Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got the TRD intake, its pretty nice, i like that is has a bracket for the ECM (not sure if thats the right name but its the sensor that goes into the intake) so i doesn't just dangle like some of the other intakes.

Anyways my question is this, How do you "oil" a filter?

On the instructions it says to oil the filter so it capture more dust but if you put too much on it can through the sensor off and give you a CEL

· Registered
4,234 Posts
Make sure you only oil it on the bottom-- you'd be amazed how many people I've seen just hose the whole thing down. Oil it as if you were applying the first thin coat of spray paint on something. If you see a drip, blob, or run, you sprayed it on too close/fast. You're going to clean it again in 5k miles-- it doesn't need to be saturated. (too much oil is worse than too little)

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Feb 13 2006, 01:05 PM
Make sure you only oil it on the bottom-- you'd be amazed how many people I've seen just hose the whole thing down. Oil it as if you were applying the first thin coat of spray paint on something. If you see a drip, blob, or run, you sprayed it on too close/fast. You're going to clean it again in 5k miles-- it doesn't need to be saturated. (too much oil is worse than too little)
What do you mean on the bottom? the bottom of my filter is all rubber and the sides are what has the filter part, and what do you use, could i just use WD-40?

· Registered
372 Posts
Not sure about oiling the bottom stuff, but I can answer the oil question. There is an oil available specifically for that job. My Green filter came with its own, and it is what I use. Using WD-40 or some other oil not tailored for the job may produce, um, less than desirable results!

Hope that helps!

· Registered
4,234 Posts
I was referring to the drop-in filter when I said "bottom", that is, the side facing down. On a cone, you would oil what scientists call "the outside". With oil made for the job. We call it "filter oil". All of the oils for foam filters are pretty much the same, and all of the oils for cotton filters are pretty much the same. K&N oil is cheap and readily available.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Feb 15 2006, 08:25 AM
I was referring to the drop-in filter when I said "bottom", that is, the side facing down. On a cone, you would oil what scientists call "the outside". With oil made for the job. We call it "filter oil". All of the oils for foam filters are pretty much the same, and all of the oils for cotton filters are pretty much the same. K&N oil is cheap and readily available.
Thanks for the help

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Feb 15 2006, 11:25 AM
not the scientists! ROFLMAO!

Superscharged, PLEASE PLEASE let me know how it works out for u how it sounds and if the whistle gets louder and if u feel any gains at all. and anything else that u feel u should tell us!!!! the injen is the king right now but mcgeorge told me that the TRD should be comperable to the injen in terms of gains. i sooooooo want that TRD! keep me posted!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.