Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm starting another thread about The Meet so we can get a better idea of who's interested.

As it stands now....

Date: Saturday, October 9th

Time: 11:00 am - 1:00 or so... (That's up to you!)

Where: Skyline Drive, a 105-mile scenic drive that "connects at the south end with the 469 mile Blue Ridge Parkway, another All-American scenic standout."

More specifically, we're actually going to MEET at the Quarles Petroleum gas station, just north on 340/521 from I-66. The station is on the right and has a huge parking lot, as it is a truck stop. It also has a Bullets restaurant inside with seating for anyone who gets there early and needs a bite to eat. From there it is a straight shot up 521 to the Double Toll Gate entrance to the Skyline Drive. (Thanks to Vince from the Scionworld Yahoo! group for that info!!!!)

*NOTE: "Skyline Drive has a speed limit of 35 mph. Its suggested that you observe it. Despite its apparent isolation, there are Park Police who cruise the drive. Yes, they also have un-marked cars."

How much: Admission to Skyline Drive is $10/car (good for 7 days), or $20.00 for a yearly pass. And, obviously...cost of food and gas.

Who: Anyone who's interested, whether or not you have a tC!

What: Just a chance to hang out with fellow Scion lovers, get to see some others in-person, and enjoy a nice drive/picnic on Virginia's Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway!

Vince has mentioned that a really nice stretch of the Skyline Drive is from the North entrance down to the US 33 interchange East of Harrisonburg, VA. Vince says it will take about 1.5 hours to drive at a comfortable speed, is a nice run, and is generally easy to drive. If people want to peel out early (for lunch or a pit stop), they can exit at US 211 near Luray and even check out the Luray Caverns there, if interested.

(If you DO exit at Luray, you can take US 211 west through Luray, into New Market, and then catch back up with I-81. If you DON'T exit at Luray, and you end the run at the US 33 interchange...just take US 33 west towards Harrisonburg, down the mountain, and it's about 15-20 min. to I-81). (Again, thanks to Vince for the info!!!!)

Where's the beef?!?: OK, so I know we're meeting right around lunch time and people might be wondering what's the plan for grubbing. I know that a few people who had shown interest in coming are from Jersey, and they'll be driving a bit (like myself) to get there. I made the meeting time 11 AM because it seemed pretty reasonable. People can grab breakfast on the way, if need be, and then you can grab lunch during or after the run...

I'm probably gonna' pack some food, in case there's a nice picnic spot on the Drive, but if people want to eat together somewhere, per the website, there are some stops on the Drive itself for gas and food. We'll make plans for that based on how many people show interest....

For more info on the Parkway, check out these links...they'll tell you a bit about the area we'll most likely be driving:

http://www.blueridgeskyline.com/information.php
http://members.aol.com/adnascar/driving.html
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_nati.../va/drv_she.htm
http://www.nps.gov/shen/home.htm
http://www.geocities.com/mrfishy3/skyline.htm

*Edit: Just thought of this too... it might be a LITTLE too early for the fall foliage to be changing over, but hopefully it will be the right time of the year for it. WOOT!!

ALSO, in case anyone has trouble finding the Quarles station, or the Skyline Drive...feel free to call me at 540-761-6625. I'd hate for someone to make the effort to get there, and then not be able to join us....

·
Registered
181 Posts
i'll definitely be there (unless something tragic happens to me while i drive through
west virginia
)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump....

Just to let you all know, I'd like to have a final count and final plans figured out by September 25th (or somewhere near there).

I was planning on taking some vacation days around the Meet, but if only 2 or 3 people are interested then I may just suggest waiting on it or finding something else to do/ somewhere else to meet....

·
Registered
181 Posts
is this still goin on??? i just got back last week from a longggg trip..

i may just try and hit that HIN event up in Cleveland (unfortunately it's on the 9th
as well)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yep, it's definitely going on.

I'm gonna' post a little more info about specifics for where we'll be meeting. It's really close to the entrance of the drive, and there should be plenty of room for us.

Speaking of room though, I'm really not sure how many people are still wanting to come....

Hope more than just me though....that would suck to wake up really early, drive up there, and then not see anyone else.

Hehe.

**EDIT: OK, I posted the updates into the original post so things wouldn' get confusing. If you still have questions about anything, just let me know! I'll be checking my e-mail tonight and first thing tomorrow morning, in case people have anything to ask.

SEE YA TOMORROW!!!!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, and if you're planning on coming and having yet said so...or if you said you were coming and can't now...

Please let me know.
Thanks much!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Looks like wonderful scenery. Haha...come drive around here sometime...mmmm...the nice, flat, unchanging, boring, somatic scenery would lull you into a coma. Well it's not quite that bad...but you could tie a rope to the wheel driving down I70 and wake up a few hours later in the same lane....

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yikes!

Yeah, I'm really, really lucky to live close to all of this. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've gone up on the Parkway for lunch, or to relax a bit after work.

It's nice to be driving down a road and only see trees, rather than construction and work zones and all of that. It's especially nice when you hit a curve going 60 and stick right in it.....I mean, who really pays attention to the "30" mph warning signs?!? Hehe.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
<----------- Jealous. Only time I get curves...is taking a right turn at 45. I'd probably have to drive something like....2 hours just to get to anywhere that *has* curves. Ozarks in Missouri.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hehe...maybe I can try to give you an experience...

I think my boyfriend MIGHT have videotaped part of the run on the Skyline Drive (with the camera out of the sunroof). If so, I'll try to get a link up to that sometime soon.

If not, I'll just take it along during one of my drives.
Tee hee.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Man, we have nothing BUT curves down here (north Georgia)...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts