Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had this problem and gotten it fixed? I just got a 2006 tC and am having an intermittent problem of getting it into first gear. This happens about one in twenty times after having driven for a while and putting the car in neutral at a dead stop. I took it to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate the problem, and that Scion had no other reports of this kind of problem, so there was nothing wrong with the car. From this forum, I know others have had this problem, like racertc's post back in November of 2004. If you got the dealer to fix the problem, I need to know what exactly the dealer determined the problem was and how it was fixed so that I can tell my dealer. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
When I am going about 10 MPH and want to go into 1st it takes a little push to get it in, but no problems from a direct stop. I do have a 2006 with about 750 miles on it.

-Eric

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had that problem too, but never from a dead stop. It usually happens when I'm going really slowly behind another car, less that 5 MPH, and I try to shift to 1st from the previous gear I was in, because, in my experience, 2nd gear isn't very effective at that speed. I have successfully double clutched before but if there's a lot of traffic I just slip it into 2nd and go about my business. The clutch doesn't really like it, but it's better than stalling.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
I have that too something tells me just a hunch tho that there is something mechanical that stops it so you dont mess up the gears. Just a hunch it is no problem

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
But won't that lug your engine? I haven't really tried but I think a car should be able to go into first gear at 5MPH. Their is no reason why I should be going 10MPH up my driveway. Do you suggest that I should completely stop then go into first?

-Eric

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
That's the best thing to do.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
How long will my synchros last? And are synchros only used in first gear?

-Eric

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
As long as you treat them nicely. If you don't treat them nicely, they'll last just long enough to get you through warranty. All forward gears have a synchro, and if I remember right, this gearbox has a reverse synchro too.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
So how do I not screw up the other synchros other than first, since I know how to avoid messing up first gear's synchros?

-Eric

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by scion233@Jan 25 2006, 10:07 AM
Has anybody had this problem and gotten it fixed? I just got a 2006 tC and am having an intermittent problem of getting it into first gear. This happens about one in twenty times after having driven for a while and putting the car in neutral at a dead stop. I took it to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate the problem, and that Scion had no other reports of this kind of problem, so there was nothing wrong with the car. From this forum, I know others have had this problem, like racertc's post back in November of 2004. If you got the dealer to fix the problem, I need to know what exactly the dealer determined the problem was and how it was fixed so that I can tell my dealer. Thanks for your help.
i have had this problem with every car that i have owned, 93 integra, 93 civic hatch, 89 crx si, and now my tc, i wouldn't say 1 in 20 tries, maybe few times a year, and that was consistent with all of my cars, including the tc, just double clutch like everyone says, lets you into first everytime, don't force it, i did that with my tc cuz i figured that it only happened with my other cars cuz they were old, so i forced it and it grinded, so double clutch every time that happens

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
What exactly would happen if I did mess up the synchros badly?

-Eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies, but I haven't found the answer to my question yet. To me, double clutching is not the answer. I shouldn't have to double clutch, ever. I have owned a lot of cars over the past 40 years, all makes and models, all stick shifts, and I have never had this problem before. I talked again to the dealer. Although they can't fix it now, they have guaranteed that if the problem gets worse, they will fix it even if it is past warantee. I am getting this in writing. I think anyone else with the problem should do the same, at the very least.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've noticed this too. Sometimes, and this is not very often, but if I'm going very slow (probably 2-3mph), and I try to put it in 1st gear, it really fights me. When it does this (very rarely), I just come to a stop and then put it in 1st. Or if I can't stop, I just go for 2nd.

But the 10mph thing and going into 1st? No way. My rule of thumb is if the car is moving, shoot for 2nd.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I think you are missing the point, scion233. Everyone else has said that this is not a problem and that you should not be trying to shift into first at 10 MPH.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Oh, there is nothing mechanically preventing you from shifting into first at an inappropriate speed. I managed to miss a 5th to 3rd downshift (my fault) and hit first (but didn't let the clutch out) at 41 mph. The gearbox really didn't like it much, but it did it.

233, I don't know what you mean by never have to double clutch with a manual. I've owned a large number of cars over the last 29 years, and every manual I've ever had didn't want to go into gear at some point. All I've ever had to do was let out the clutch to spin up the input and countershaft and get the sychro hub to line up with the dogs on the gear. Sure the dogs are pointed and the splines on the synchro hub are pointed, but every once in a blue moon they don't line up and it doesn't want to shift into gear (this is at a stop).

If yours is doing this while the car is moving, then I agree, you have a serious gearbox issue, and it should be fixed under warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.