Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this wasn't noted before in another post, I searched for a good 2 hrs before posting this:

A new question from a relatively newbie to the world of performance upgrades. I seem to have no fear in just throwing parts on my car without really researching them first.

But in this case I'm a little wary, I've heard stories about the possibility of problems to come from doing an upgrade like this.

I wanted to see what everyones take on these Nology Ignition wires. They look like quite the upgrade to me... but I'll be the first to admit... I'm a sucker.

Let me know what the thoughts are:

http://creativecompacts.com/Merchant2/merc...ormanceIgnition

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
That's got to be wrong. We don't have HV wires in the tC. Toyco uses a technology called Coil Over Plug (COP) to eliminate HV wires. They've been doing this for some years now, as have a number of other car manufacturers. I have no idea what Nology is selling in this space.

BTW, I am highly skeptical of ANY ignition mod, regardless of anyone's dyno claims because I have spent a LOT of time working with ignition systems and engine tuning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have never seen a TC motor
I am sure Toyota switch over to the coil packs in 2000.
My buddies dads 99 tacoma had plug wires..but my 2000 was switch over to coil packs ever since then i dont think toyota has used plug wires in any of their cars or trucks.
So unless these wires are like replacment coilpacks then I dont think they are correct

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Nology's setup has you relocate the coil packs, and return to using traditional wires from the "relocated" bank of coil packs. They even give you hardware to mount and move the coil packs.

As my racecar builder/driver brother said upon seeing it, "Why?"

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Wow. Let's introduce more opportunities for failure by restoring the technology we eliminated because it is inherently unreliable. I still have a scar on my hand from finding a bad ignition wire 25 years ago...

I can see moving the coils off the top of the head if you are having problems with coil failure from heat. This is a common problem on turbo Supras when they've been modified, but in stock form, there is absolutely nothing to be gained, and I wouldn't pay 10 cents, much less $172, to move the coils off the engine unless I was having a problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NOTED... will be staying away from that one... Thanks for the info... these forums have saved me more than once from F'ing up my car!

Thanks again all!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
There are some pretty basic rules to engine mods: if it doesn't make the engine move more air and need more fuel, it is very unlikely to produce any additional power.

Anything to reduce weight is good as long as it doesn't compromise strength.

Ignition mods are some of the last things to mess with, and most OEM ignitions will work even with lots of mods as long as the tuning is correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.