Scion tC Forums banner

Oil consumption

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  JstLouiePlz 
#1 ·
The Honda V-Tec engines are prone to buring oil. How is the 2.4 Tc engine with oil consumption? I don't like engines that burn any oil.

#2 ·
i have never seen or heard of a toyota 2.4L customer ever having problems with burning oil. having used this engine for years now, i would think we would have had a few customers bring back their camry's for the issue. i would say you are worry free as far as the engine burning oil.

#3 ·
Originally posted by buster@Jan 28 2005, 08:05 PM
The Honda V-Tec engines are prone to buring oil. How is the 2.4 Tc engine with oil consumption? I don't like engines that burn any oil.
I do not think oil burning will be an issue with the tC engine. I sometimes expect a little oil to slip past the rings on a engine in a new car until breakin is achieved and of course it really does on all engines..new or broken in.. I only have about 4,000 miles on my tC and have not added any oil or seen any change in the oil level since I took delivery. My Dodge has always used about 1/2 quart every 2,000 miles since day one. The fact that the tC has used no oil will probably make me make the decision to switch over to synthetic oil at the 5,000 mile oil change rather than at the one after that. Fear not..this is not an oil burning engine by nature or design.

#4 ·
I'd say it doens't burn or leak oil.

**Goes to check oil level for first time***

late

#7 ·
Originally posted by Ryan'sTc@Jan 29 2005, 11:32 AM
A engine should never burn oil. That is a bad sign, your friends probley didn't properly break in there engines and as a result the rings nerver set correctly. Witch means the engine will never be right without a full breakdown of the internals.
Not quite so. Every engine burns some oil on every single cycle. It is impossible to keep oil out of the combustion chamber, however, it should be minimized. All engine manufacturers go to great lengths to minimize oil contamination, but it is impossible to be 100% oil free.

If you believe your engine is not burning oil very slowly, what you are really seeing is contaminants (water, acids, by-products of combustion) getting into your oil and keeping the level fairly constant.

#9 ·
No, white smoke would be a headgasket or cracked head. Blue smoke would be rings or valve stem seals, but your cat will hide anything less than a fully blown cylinder. Cats do an amazing job of cleaning up bad exhaust.

Valve stem seal failures are pretty common on higher mileage Toyotas. You get thick blue smoke on start-up. It's way more common than poor ring sealing and when this starts, you burn about a quart every 3000. AMHIK.

#10 ·
yeah, he's got a point there. white smoke isn't oil...and every car does burn, eat, use, whatever, some oil. regardless of how it's broken in. good to hear you've torn down some motors though. did you have any left over bolts? that would cause some white smoke you know...

just playin'

if your car burns oil...it runs. think of it as a good sign.

#12 ·
Thanks for the responses. I guess what I was getting at was whether the 2.4 Toyota engine burns oil like the Honda VTec engines, which is normal and fine. Many high reving 4 bangers burn oil due to the nature of their construction. The Vtec engines found in the Acura RSX and other cars do tend to burn oil. Many times it's from a vacuum effect pulling oil out past the rings. My 2001 Corolla burned oil but made it to 175k with no problems. The 2.4 is a nice size 4 cylinder. I'll have to drive one soon. The Corolla 1.8 was loud and buzzed over 3k rpms. I didn't like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.