Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going around to all the tc forums I frequent to let people know..

I got my oil changed from the dealer at 1000 miles and never checked their work.. 1000 miles later I checked and found it's about 1/3-1/2 quart High.. I had them drain it.. I know probably there is no damage but to let everyone know they said that they filled it with 4.0 quarts, well seems maybe 4 is too much for the tC's engine.. maybe 3.7 is more like it?

Just letting everyone know to check their oil and make sure it's at or below the Full mark..

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by scion tC owners manual
ENGINE LUBRICATION
Oil capacity (drain and refill), L (qt., Imp.
qt.):
With filter 3.8 (4.0, 3.3)
Without filter 3.6 (3.8, 3.2)
“Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Scion
vehicle. Use Scion approved “Genuine Motor
Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following
grade and viscosity.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well, it's very logical - 4 quarts for a completely dry engine. Granted there is some oil left unless you shake and rattle your car till the last drop comes out, but even then there will be oil left, so putting 4 quarts is just stupid. Dealers...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Per Scion factory tech manual

Capacity:
Drain and refill with oil filter change 3.8 liters (4.0 US qts, 3.3 lmp. qts)
Drain and refill without oil filter change 3.6 liters (3.8 US qts, 3.2 lmp. qts)
Dry fill 4.5 liters (4.8 US qts, 4.0 lmp. qts)

This will vary depending on how much oil drains out when you do the oil change . Use common since fill and check if you need more add more don't just dump all 4 qts in and assume its correct .

You will drain more out of a car that has not been running than one that was just driven into a shop and put on a lift.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Wow, Paul? Nice to see you here. Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks mcgeorge and zoltiz..

exactly what I was thinking about, that they didn't let all the oil drain out.. and just dumped 4 qt's in and expected everything to be fine.. needless to say I won't be going back to that dealership.. i think that 0.5 qt high wouldn't do that much damage to the engine, so i'm not going to worry about it.. They use to do that all the time on the civic.. and it lasted.. but just to make others aware too..

I will be trying another dealership for my oil changes.. why is it so hard to get anyone to do anything right? sheesh

oh yeah welcome mcgeorgeparts!! I love that place!! keep up the good work!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yep, I placed my first order from mcgeorgeparts last week....got my parts the very next day, and the e-mails to keep in touch during the whole progress were awesome!

Once I save up some money, I'll definitely be hitting the site again. For now though, I just tell everyone I know about the site so they can have a great experience to!

(Speaking of which, I ordered some mudflaps from eBay the same day I ordered my other parts from mcgeorgeparts....I was testing them both out. I got my mudflaps almost a week later, they don't look new, and they guy didn't even send the parts kit with it (screws, pop-in clips, etc.)...so I was pretty disappointed. Still haven't gotten the dern things installed b/c of that....grr.)

Thumbs up to mcgeorgeparts.com!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts