Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago my 2006 Scion tC started to make loud grinding noises.. And before I could figure out what was going on, it died on me on the highway.. I tried to restart it, and the motor would not turn over.. Had a mechanic come out to help, and come to find out there was no oil whatsoever on the dipstick.. The bottom of the motor was clean, we found no leaks, and there was no smell of burned oil or smoke.. I was in need of an oil change, with it being at 5,418 from "last oil change." ( I had made plans to get the oil changed the next day) the only conclusion we could come up with was that there was not enough oil to begin with, or any oil at all! I have gotten every oil change done at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle..
I went to the dealership to talk to them about the possibility that they made a mistake and ruined the motor in my car.. He said that it's possible the motor burned all the oil.. Which makes no sense.. The motor burning all 4 quarts in 5,000 miles??
I really need help from you guys!! have you seen or heard anything similar to my problem?? And is possible the motor burned all the oil?? I really think the dealership screwed up, didn't put any oil in the car, and are trying to deny it.. Please give me some feedback!

·
Gynecomastia
5,925 Posts
its can burn and leak. have you seen any oil puddles where you park? if not your burning the oil. it will be an internal issue...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow
Id definitely get that checked
and keep extra quarts in the car until the issue is resolved !
You really don`t need a blown motor!

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
Engines use oil normally. It is not uncommon for one to go through a quart or so (especially as they get more mileage on them) between oil changes without you noticing smoke. No oil on the stick means it is about 1.5 qts or more low. Various factors, the largest of which being wear and tear, causes this. You may have learned a valuable lesson on checking your oil regularly unfortunately.

It really depends on how low on oil it really is before anyone can say it wqs due to a bad oil change. You always should check the level after someone else performs an oil change and then check it at approximately each fuel fill up.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
When I worked at the dealership, we had various cars come in like this. Its normally from neglect, I have over 55k on my 06 and it doesn't burn any with 6k/6month OCIs. That being said, Toyota actually states "It is normal for an engine to burn 1qt per 1,000 miles." Yes, you read that right.

Even though it says this, you SHOULD get your engine warrantied IF you have proper documentation of everything, but that's if your within warranty.

It is also the owner's duty to keep an eye on oil level... my MR2 burns oil, I fill it up every 500 or so miles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i worked at an oil change place for quite a while and many times we had vehicles come in they would show no oil on the dipstick before we started.
only a few times have i ever heard of vehicles leaving shops with no oil in them. if they did not fill it with oil, you would have found out at the next stop light. the longest lasting car with no oil in it was a jeep straight 6 and it lasted about 3 or 4 miles up the road before completely seizing.

double check to make sure thats what happened. also, you will have to get the dealership to pull the plug out in front of you and actually see how much oil was in it at all. but, as everyone knows, bad/worn seals can cause oil burn. i used to have a 96 saturn that burned about a quart every two weeks driving normally, about 1,000 miles a month. always double check viscosity of the oil they give you, i went to a 7-hour seminar by penzoil about how that is a huge factor for your seals and everything really.

either way, if you make enough noise, they'll do SOMEthing. thats one thing i've learned from working at a car shop.

·
Ignorance-intolerant
7,695 Posts
I think the car burns oil faster the closer you get to 6000 miles on an oil change. I always changed mine at 3-4k but my last one i pushed to about 52xx and when i was on my last leg of my drive to CA i got extremely low on Oil. Like to the point where my oil light came on (pretty terrifying).

I never smelled oil burning at all but i was definitely missing at least 2qts. I got it all resolved in time so she's fine now but i think when the oil is older it just burns faster.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Did your mechanic friend do any dye type check for cracks/leaks or just a quick look? A lot of times slow/small oil leaks are hard to detect, and is possible your burning oil in conjunction with another issue. Take a look in your coolant too. If you have an in block crack leading to a coolant passage you may not see anything on the engines exterior

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same EXACT problem. I do all my own oil changes. I had 2000 miles on my last oil change and had to put 2 quarts in it. Just checked it now and was bone dry after only another 500 miles. There are no leaks and no smoke. I tightened all the block bolts down before last change and still nothing. Please help. I go thru about 9 quarts of oil between oil changes. Gets a bit costly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Two days ago my 2006 Scion tC started to make loud grinding noises.. And before I could figure out what was going on, it died on me on the highway.. I tried to restart it, and the motor would not turn over.. Had a mechanic come out to help, and come to find out there was no oil whatsoever on the dipstick.. The bottom of the motor was clean, we found no leaks, and there was no smell of burned oil or smoke.. I was in need of an oil change, with it being at 5,418 from "last oil change." ( I had made plans to get the oil changed the next day) the only conclusion we could come up with was that there was not enough oil to begin with, or any oil at all! I have gotten every oil change done at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle..
I went to the dealership to talk to them about the possibility that they made a mistake and ruined the motor in my car.. He said that it's possible the motor burned all the oil.. Which makes no sense.. The motor burning all 4 quarts in 5,000 miles??
I really need help from you guys!! have you seen or heard anything similar to my problem?? And is possible the motor burned all the oil?? I really think the dealership screwed up, didn't put any oil in the car, and are trying to deny it.. Please give me some feedback!
I had a 2007 Jeep Wrangler that burned 3 quarts every 5,000 miles. The dealership told me that it was normal for a vehicle with less than 25K miles to burn that much oil. I didn't agree and traded the thing. It never smoked, never leaked and it ran fine. The only explanation I could come up with is that oil was getting past the rings and burning but the catalytic converter kept the vehicle from smoking. After doing some research on the internet I found that this happens across a wide range of vehicles / manufacturers.

Long story short, you have to check your oil regularly. It is entirely possible that you had a full load of oil and burned it off in the engine. My car has 800 miles on it and I've already checked the oil once.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
What type of oil is being used as well will effect burn off. If you use Royal Purple (crap) it burns off very easily. My 06 STi consumed oil (notice I didnt say burned oil there is a difference between the 2) my 2011 STi does not its all in how you drive the car and maintain it regularly. I do not agree with 6,xxx plus mile oil changes.

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
I do 10k mile oil changes on the wife's tC and 12k mile changes on my IS-F. I send the oil to Blackstone for analysis, and the results always come back great. Blackstone told me to go to 14k on the next load of oil

I track my IS-F and still have no issues with extended OCI.

I once had a GTS Celica ('92) with a 5F-SE engine. I bought it new and followed the recommended break-in procedures to a T. It burned oil - 1 quart every 1k miles. I have never followed the factory recommendation since, and none of my cars burn oil, not even my Supra with 152k miles on it. None of my cars go less than 10k on an oil change because analysis of the used oil says the engine is fine with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I heard the TCS burn oil than they should after I a certain amount of milage On them..one lady said she burn a quart ever three tank of gas she purchase.. So your best bet is get rid of that car and get something different if you don't trust it..I got an 07 myself I can see that it burn oil too..I almost find myself in your situation on the highway too but it's the mechanic check the oil level when got my alignment done..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts