
. I havent tried since, but I know that the difference between a 6% and a 15% rate can move my payment up or down as much as 80 or so dollars. If I could shoot for under 300, financing about 15500-16k total, that would be optimal. 310 is about 15% of my gross at the moment.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
I would have the dealership add those items when the car comes in. having the port install those items adds a bit to your wait time.

if you were getting a car from me this is how it would go....

you order a car

we get your car

you buy the car and drive away

we make an appointment to add your stuff

you drive away in a rental (on us) if the install takes the day

you get into your tC and drive away, having the opportunity to show off
your car to the same people a second time because now, it has all kinds of cool stuff on it.

this process seems to work well for us.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sounds best, waiting until near when I am ready to buy to order it. And yeah, all of the other accessories, like the mats and such, I would probably just purchase as the money I'd be setting aside specifically for those would build up, just to keep my payments down overall.

Thanks for the advice, and sorry again if I struck a nerve in the beginning
(oh, and I do agree that the best incentive is that you get to drive it, I only took an automatic for a test, but was still way impressed)

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
i was more the guy i was just talking to than you... you just got to see the unfiltered comments. i still luv ya.

if your car comes in with the floormats, just take them. We order all the cars with them. 90% of the people want them so we get 100% of the cars with them. they stay on the car because that is the rules. sorry. just letting you know. they are nice anyway. you can't get that sort of thing from wall mart for 20 bucks.

If you need any more help feel free to ask... shoot, if you live in california I can get you all set up on a tC.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Just another example of Mori (and D indirectly) pwning! I think overall, though, Scion salepeople who get the Scion idea are some the best salesman around because they have no reason to rely on any of the "old skool" tactics to "get you in this car today." Its not often you joke around with the finance manager at a car dealership! Sorry, for that. Please continue the question and answer session.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Actually, my dealer did remove my floor mats and give me a credit, but that was the ONLY concession he made. Ditto everything Moriarty said. These cars are still underpriced. Just wait until you get it and see how envious everyone will be and how smart you will look for getting such a great car at a great price.
I thought my salesman was the ultimate jerk for not haggling with me, until I realized, hey, this policy is for real and this car is worth the price. Now I am in a car club and am great friends with the sales guy.
Enjoy your new Scion!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was able to shave off the dealer fee by getting the strut bar and mats for free and paid for the sills.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.