Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, before i get beat up, im sorry if this is anywhere else, i couldnt find it... ok so, im going to put in my order for the 06 tc tommorow, and i want to get the stick tranny....i've heard around that a brand new car isnt a good car to learn on. and then i also heard that the tC is a great car to learn on because it shifts smoothly, etc. but i dont wanna put out upwards of 16 g's and then eff up my car ya know. so my question is...if i get the manual and learn on it, can i do something seriously harmful with lasting, costly effects? some ppl i talked to said yes, some said no. i wanna hear u guys' ideas...just to let u know, im not a dumbass or anything. like i wont put it in reverse whenim doing 80 or anything like that...just learning how to drive up the hills and all that...thanks guys

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
probably the worse thing you could do is mis-shift.... that is basically going into a wrong gear.... (say your going from 3rd to 4th, but instead of 4th you go into 2nd--if you're going over 50 mph, you'll make the engine go past redline) Its not something you'd do if you were learning because noobs are afraid to gun their car. so basically, dont worry about what i just said, unless you plan on racing.

if you're a really slow learner, the worse you'll probably do is burn out your clutch. if you do a lot of sputtering and peeling out, you might hurt your tranny, but you'd really have to abuse it to do serious damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooh ok thanks...no i usually pick things up, nd yes im gonna be scared to do anthing crazy till i feel completely comfortable..i just dont wanna like..burn out my clutch on my first day or somethin. my friend says ill have the jist of it by the end of the day, if i drive around in a parking lot or someting...cuz thats my other worry, i dont wanna not be able to drive my own car, cuz i've got obligations. like work, ya knwo..well anyways, thanks man

·
Registered
658 Posts
There is no way you could burn toyota's clutch unless u really want to. My freind learned on 92 Corrola and the clutch is still okay after 180K miles. I learned on 91 Opel Vectra 1.7D with 220K km and the clutch feels like new. Just take it easy ask people that know to drive stick for some tips and i guess you will do fine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
First of all, good luck learning to drive stick, it is truly an art form that can take a lifetime to master. Getting to your prior comment, contrary to what you may have heard from other owners, I find that the TC's shifts are not the smoothest I've seen. Especially when shifting from neutral at speed. Upshifting can be touchy, but you should be able to figure it out after a while. But in my overall opinion I would say that the TC is not a great car for a manual tranny beginner. As I said the shifts aren't the smoothest, and the motor is very "torquey", resulting in a sometimes wicked torque steer that could throw a beginner for a loop. But it can be a hellova lotta fun to drive. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.