Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my ZEX kit in the other day and I will be bringing it to my guys at SDR in Indiana. I just had a quick question.....I will be using the ZEX kit with the 55 shot pill and will be using a WOT switch. I was thinking how fun it would be to use it everyday....that is until I get my turbo kit in the summer.....my buddy said that it would be a good idea to do some work to my fuel system. My ZEX set up includes the 55 shot, purge valve, bottle pressure gauge, bottle heater, a safety blow down kit, and a WOT switch. Now my question is what should I do to my fuel system so I don’t blow my engine and I can use the nitrous anytime i want. Spell check is not working so sorry for all the errors....

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i know zero about NOS. where's lance when you need him?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I don't trust dry shot systems. You might get away with a 55 shot on the OEM injectors, but I wouldn't bet my engine on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I forgot to tell you all that it is a Wet shot. I guess that is an important thing
...Hey lo bux racer do you think it would be ok to run the nitrous all day everyday. I mean like have the bottle always open and spray it just in cause i need it...What kind of fuel upgrades should I do if any at all or any other upgrades at all?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok so you have most of the safety and performance equipment for the kit. If your car is a manual you should also get a window switch.. Lookup MSD window Switch on google or buy it at summitracing.com. What that does is activates the nitrous at a desired rpm and deactivates at a certain rpm so that your kit will only spray at WOT above lets say 3k rpms and will shut off usually 2-300 rpm before rev limiter so that you do not hit rev limiter while spraying which is real bad. Next on a wet kit you do not need to upgrade injectors since your fuel solenoid will be providing fuel. What you should do is hook up a mechanical fuel gauge and tape it to the window so you can watch it and make sure you dont have a huge drop in fuel pressure when you are spraying. You can either get a better fuel pump or put an inline boost a pump which ups the voltage of your current pump to basically do the same thing. If you spray your car all the time you should expect things to break it will happen 55 shot 100 shot whatever. Nitrous is a shock power adder and does not come on gradually. Also optimum psi in the bottle with the warmer is about 1100. I run mine in my trans am/formula at 1150. I also spray 150-250shot on it and will be spraying 300 at the track. With nitrous you also want to run a step colder spark plug to lessen the chances of detonation/preignition. I would recommend running better than 87 octane too or backing the ignition timing off 2 degrees. You may not need to do all this just for a 50 shot but they are very good things to consider and it's better to be safe than sorry. If anyone has any nitrous questions feel free to ask I know a pretty good amount. Unfortunetly I just got my scion so I dont know alot about them but i have done all my work on my formula which includes pulling motor, building new one, clutch, rear end basically everything replaced. After I put a few thousand miles on the scion hopefully there will be more parts out for it and I will start tearing into that thing too.. Good luck to you and everyone here.. MOD AWAY!!

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i cant say i have ever been a fan of the trans am, but thats a pretty nice ride.

and, for the record, this is a pretty intimidating angle.

thanks for the info, and welcome to our site.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks man. I actually hated that front end when I first got the car but it grew on me.. Once there are more internals for the 2.4 I will begin modding it so thast im not spending a bunch of money on parts that are just borrowed time

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the engine's internals, I'd be alot more concerned about the drivetrain. I was just talking to a friend who is a Lexus service manager and has lots of experience modding Toyotas (he was a Toyota service manager for many years before going to Lexus) about Toyco drivetrains, and he agrees that Toyota builds some of the strongest engines mated to some of the most marginal drivetrains ever (with the one exception being the MkIV Supra).

I am very confident you can double the stock output of the 2AZ without any engine related issues, but you may have transaxle problems, especially with sticky tires.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Originally posted by Blue xTC 06@Nov 12 2005, 02:42 AM
Ok so you have most of the safety and performance equipment for the kit. If your car is a manual you should also get a window switch.. Lookup MSD window Switch on google or buy it at summitracing.com. What that does is activates the nitrous at a desired rpm and deactivates at a certain rpm so that your kit will only spray at WOT above lets say 3k rpms and will shut off usually 2-300 rpm before rev limiter so that you do not hit rev limiter while spraying which is real bad. Next on a wet kit you do not need to upgrade injectors since your fuel solenoid will be providing fuel. What you should do is hook up a mechanical fuel gauge and tape it to the window so you can watch it and make sure you dont have a huge drop in fuel pressure when you are spraying. You can either get a better fuel pump or put an inline boost a pump which ups the voltage of your current pump to basically do the same thing. If you spray your car all the time you should expect things to break it will happen 55 shot 100 shot whatever. Nitrous is a shock power adder and does not come on gradually. Also optimum psi in the bottle with the warmer is about 1100. I run mine in my trans am/formula at 1150. I also spray 150-250shot on it and will be spraying 300 at the track. With nitrous you also want to run a step colder spark plug to lessen the chances of detonation/preignition. I would recommend running better than 87 octane too or backing the ignition timing off 2 degrees. You may not need to do all this just for a 50 shot but they are very good things to consider and it's better to be safe than sorry. If anyone has any nitrous questions feel free to ask I know a pretty good amount. Unfortunetly I just got my scion so I dont know alot about them but i have done all my work on my formula which includes pulling motor, building new one, clutch, rear end basically everything replaced. After I put a few thousand miles on the scion hopefully there will be more parts out for it and I will start tearing into that thing too.. Good luck to you and everyone here.. MOD AWAY!!
Nice info!!!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I'd be really concerned about damaging the intake manifold. It's plastic. Nitrous backfires are unfortunately common, so it's a distinct possibility you'll be replacing an intake manifold at some point. It's a definite showstopper too.

·
Registered
508 Posts
one thing you have to look at with the intake manifold is you need to look and see if there is any areas that might let the gas from the wet shot build up a puddle. it does happen. thats where most of your nitrous backfires in the intake manifold come from. if anyone is wondering what a nitrous backfire might look or sound like and the damage it can cause go to streetfire.net. they have a few videos of cars doing it on the street and on dyno runs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Honestly though if were talking about less than a 75 shot here its very rare to see puddling or a backfire unless its on a car with traction control thats what caused it on the yellow vette video that floats around. What happens is he came out hard on the juice and traction control cut the throttle and fuel, spark advance so everything had no where to go but then the traction control let him get back into and bam backfire..I think youd have to worry about internals before a nitrous backfire as long as you set your system up right. I know its not a scion board but IM a mod over at ls1tech.com and there are so many nitrous cars over there and that is the least popular out of things going wrong on a juiced car... 9 out of ten times it was traction control or improperly set up

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nitrous all day everyday is going to cost you an arm and a leg refilling those bottles all the time.

Dont take the cheap and easy way out. Im not against nitrous like a lot of people are, im just saying do it right and build your motor up to handle the nitrous first and then do it, dont just chuck a bottle on there and pray it doesnt blow.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
fairladyz541 I dont think you are fully understanding, there is not a metal manifold or a stronger manifold, there really aren't any engine components, besides injectors and the like that are going to help you. The tC has a wonderful engine, but the tC just hasn't been on the market long enough to have pieces to build that motor.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.