Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if you can keep the engine cover for the nology hot wires kit. the wires are very big compared to the stock ones.. i like the VVT-i engine cover. juss wonder if u can keep it...

·
Registered
421 Posts
hmm. i plan on getting sum NOLOGY wires too. probably you can still have the cover on. mayb just dont tighten the bolt all the way down so it wont pinch the wires?? thats just me.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Nology Hotwires are NOT a good idea. There are some problems with cars witth coil on plug designs but those were from the early 90's. They had a problem service life. In anycase, the electrical system on the Scion is pretty good stock. There won't be any noticeable gain from this part. These resort to a coil-off-plug design that is a downgrade from the coil-on-plug that tCs use.

EDIT: crossfire switched to service life

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No they never had crossfire problems, they have service life problems. We've covered this before too.

There is ZERO to be gained from the Nology wires in a stock car, and even on a boosted car there is nothing to be gained.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had them on my Tacoma for awhile because my buddy at a wrecking yard sold them to me for $10, it was not coil on plug though. They were practically new when installed and around 30K miles later I went back to stock when doing a tune up and could not get the truck to run well. I shut off the lights and saw a pretty little light show in a few places so knew there was something not quite right about them. I put in new stock cables and they have worked flawlessly for nearly 100k miles since installed;)

That was my one and only set of Nology spark plug cables, been there, done that, learned a lesson.

Rick

·
Registered
272 Posts
people do it because there is "a built in capacitor, that stores energy for extra spark power"

i agree with what was already said, you arent going to improve on a coil-on-plug ignition with aftermarket wires...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had some nology wires in the past myself and I didnt really notice much of a difference over OEM stuff. The gains are probably minimal in most cars, especially considering the cost. But they certainly do look cool

·
Registered
508 Posts
on our cars no they wont do anything. but on other cars they can. i have them on my truck. but if you want them to do what they are made for you have to upgrade more then just the wires. i installed them on my truck along with upgraded coil packs and a ground wire kit. it did help the truck idle smoother and accelerate smoother also.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Wanna bet? I bet a lot of money all you did was restore stock performance. Grounding kits are USELESS compared to the OEM system. If your grounds are bad because of corrosion, then a grounding kit will restore OEM function, but will not provide any performance increase.

Stronger coils do NOT make more power. They use more electrical power, and if the OEM piece was working, it is extremely unlikely replacing the coil did anything. Besides, idling is the smallest load on your ignition system, and idle only takes about 6kV which even a marginal coil will produce.

Bad wires are bad wires, and all HV wires eventually go bad. Again, there will be NO performance increase from taking a properly functioning set of wires off and putting on aftermarket wires. If your OEM wires are old and leaking HV (as the ALL do after time) then replacing them with ANYTHING will be an improvement.

I've spent WAY too much time developing ignition systems to believe any of this BS about wires, grounding kits, and hot coils. The guys selling this stuff are just out to make a buck.

If you've modified your engine (higher static or dynamic compression ratio) then MAYBE there is some value to this. For a bone stock engine, NO WAY!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't know Lance. I put some plug wires on my Maverick that were coated in Guatemalan snake oil extract and now it runs elevens in the quarter...

hehe

·
Registered
508 Posts
ok. my truck is a show truck. so none of the wires or anything ever became corroded with anything bc it would look like a$$ when i open the hood at a show. so that argument is out. also i never let a set of plug wires or spark plugs or anything else like that on my truck for a very long time. eve had 4 sets of spark plugs and 4 sets of wires on my truck in the course of 5 years time. so none of those things were bad either. and when i switched all of the things i mentioned above along with adding the grounding kit that i made and hooked up my way i could tell a difference in the way my motor ran. especially when i bought the truck brand new and drove it daily for 5 years. i took very good care of it and i still do. so i dont think that i could be imagening that it was running smoother bc i know the way that truck runs and feels. and when it comes to ground kits why dont you go talk to some people on subaru forums. some of those guys swear by ground kits. the same goes for evo's. and i do know a bit about both of those bc i have friends with both. and none of them are stock by far.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I've built ignition systems. I've measured their performance. If ground wires made any difference at all, they'd need to replace the positive wires as well. Subjective measurements mean nothing to me. If you can say I got 3% better gas mileage then I'll believe you achieved something. Say it feels better doesn't amount to a hill of beans. If it truly runs better, it should be more efficient (fewer misfires).

FWIW, I have 140k miles on my Supra. It's on its third set of plugs. Toyco says they last 60k on a stock engine, and mine seem to work just fine even at twice stock boost. I dyno'd 330 rwhp on a set of plugs with 47k miles on them at 18 psi with everything else stock, including the wiring harness. Sorry, I don't believe all this electronic stuff when I've been working on electronic systems for 26 years, and ignitions specifically for the last 22.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 17 2005, 02:31 PM
Wanna bet? I bet a lot of money all you did was restore stock performance. Grounding kits are USELESS compared to the OEM system. If your grounds are bad because of corrosion, then a grounding kit will restore OEM function, but will not provide any performance increase.
Hrm...

We've proved beyond a doubt that the stock grounding on an SRT-4 is complete #### so I'm going to have to disagree that grounding kits are useless. However I will agree with you that any gains are negligable to the point of being insignificant.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
That may be so on the SRT-4..

But on the tC, the OE ground is fractionally worse, percentage wise, to an aftermarket ground.

Theoretically though, grounding kits will always have a positive impact. So long as they're designed properly, better voltage will get to the TB faster. That is where the increase in throttle response comes from ie, it takes away some of the throttle-by-wire's defficiencies.

But experimentally.. yea, no gains.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by PhamKL@Dec 18 2005, 09:25 AM

But on the tC, the OE ground is fractionally worse, percentage wise, to an aftermarket ground.

Theoretically though, grounding kits will always have a positive impact. So long as they're designed properly, better voltage will get to the TB faster. That is where the increase in throttle response comes from ie, it takes away some of the throttle-by-wire's defficiencies.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by PhamKL@Dec 18 2005, 09:25 AM

No. The throttlebody is electrically isolated from all engine ground. The intake is plastic. The throttlebody gets all its electrical control from the wires in its connector. None of them go to engine ground. Claims about throttle by wire improvements from grounding are pure BS.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.