Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok to all who have not bought there car yet, check with the dealer and see if they will exchange the stock tires. From what I hear, the stock tires, the yokohamas and the bridgestone potenza's (re92) both suck. (they are ranked as two of the worst tires on tire rack) before you buy check with the dealer and see if they will exchange them. my dealer had a set of pirelli pzero nero [email protected] tires just laying about and agreed to replace them. He was great about it, i had bought the car and he still agreed to replace them. (some won't do it unless they want to make a sale.) also if you are at this site, many times you will know more then the dealer. my dealer didnt know the potenzas came stock on some tc's and was actually going to replace the yokohama's with potenzas! if you need to buy your own (after getting money back for the stock tires) check on tirerack.com (or i suppose 1010tires.com) i would reccomend the avon techs (on tire rack) or the pirellis that the dealer might have around. this is generally a simple replacement and most dealers are willing to do it. every review i read said that the standard tires are bad, and that they detract from the car. also heads up about all the tires avon tech through yoko. they dont last a long time. tread life is bad on all of them. anyways have fun with your new car once it comes, and remember, new tires (over stock) are the single best thing you can do for performance on this car.

By the way, we need an undo button, i accidently moved some of the sentances around by mistake, and i spent a good 10 minutes fixing everything, if we had an undo button, that would have taken 2 seconds (i suppose i could do this in word and copy/paste it over here, but who does that)

oh yeah just so you know, yokos come stock on some tc's and potenzas on some tc's. i bet that the companies wanted to dump them some place because they werent selling so they sold them to scion on the cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Originally posted by Shark_bite@Aug 2 2005, 11:24 AM
Ok to all who have not bought there car yet, check with the dealer and see if they will exchange the stock tires. From what I hear, the stock tires, the yokohamas and the bridgestone potenza's (re92) both suck. (they are ranked as two of the worst tires on tire rack) before you buy check with the dealer and see if they will exchange them. my dealer had a set of pirelli pzero nero [email protected] tires just laying about and agreed to replace them. He was great about it, i had bought the car and he still agreed to replace them. (some won't do it unless they want to make a sale.) also if you are at this site, many times you will know more then the dealer. my dealer didnt know the potenzas came stock on some tc's and was actually going to replace the yokohama's with potenzas! if you need to buy your own (after getting money back for the stock tires) check on tirerack.com (or i suppose 1010tires.com) i would reccomend the avon techs (on tire rack) or the pirellis that the dealer might have around. this is generally a simple replacement and most dealers are willing to do it. every review i read said that the standard tires are bad, and that they detract from the car. also heads up about all the tires avon tech through yoko. they dont last a long time. tread life is bad on all of them. anyways have fun with your new car once it comes, and remember, new tires (over stock) are the single best thing you can do for performance on this car.

By the way, we need an undo button, i accidently moved some of the sentances around by mistake, and i spent a good 10 minutes fixing everything, if we had an undo button, that would have taken 2 seconds (i suppose i could do this in word and copy/paste it over here, but who does that)

oh yeah just so you know, yokos come stock on some tc's and potenzas on some tc's. i bet that the companies wanted to dump them some place because they werent selling so they sold them to scion on the cheap.
CTRL + Z : UNDO
 

·
Former '05er
Joined
·
12,467 Posts
CTRL-Z is your best friend in just about any OS including Cisco IOS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
QUOTE
By the way, we need an undo button, i accidently moved some of the sentances around by mistake, and i spent a good 10 minutes fixing everything, if we had an undo button, that would have taken 2 seconds (i suppose i could do this in word and copy/paste it over here, but who does that)[/b]
not to mention a spell and grammar check button.

<.02>
I am going to get some use out of my stock tires before I spend the money to replace them. I do agree they arent as good as many other (*cheaper priced) tires, but I dont feel I need to replace them asap.
</.02>
 

·
Former '05er
Joined
·
12,467 Posts
Don't be surprised if you change your mind after your first near-event in rain. I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol guys thanks. just so you know, since i had the potenzas and i replaced them, i actually got money *back.* Change them right away, if you drive on them a little bit, your stuck with them until you replace them yourself
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Aug 2 2005, 05:32 PM
Don't be surprised if you change your mind after your first near-event in rain. I did.
Almost 16,000 miles and a year's worth of driving, including a summer full of rain, and I'm still not convinced that there tires are any worse than any other set of mediocre of tires. In fact, I'm quite convinced otherwise. They suck in the wet, but that's life. I'm not throwing away perfectly good tires because some people push the limits of tires that they already know are bad and meet with unfortunate results.
 

·
Former '05er
Joined
·
12,467 Posts
Wait until you have to make an emergency stop in the rain. Just because I found the limits on a turn doesn't mean they perform well in a straight line. They don't. If it is wet and you need to stop, you will invoke ABS early and stop very slowly compared to just about any other tire I've driven. Bridgestone S-02s, a summer tire, were better in snow and ice than the RE92 Potenzas are in the rain. It's not because I prefer high performance, it's because I know stopping depends on traction and the RE92s don't have it in the wet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok guys, i dont recommend throwing away tires if you already have them, i just recommend checking if you can replace your stock tires for better ones for free.

also i just realized that i should have said "bought *their* cars" in the title, not "bought *there* cars" oh well, life goes on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Aug 2 2005, 07:03 PM
Wait until you have to make an emergency stop in the rain. Just because I found the limits on a turn doesn't mean they perform well in a straight line. They don't. If it is wet and you need to stop, you will invoke ABS early and stop very slowly compared to just about any other tire I've driven. Bridgestone S-02s, a summer tire, were better in snow and ice than the RE92 Potenzas are in the rain. It's not because I prefer high performance, it's because I know stopping depends on traction and the RE92s don't have it in the wet.
I have made several short, emergency stops on wet pavement. It has been about 50 trillion times better than it was in either of my Corollas, even when I had expensive Michelins. The only problem I have had with the Potenzas is hydroplaning -- again, these are still better than anything I had on my previous cars. The bottom line is that these tires are perfectly safe for a person who pays attention and has decent reflexes. Driving cautiously when it's wet helps, too, regardless of what tires you have. It rains plenty here, and I drive in wet, rush-hour traffic all the time. I find it extremely hard to believe that there are limitations of these tires of which I am not yet aware.
 

·
Former '05er
Joined
·
12,467 Posts
How about I take you for a drive in your car when I get to Atlanta? Then we'll drive mine...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Aug 2 2005, 12:20 PM
CTRL-Z is your best friend in just about any OS including Cisco IOS.
No Notepad is your friend with Cisco. Just copy and paste it and let it run really quick. That and saving every working txt file so that you don't have to re type all that stuff. Specially filters. God I hate filters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Aug 3 2005, 01:30 AM
How about I take you for a drive in your car when I get to Atlanta? Then we'll drive mine...
Why? So you can prove your car performs better? Have I ever questioned that? Sheesh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
Here's a cool way to upgrade your stock Potenzas without paying much (or anything at all):

1. Buy new good tires of your choice. I got Falken Ziex Ze512 in stock size that cost me $300 shipped.
2. Take your stock Potenzas off the car as soon as you get the new tires and put them in boxes that you got your new tires in.
3. eBay the Potenzas.
4. Collect $400, use $300 to pay off the credit card that you used to buy other tires, $50 for mounting/balancing and another $50 to ship the Potenzas to their new home.

I did this last week.
 

·
Former '05er
Joined
·
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4+Aug 4 2005, 07:29 AM-->QUOTE (basilisk4 @ Aug 4 2005, 07:29 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-lo bux racer
@Aug 3 2005, 01:30 AM
How about I take you for a drive in your car when I get to Atlanta?  Then we'll drive mine...
Why? So you can prove your car performs better? Have I ever questioned that? Sheesh. [/b]
Umm. No, so you can see how low the limits of the RE92s are compared to a decent performing tire. There's a reason the RE92s are near dead last on the Tire Rack survey. They don't make up the numbers, they are reported by actual users. IMHO, those tires are unsafe in the wet. I will be taking them off the wife's car in October just for this reason. Even she complained about the tires in the rain, and she drives very conservatively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,586 Posts
Sorry, Lance, but I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. As long as some caution is exercised when driving on wet pavement, the Potenzas are adequate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
guys, its not a big deal, the stock tires are fine, plenty of peeps have them, i would simply reccomend checking if you have the option to replace them. if not fine, if you do then great. also both the yokos and potenzas are similer in quality.
 

·
Former '05er
Joined
·
12,467 Posts
I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing this, but I am particulary irritated that Bridgestone also makes the Potenza G009, sells it at $120 each instead of $169 each, and it's in third place among the All Season performance tires. It rates better in all performance categories including tread life and wet weather performance. Some of the reviews are a bit unflattering from MkI MR2 owners, but IMHO, if you are putting all season tires on an MR2, you get what you asked for.

In any case, I'm disappointed that Toyco chose this tire at a higher price than a comparable Bridgestone. Go to the Tire Rack's site and look at all the tC reviews of the RE92. More of them say the tires are crap by a long shot.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top