Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Scion TC who hasn't even hit 100K and I have been noticing that I was burning thru oil pretty quick, like every 3 weeks I would need to put in 2 quarts of oil. I took it a mechanic who diagnosed that my oil was more than likely burning thru my exhaust, since there was no leak no sight on my car. I then started googling my problem, and find that its a common thing on Scion models from 2007 to 2009! Its actually defect with the piston rings not holding up to the size of the engine!

My mechanic gave me an estimate of $3500 for a new engine, with labor...is this a fair price? I can't believe that I need a brand new engine BEFORE I hite 100K! However I do not know much about cars, and I want to permanently fix my car and not have this problem again down the line. Does anyone have any advice or had the same problem?:(:rant::thumbdown::wallbash:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Assuming that by saying you haven't hit 100K miles that your some where around 90K and on a 5 year old car that not a big difference. Candlejack is right, get a second opinion or even a third. There is a lot of information still missing to get an idea if it's a good deal. Is that price for a new, rebuilt or salvaged engine? Is the work being done in South Carolina or Southern California? Are we talking dealership (seriously doubt that knowing Toyota), Certified ASE Shop, or some professional shade tree. Does the engine come with some sort of warranty? A lot can go into that price to make it good or bad. Just saying.

·
Registered
189 Posts
there was a TSB for it. Toyota recognized there was an issue with it. As far as I know you would go in and mention it, they would then mark the level the oil is at and make you come back back in a month I believe it was and check the level again to see if it was excessively burning oil. The part that upset people was that they would fix it if your car was still under warranty, if not then you would have to pay for the repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Esh To be exact I'm at 92,500 miles on a 5 year old car. The $3500 is a rough estimate minimum for the price of my CURRENT engine being REBUILT with a one year warranty. So its not a new engine. I guess I misunderstood him. Its a professional auto shop. I've gone to them after my warranties expired with the Toyota dealership. They have been really honest and up front with me during my past repairs, and I trust them. They are located in Southern California, local auto shop. But now knowing its not a new motor...is that still a good price?

@c500129 My car isn't under warranty anymore, since I've past the 60K mark. It just sucks that there was TSB for it, and you wouldn't know about it until you come across the problem. I can try and see what the Toyota dealership says, but if I choose to try and trade it in, it would hurt my chances of getting a better price for the car. My mechanic put about 4 quarts of oil and some other stuff to seal any leaks/cracks between the pistons and that was 4 days ago. They recommended I check my oil every 3 days, and yesterday it was still good.

Did I mention I only had about one year left paying off the Scion? Grrrr....I was really looking forward to not having a car payment anymore. In the long run though...what would be the best option? Try and salvage this car? Or try and trade it in for another car?

All of your feedback has been greatly appreciated BTW. I emailed to a friend of mine who runs a Scion dealership and he hasn't even got back to me or acknowledged that there is TSB Engine problem. Not a good look in my book!

·
Registered
604 Posts
honestly, you could easily sell it and nobody would know it was burning oil. Hell, you could easily trade it in and the dealer would probably not even notice it was burning oil. This makes me afraid now :/

·
Registered
135 Posts
honestly, you could easily sell it and nobody would know it was burning oil. Hell, you could easily trade it in and the dealer would probably not even notice it was burning oil. This makes me afraid now :/
This. Don't waste 3500 on a car like that. Trade it in, and use that 3500 on top of the trade to buy a newer car. Hell, finance another TC with much lower miles if you like the car so much.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This. Don't waste 3500 on a car like that. Trade it in, and use that 3500 on top of the trade to buy a newer car. Hell, finance another TC with much lower miles if you like the car so much.
Well Edmunds says it's worth about $5700 as a trade in and $6700 as private party. That's also if the purchaser doesn't realize that it needs about $3500 in repairs. If the repairs were well over the trade in cost I would agree and say dump it. HOWEVER, you got to look at what your getting for $3500. You know the engine will either last or be repaired for the next year. Good money is that the repair will last longer than that. You got to take an honest look at your car and ask, how much longer will this car last. While you have 92500 miles on it it's still a 5 year old car. Paint should be still good along with trim. The biggest worry is the power train and your already repairing a major part of that. If you think the car will last another 5 years without major repairs then do it. If you think this is the start of more problems to come then you may have to bite the bullet.

