Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
title says it all. i'm thinking of getting one but i want to know which performance options are worth getting. let's go down the line. here's what i was thinking of getting:
  • sport muffler - $525
  • TRD struts/shocks kit - $525
  • TRD lowering springs - $199
  • performance clutch - $650
  • TRD quick shifter - $281
i want to know from people with first-hand experience. do you regret getting any of these options? also, what are my other alternatives (other after-market brands) for these parts?

i'm almost pretty sure that the muffler is not a "performance" part. the struts and springs i think are good. i am selling my 01 civic, which had neuspeed lowering springs and tokico blues, but i still didn't like the ride comfort. i've never driven a manual before so i wouldn't know about clutch and shifters. any help would be aprreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by batman@Dec 7 2005, 09:24 PM
i'm almost pretty sure that the muffler is not a "performance" part.
false...

it is a performance part in the sense that it frees up backpressure in the exhaust system and gives a great sound too... granted its not as beneficial, being an axle-back, compared to a cat-back... but still has some performance...

TRD Exhaust Dyno

the quick shifter is nice, but talk to zoltiz.. he can send you out the whole shifter assembly that the TRD one replaces with a TWM stage 2 shifter for around the same price, then you just have to disconnect the stock one and put the new one in its place (way, way easier than installing the shifter using the stock plastic assembly, would have paid zoltiz to send me the whole thing if i hadnt have already installed it before i saw his post about it)

clutch would be nice, but if your going to have that done, shell out some extra $$$ for the fidanza flywheel too since the stock one will be exposed and its just as easy to install a new flywheel along with a new clutch, however for that price, i would look at other companies like clutchmasters (could probably get a stronger clutch for around the same price)

the springs, struts & shocks are cool and all, but i would rather spend the extra $$$ on a full coilover set, since i can adjust the height and dampening force...

just my $.02

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by vtecKiller@Dec 7 2005, 09:25 PM
search here and if u no how to do the installation, then get it from www.trdspark.com, if not, iono
Yea, go with Ken he has some of the best prices this side of the internet...

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
the problem with the TRD clutch is that is doesnt replace the disc. and that is the part most likely to fail, especially under supercharged or turbocharged applications. i would recommend the ACT clutch, the price is right, and it is a three piece replacement - pressure plate, disc, and t/o bearing. add a fidanza flywheel (so glad i did) and you have good parts that will last a good long time. if you are running n/a, the clutch is an item i would be less likely to invest in until i had destroyed the OEM clutch.
the springs/shocks/struts replacement is a great package. nicely tuned for good performance, but not so stiff it rattles out your fillings. go with it unless you are inclined to change your ride height regularly for street to track and back.
shortshifters are a preference thing, you may like one more than the other but you wont know until you try them out. i prefer my stage two TWM to the TRD because of the drop in shift lever height. i have heard the opposite from other people, who prefer stock height and just a shorter throw.
the exhaust is borderline useless except for sound, same as any intake out there.
my .02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone. i think i'm going to get the springs/shocks/struts package since i don't plan on racing in the tracks. i just want a drop to minimize the wheel gap and most important of all, I WANT IT TO RIDE LIKE STOCK. can somebody confirm this? this is the only reason i would get it from TRD - b/c i figured it would ride like stock. and does anyone know the drop on the TRD springs? thanks!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
From what I recall, the drop on TRD springs is about 1.5", and the ride is definitely pretty close to stock. If you drive on a lot of bumpy city roads, you will notice that the car will bounce a little more sharply, but on highways the tC is still as smooth as silk with the TRD springs.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ what he said. i doubt you will be upset at the ride from the trd set-up, and when you put it through a corner, you will be glad you did it.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Right -- The TRD springs make a HUGE difference in how the car corners.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by josurr+Dec 9 2005, 12:43 PM-->QUOTE (josurr @ Dec 9 2005, 12:43 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-basilisk4
@Dec 8 2005, 11:26 AM
Right -- The TRD springs make a HUGE difference in how the car corners.
so do sway bars [/b]
Not so much, from what I've heard.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
the rear sway was a noticeable improvement, imo. the addition of a front lower sway makes it that much better.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Indeed. Good to know. I was just thinking of about a year ago when a bunch of people who already had the TRD springs got the sway(s) and basically said they did nothing.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i would say that the upper front strut bar is easily the least noticeable.
if i remember right, i did my sway before my springs, so i guess i dont have a point of reference for that. but, i know when i did my springs the first time it really helped, and them alone would outweigh the rear sway alone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.