Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have an automatic 2006 scion tc, i got it about 3weeks ago.

well i have just hit the 1200 miles mark and i was wondering when i should get my oil change?

even though in the manual it says 3000 miles, people have told me that it is better to get an oil change at around 1500 miles.

however, i was wondering if any of you guys could answer my question.

why is it better to get an oil change earlier? i'd like a technical explanation pleasee! thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by sciontC2006new@Dec 7 2005, 02:48 PM
hey guys i have an automatic 2006 scion tc, i got it about 3weeks ago.

well i have just hit the 1200 miles mark and i was wondering when i should get my oil change?

even though in the manual it says 3000 miles, people have told me that it is better to get an oil change at around 1500 miles.

however, i was wondering if any of you guys could answer my question.

why is it better to get an oil change earlier? i'd like a technical explanation pleasee! thanks!
you will have no problem waiting untill the 5000 miles recomended in the owners manual.

I got mine at 1000 miles. but, this was suggested to me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Change it when the oil light comes on.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Older cars didn't require an oil change at 3,000 miles either. Well, I'm not sure how old we're talking, but my 1989 Corolla required an oil change every 7,500 miles under normal driving conditions. The "3 months or 3,000 miles" thing is a clever (and pervasive) advertising campaign by engine oil manufacturers and oil change shops.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had an 84 accord didnt change the oil for 50,000 miles still ran like a top. I change my oil every 7500 miles w/ synthetic on my Tacoma 90k and still running like new. My dealer told me they wont change the TCs till 5k no matter what. VWs i think are 7500 and BMWs are now 15k for oil changes

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got my first one at 1200, then to my shock, they put 3200 on the sticker saying I should get the next one only 2000 miles after the first. They can blow smoke...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I'm sure this topic is elsewhere also. However, speaking from decades of experience, I'd say follow the manual which says 5,000 miles or 6 months - whichever comes first. (3,000 miles really is a ploy by service businesses.)

IF you chage to full synthetic at your first oil change, you won't have to worry about going a little long. However, for purposes of maintaining warranty, you should still try to meet the 5,000miles/6 month criteria. Yes, the synthetic will cost you more - but if you crank the numbers, it's a relatively small price to pay for greatly improved protection (and maybe a little improvement in performance). My 1996 4-Runner has 220,000 miles, and the engine runs like new (and still tows a 4,200 pound boat and trailer). I've used Mobil 1 since the first oil change, and religiously changed the oil at 7,500 mile intervals (that's what is recomended for that particular engine by Toyota).

Congrats on the new vehicle, and enjoy it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i know that the owners manual recommends getting the oil change between 3000-5000 miles, however i have read articles online that the performance in the car can be improved if the first oil change is around the 1500 miles mark. do you guys know about this? i just wanted to know what you guys thought about this for a tc in particular.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
first oil change is due at the 1ooo mile mark. thats the end of the factory break in period. then on to the 5000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep, the 1,000 mile mark is key ..... after that initial oil change you just need to get ur done, around every 5k like all the others have said.. information give to me by informents and dealer...

.......and now you no, and knowing is half the battle......

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Oops... Didn't change it at 1K.. i'm at 4800 now. I'll try to change it before i put on another 200 miles

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
could soemone explain to me why cars need an oil change at the 1000 mile mark, how does that improve performance compared to changing the oil at 5000 miles? also, what oil would be the best?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
This has been covered, but I will answer your question again. Changing the oil was traditionally recommended shortly after the break-in period in order to get rid of any metal shavings that had entered the oil during the break-in. Lance says that this is not really necessary any longer with today's newer engines.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Synthetic will last much longer than 5,000 miles. Organic oil will last more than 5,000 miles under normal conditions, honestly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.