My opinion is have your mechanic look it over and if he sees nothing else wrong do the repairs and get that tC paid off. Even if you have to repair the transmission later, not having that car note over your head will make it easier to save up for either that repair or a new car later.

Oh and I think $3500 might be right in line for the cost. Before I made a decision though I would get a detailed list of what exactly he was going to do and then price out the parts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well Edmunds says it's worth about $5700 as a trade in and $6700 as private party. That's also if the purchaser doesn't realize that it needs about $3500 in repairs. If the repairs were well over the trade in cost I would agree and say dump it. HOWEVER, you got to look at what your getting for $3500. You know the engine will either last or be repaired for the next year. Good money is that the repair will last longer than that. You got to take an honest look at your car and ask, how much longer will this car last. While you have 92500 miles on it it's still a 5 year old car. Paint should be still good along with trim. The biggest worry is the power train and your already repairing a major part of that. If you think the car will last another 5 years without major repairs then do it. If you think this is the start of more problems to come then you may have to bite the bullet.

My opinion is have your mechanic look it over and if he sees nothing else wrong do the repairs and get that tC paid off. Even if you have to repair the transmission later, not having that car note over your head will make it easier to save up for either that repair or a new car later.

Oh and I think $3500 might be right in line for the cost. Before I made a decision though I would get a detailed list of what exactly he was going to do and then price out the parts.
Exactly my point. In my opinion, spending over 60% of book value on a single repair on such an inexpensive vehicle is unwise. 3500 is a very nice down payment on a much newer car. Not to mention the 5700 in trade value. That's also assuming he owns his car free and clear.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm definitely not knocking that idea, it does have merit. Thing is the used car market is much stronger than what it has been in the past. The numbers I didn't post were the actual dealer retail for that car ($7700) and if it didn't have so many miles ($9000). Based on those numbers the best he can hope for with trade in and the repair cost is just to end up in the same car and potentially have the same problems.

It's a devil you know vs the devil you don't know situation. The car he has is a known quantity and baring any unstated deficiencies, he should be able to get another two to five years out of that car depending on how much wear and tear has already been done. So say he goes another three years on it before trading it in. The depreciation will only bee a couple thousand less than what he's got now, he'll be able to pay it off and start building towards a sizable down payment on his next ride so from that perspective the repair now will work to his advantage.

Understand there is a lot of variables in play here, many that are unstated. And I'm not saying that your point is wrong because it might be the right course for him, I just don't think it's as cut and dry as 'oh it's burning oil, time for a new car'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Scion TC who hasn't even hit 100K and I have been noticing that I was burning thru oil pretty quick, like every 3 weeks I would need to put in 2 quarts of oil. I took it a mechanic who diagnosed that my oil was more than likely burning thru my exhaust, since there was no leak no sight on my car. I then started googling my problem, and find that its a common thing on Scion models from 2007 to 2009! Its actually defect with the piston rings not holding up to the size of the engine!

My mechanic gave me an estimate of $3500 for a new engine, with labor...is this a fair price? I can't believe that I need a brand new engine BEFORE I hite 100K! However I do not know much about cars, and I want to permanently fix my car and not have this problem again down the line. Does anyone have any advice or had the same problem?:(:rant:👎:wallbash:
I got 242,000 miles on my 07..burns 2 quarts every week, but I drive between 200-400 miles/week. No lights on & runs fine. I’d say keep the engine & buy the oil. I use STP 5/20

1 - 16 of 16 Posts