Scion tC Forums banner

Which satellite radio system is better?

• XM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SIRIUS

• I think I'll stick to conventional radio.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article in the local paper & wanted everyone else's opinion on

Which is better....
Which do you have....
Are you happy....
If you don't have s/r, which would you get?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I voted XM just because I can mate it with stock HU and make it nice and clean, plus Sirius is 2x as expensive - I think they charge 12.99 monthly, and I get XM for 6.99 since I'm piggybacking on my buddy's account.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'll stick with conventional. I don't see a point in paying 400 for a reciever and another 10-15 dollars a month for something that I can get for free. Commercials don't bother me that much, and I can just swich to a cd. It's still just radio, and I prefer cd's and mp3's anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know anyone that I can piggyback with XM. Sirius has pretty good programming. I don't care for the stock HU especially if I'm gonna get sat. radio. As far as I know... XM & Sirius receivers are only $100 for the plug & play.... so the expence is not too bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by Azrael@Dec 25 2004, 02:08 PM
I'll stick with conventional.  I don't see a point in paying 400 for a reciever and another 10-15 dollars a month for something that I can get for free.  Commercials don't bother me that much, and I can just swich to a cd.
I have heard the above argument many, many times, but I don't EVER hear a similar argument coming from someone who's had satellite radio. Generally people who get SR not only like it, but suddenly can't stomach regular radio anymore. Include me in this camp.

I got XM in early December 2001, when the service was about 2 weeks old. I have never looked back. The difference between satellite radio and broadcast is MUCH more pronounced than that between, say, broadcast TV and cable. The variety, ability to hear your favorite stations anywhere in the country, lack of censorship, and lack of commercials is just striking. I have 3 XM subscriptions and it's worth every penny (which is well under $10/month, as you get substantial discounts with multiple subs and/or purchasing 1+ years of service in advance).

Although I prefer XM to Sirius, the difference between the two used to be greater. XM used to have the best station anywhere (check the "Special X" threads at xm411.com), but XM still has an edge in some areas, expecially the comedy channels. I'll admit, a huge factor is that I have a morning commute and absolutely abhor the "Morning Zoo" format, and XM allows me to actually listen to MUSIC in the morning, instead of the shtick of unfunny DJ's who love to hear themselves laugh, followed by 10 minute commercial blocks.

My advice is, next time you have to rent a car, try and find one with SR (Avis has these for sure, and there are others) and give it a try for your trip.

-Steven-

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that's what i wanted to hear... Thank you!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by swale@Dec 26 2004, 10:27 AM
I'll admit, a huge factor is that I have a morning commute and absolutely abhor the "Morning Zoo" format, and XM allows me to actually listen to MUSIC in the morning, instead of the shtick of unfunny DJ's who love to hear themselves laugh, followed by 10 minute commercial blocks.

You and me both. I hate those "morning shows." I just want to hear music; if I wanted to listen to people talk, I'd switch to AM.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have Sirius as I do a lot of traveling in the car. I detest country music and preachers. Since I live in the SE, there are way too many stations with those two on. Satellite gives you the chance to listen to what you want, when you want, and where ever you want.

IMO, if you don't spend much time in the car, don't get it.

But even talk radio is great if the host is on satellite. I can pick up Sean H. whenever I am on the road I don't have to search for the station or worry about the reception.

My $0.02!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You're missing an option in the vote:

Wouldn't know if the radio works or not.

I never listen to the radio, I have lots of MP3s. I hate commercial radio, and I generally dislike most advertising because it is aimed at the lowest common denominator. I get my news from the paper or the Net where I can control the amount of garbage I wade through to find out what I want to know.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I gotta have my Howard Stern in the mornings, he's moving to Sirius, and so am I when the time comes. I believe in both of the services however, I truly believe they the future of radio broadcasting. Commercial radio is going down the tubes b/c media giants like clearchanel among other have been buying up stations and basically controlling the media. Government control also turns me off and the FCC has been a little cooky over the past year. The whole Janet Jackson thing, I mean come on. Who REALLY cares about an ugly tit slip?

The FCC recently made a public statement that Satellite radio is off limits for governmantal control on "decency", b/c it's a paid service and no "children will be harmed" bs. So yeah, I'm gonna get satellite as soon as I can.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have neither seeing as how I'm still waiting for my TC to arrive (NEXT WEEK as I am told!!! <fingers crossed>).

I took a quick look at both providers and they seem to provide comparable channels/stations, unless you're looking for something specific like whosthatrussian. Their prices are also very similar from what I saw. Thus I can't really pick one at the moment.

The only thing I would say is test both out over the web. Both suppliers offer 3 day trial memberships so that should let you feel each out (as of right now, I'm actually listening to XM over the web). Also, if one provider supplies more channels of one particular type of music or a specific host you like, well, there you go. And one thing that I thought was cool, Sirius lets its members listen over the web for free as opposed to XM, which requires an additional fee.

Peace.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have owned both and I have to say that Sirius has some definite advantages. Sound quality is definitely better on music channels and they have much better content. Just my 2-cents.

·
Registered
542 Posts
ive got sirius in my car. i bought a plug and play tuner and run it through an fm modulator. i love sirius. it gives me new music and i dont have cds all over the place in my car! the only thing i dont like is the fm modulator gives some static every once in a while, but nothing i cant live with.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think it depends on what you like, I got the XM with my car didn't like it. I like hiphop and they didn't offer to many channels with the variety i like. Sirius does seem to be better and offer more. I rather stick with local radio and mp3

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had both, and I got my Sirius free (thanks Longo) and I have to say I like Sirius better, the hip hop stations seem to have better stations, over all sound CD sounds better, so it's a matter of where you live, rural areas SAT radio gives more option than local country stations, and in city stick with CD's or Radio, but SAT radio is nice to have not a neccessity... my 2 cents....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.