Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if the odometer on the gauge cluster stores the mileage the car has itself (in addition to the ecu) or does it just display the number of miles the ecu has recorded? the only reason why i ask is because i had no choice but to drive it w/o the gauge cluster for a week (kenny was having issues with shipping and whatnot) and im not sure if the mileage displayed is correct or short...

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Mileage goes with the gauges. If you disconnect the gauges, the tripmeters zero. Mileage isn't stored in the ECM AFAIK.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
The FSM confirms the odometer function is entirely on the combination meter. The ECM is unaware of the mileage, so the only place mileage information is stored is in the odometer module in the combination meter. If the gauges are removed, the odometer does not record the mileage while it is out.

· Registered
4,894 Posts
Woohoo... odometer fraud? Lol.

· Registered
6,498 Posts
Sweet. So in other words, I could keep my mileage low by driving around without the gauges!

(No, I'm not going to do that.)

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
There will be signs of fraud. The ECM will set a code for no speed input (it gets it from the gauges), so there will be a code that anyone with a scanner can read.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Great question. Only Toyota knows that answer.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
So, is disconnecting the gauges at all considered a no-no? Or only if you drive the vehicle while they are disconnected? I'd eventually like to swap out LED's, but not if it's going to be breaking the law.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
If you intent is to fail to record mileage then no doubt it is illegal. If it is to only to mod your instrument panel, only Marty knows for sure.

· Registered
200 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 25 2006, 05:55 PM
Great question. Only Toyota knows that answer.
Although I would find it unlikely the ECM would store anything past a reset but I'd have to agree with lobux as I don't actually work for Toyota.

· Registered
6,498 Posts
As long as you tell whomever you sell it to that the gauge cluster was disconnected for a brief time, then there is no way it could be fraud.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.