Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. My wife just bought a 2006 Scion tC. She checked the oil yesterday and it was fine. Today she was driving, “smelled something weird” , pulled over and her oil light came on checked the oil level and it was on the low mark. She shut the motor off and now it cranks once and won’t do anything after. I’m a die hard Chevy truck guy so this is out of my ball park. Any ideas on what may have happened? Safety lock, burnt piston rings causing motor lock or other failures? She said it didn’t over heat and she was in 5th on a freeway when it happened so rpm overload couldn’t be it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Those engines are known to burn oil. The issue is the pistons were designed with these tiny holes that should pass oil through them to cool/lube the piston and piston rings. However if slug builds up in those holes they no longer pass oil and the piston rings start to wear out and oil slips past and burns up. Some people had to put in a qt of oil in every day. A rebuild may fix the issue, but the engine might be too far gone for that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts