Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told my dealer NOT to drill holes in the front bumper of my BSP tC when I pick it up on the 26th. I told them I wouldn't take delivery of the car if they do. Anyway, I've asked a few people about how the law works reguarding that issue.. I've heard that if you get pulled over without a front plate in NY, you just throw the plate in the front window before the cop gets up to your car, and you'll get away scott free. Is this indeed true? I don't want a ticket :/

Btw, the tC looks HORRIBLE with a front plate. I really don't want one... but I really don't want a ticket either.

·
Registered
339 Posts
they drilled holes in my tc

in my past experience i have been pulled over twice in md for not having a front plate and when i pointed the plate out in the windsheild to the officer i still got ticketed...he gave me some #### about it being attatched to the front of the car..

that was one time another time i got pulled over for the front plate thing i ended up getting arrested for possesion...sooo i would say put it on your lower grill if anywhere but deff have it on the front of the car

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey man, i live in upstate NY and it is ILLEGAL if the license plate is not on the front bumper. If it is in the front window they will still give you a ticket. The plates need to be visible and outside of the car for the officers safety. It is crap but its the law. I've seen people get pulled over and ticketed for this. My friend has a lowrider chevy truck with custom everything. From paint to bodykit and and all. His license plate was located in his front window b/c he didnt want the drill the body kit. The cop then pulled him over and gave him some wierd story and gave him a ticket still. They don't care in NY. It needs to be placed on the front bumper with no clear protector over it b/c thats illegal to. You could always live on the edge and do it anyways. Only dealers are allowed to put the plates in the windows for test drives. Pz out

·
Registered
272 Posts
UpInSMoke is right on the money....what u could do which might be a lil better is somehow samdwich it in between the bumper and the grill...maybe off to one side?? just a suggestion...or just risk it...but ive gotten this ticket twice

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im sure that in NY state that you will get a ticket so hopefully you get what u pay for an drill your front bumper cover....so that you in the fuiture dont get a ticket ...like i did...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im sure that in NY state that you will get a ticket so hopefully you get what u pay for an drill your front bumper cover....so that you in the fuiture dont get a ticket ...like i did...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Live in NY!, and got a ticket for no front plate last month!!! ####ty laws but whatcha gunna do.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Orange County, NY here. My hubby got a ticket for not having his front plate mounted on his Nissan Murano. He told the cop we just picked it up from the dealer and it had not been prepped yet and that we were going back the next day to get it prepped (the dealer let us take it same day we bought it). The cop could care less. I bet if I were driving and did the talking I may have avoided the ticket. I got out of a speeding ticket up here using my charm.
Hee hee. Female power!!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If you don't want to mount it on your bumper, putting it on the grill like greg was saying might be an option.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by UpInSmoke23@Jul 18 2005, 08:51 AM
Hey man, i live in upstate NY and it is ILLEGAL if the license plate is not on the front bumper.  If it is in the front window they will still give you a ticket.  The plates need to be visible and outside of the car for the officers safety.  It is crap but its the law.  I've seen people get pulled over and ticketed for this.  My friend has a lowrider chevy truck with custom everything.  From paint to bodykit and and all.  His license plate was located in his front window b/c he didnt want the drill the body kit.  The cop then pulled him over and gave him some wierd story and gave him a ticket still.  They don't care in NY.  It needs to be placed on the front bumper with no clear protector over it b/c thats illegal to.  You could always live on the edge and do it anyways.  Only dealers are allowed to put the plates in the windows for test drives.  Pz out
I've had the clear Weathertech covers for weeks now without issue, but I live in Scarsdale and our apartment group has its own parking lot, plus I park in an indoor garage in Manhattan every day, so meter cops aren't much of an issue (they sometimes issue tickets for illegal plate stuff, from what I've heard). No cop has bothered to stop me for the plate covers yet, either.

Could it be related to the plate itself, though? Maybe they can see why I would want to protect my plates:

Click to enlarge...

-Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the other side of the country here in Oregon, I have been driving for about 2 mos without the front plate and passed probably 20 different cops in this area. It is illegal here to not have a front plate, but most police do not seem to care to much about it. However, if you are pulled over for something else ie. speeding, they will probably just try to find everything they can to ticket you on. I agree, the front plate looks stupid, but to be safe and avoid a ticket I will probably end up putting it there. Sigh...

·
Registered
4 Posts
thank god I live in delaware, where we aren't required to get inspection except every 6 years now! and we don't have those goofy inspection stickers in the windshield like PA (I think it looks disgusting) and we only need one rear bumper license plate. My little states not looking so bad now is it boy (and girls) lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.