Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I was hoping that you all could give me some advice. I had my oil changed at Wal-mart. Before you go on telling me that I should have done it myself please note that I just had knee surgery less than three weeks ago. So climbing under the car wasn't really an option.
While driving home last night I heard a clank, like a huge rock flew up under the car. A few miles later I heard a sort of rattling noise over the radio. I turned off the radio and tried my best to find the noise to no avail.
When I pulled into my driveway I could smell burnt oil. I popped the hood, looked around no smoke; looked under the car, oil was EVERYWHERE. I grabbed a pan and to catch what was left draining from the pan, which was less than a quart. After a closer inspection I noticed that there wasn't an oil plug!! It must have been the cluck I heard coming home.
The CEL nor the Oil Light came on during the drive, but I am wondering if there was some serious damage done despite the fact that there was no indicator lights. I have never had this happen to me ever before.
If anyone could give me some advice on what I should look for in the coming days, weeks, months, or year as to engine damage that would be great!
Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow! First thing I would do is take alot of pictures! Take pictures of the pan with the plug missing, oil in your driveway and where you pulled over when you heard the noise. Go back to Walmart, inform them of what they did and see if you can get them to pay for the car to be towed to the dealer. If not, then obviously keep the tow reciept. Let the dealer check the motor. Don't know how far you drove but driving the engine dry is most certainly gonna cause damage. This should all be Walmart's bill. Sucks because lawyers will most likely have to be involved.

I wouldn't put a new plug in, don't touch anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.
I called Wal-mart and they were actually pretty cool with the whole situation. They paid to have it towed to the dealer. Now I am just waiting to find out what the verdict is on the engine. I should have known better than to take it there. Boy hind-sight huh?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wal-Mart bad. They didn't tighten the filter correctly on a Chevy Turbo Diesel I owned and it cost them twice what the truck was worth to replace the engine plus rental.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, just seeing this post from 2009, so here’s an 8-ish year follow-up.
Since this happened the “super scion” has about 220k miles on it now. Call me lucky, but I have had zero engine issues with this car. I’ve kept up all the maintenance myself over the years because this was a lesson not to let others mess with my cars. She’s no longer the daily like she was a few years ago, but she’s not going anywhere because a car this loyal deserves a forever home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts