Scion tC Forums banner
981 - 994 of 994 Posts

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #981 ·

Fresh pics. It's been over a year since the dip has been on and still holding up well! There are small holes from road debris but that's why I dipped it :whistle:
Planning to uncover the side mirror turn signals and spray on a rear diffuser by the next update!

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #982 · (Edited)
Updates on the tC
I drove to the shoreline of California to say the car has successfully gone coast to coast! Enjoyed a nice road trip from Pheonix to San Diego, nearly 850 miles around. Much needed new tires & alignment were installed the week before as well as an intake filter replacement. The car really performed well for those long highway hours, I'm glad it was tuned up for the ride.

Long overdue..also replaced the cabin filter for cleaner air

Dunes of Yuma

Car camping with plenty of room for gear in the hatch

La Jolla Beach, CA :cool:

Super proud moment a few months back; I was cruising down the highway beside a matte gold Nissan GTR and the driver gave me a thumbs up out the window

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #984 ·
tC is holding up well. I replaced the HID headlights with standard halogens since a bulb burned out- after 7 years of use! Happy to have the old bulbs back in and the headlights more “normal” at night. The PIAA plasma yellow fog lights still add some extra color. Also replaced the shifter LED back to original halogen bulb. Driving down the highway last week I ran over some tire shreds that pushed in my lower grille, breaking the zip ties. Gonna have to remove the bumper and reattach it soon. Thankfully the 'dip has been preventing road rash.

I did some arts ’n crafts and Plastidipped black trim onto the bumper. Pics of the finished product will come after a good wash. The dip is fading on the front and rear so I'm planning to toy around with the look before peeling it all this summer. Thinking of painting the front fascia and side mirrors.

Parked next to some inspiration~

Photoshoot coming soon :wave:

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #986 ·
Thank you Eastie, it's fun to keep this thread alive!

I recently purchased a DSLR camera and am excited to make my next post with quality photos.

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #987 ·

Time for an update !
I have started removing the Plastidip piece by piece. The paint under the 'dip looks just as good as the day it was covered. Looking back on the process, I wish I sprayed another gallon to make the peeling easier- thin dip doesn’t peel so googone will be necessary :hammer:

Here’s a video of revving the engine for the archives. Filmed it way out in the desert along some nice curvy roads. It was great downshifting into turns, accelerating, and rocketing out the bend to the next - https://youtu.be/LY9QcnzgE-Q

I found a Scion hubcap near the driveway of my apartment and Dremeled off the excess plastic to leave me with a nice Scion "coin"; seen here with a couple catalogs from '08.

Misc. changes: the cabin dome light was replaced with a UV blacklight LED, cabin air filter replaced earlier this fall too. The TBL vinyl is super sun damaged and appears to have shrunk- will be replacing it soon.

Going to be taking pics of the color change process as I go. Looking forward to having the nautical blue metallic back!

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #988 ·
I wanted to be methodical and try out a few different looks as I removed the Plastidip.
Started with the top rail

Continued on to a two-tone look with the whole rail back to blue. I liked this style but the rips in the dip were uneven.

Progressed onto ripping along the latitude of the car. This was satisfying to pick at and a good stress reducer like popping packaging bubbles.

Most rips came off very easily. Still some difficult areas from overspray on the edges but all the panels peel smoothly. I continued onto the hood to make the dip look like flames and ripping from the SPEED.

Whole process has been over the course of 6 months. I’m planning to remove the rest and detail the paint soon.
Currently the odometer is at 99,000 miles; 100k here we come!

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #989 ·
Since having ample time during my transition from grad school to career I volunteered helping a friend around his auto detailing business. We worked together most weekdays in the peak of summer in south Phoenix without air-conditioning. As a token of appreciation he gifted me with the top level detail that only the owner’s car gets ;) We completed washing, compounding, cutting, polishing, and topped it off with a ceramic coat to protect it from the elements. The car surpassed 100,000 miles recently and this restoration made for the perfect milestone marker.

The color of the car in the sun is like blueberry gloss. It’s nearly a mirror finish and deep in color; I am truly grateful for the time & skills invested.

Next post will be the process it took to achieve such greatness ~

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #990 ·
100,000 Mile Restoration:
I painted the wheels with black Plastidip and a few coats of gloss. The previous gunmetal hints through the top layer. It’s nice to have a new color and fresh paint. Took me about 45 hasty minutes to spray them with all four wheels off the car.

Interior detailing consisted of seat removal with wet vac all over. The carpet was still fairly clean so the vac mostly pulled dust that had settled over the past dozen years. The seats were scrubbed and wet vac’d too which really brought out the blue color thread pattern.

We dissolved all the reach-able Plastidip on the vehicle which consisted of both bumpers taken off. There’s still some overspray in the door jamb and crevices along the roofline but these can be overlooked.

The dome lights are back to incandescent bulbs, lip spoiler removed, third brake light & headlight eyelids un-tinted; getting back to basics. The head unit was also re-flashed with updated maps and software that had previously been malfunctioning for a few years. Upgraded to a larger capacity SD card for more music storage too. I swapped the front grille, from Figure Grilles to a 3D plastic set- the Fig grilles were warped from bad fitment and bent in the lower corner after eating a rock on the highway. Also replaced the S2000 antenna from the washer/ screw combo for a more original look. Headlights were wet sanded and the glass roof polished to remove water spots. I reapplied clear vinyl over the APT fog lights to protect the glass from (further) chipping. Removed the plastic engine cover and added a valve cover plate courtesy of Dr. Isotope for a nice solid look. The Scion badge on the hatch is back to original brushed aluminum and I’m beyond proud to rep such a pristine tC - they don’t make ‘em like they used to !

Anyone interested in the detailing shop where we worked on the car can visit -> Diamond Perfection Details

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #991 ·
- Cross Country Road Trip -
I have since moved back to the East Coast to begin work. When I initially moved out to Arizona the tC was loaded onto a trailer and towed. This time around I opted to drive the car and ship the rest. Most of my furniture and bulky items were stashed in a closet-sized box and hauled East by tractor trailer. I Tetris’d the tC’s storage capacity; went so far as to remove the back bench and headrests to save space- those were sent in the container. There was so much crammed into this car it was unbelievable- vision out each window was still preserved albeit just slivers of each 😅. Layer upon layer of clothing, lamps, shoes, diplomas, tents, tools, books, a TV, two plants.. I had to keep my water jug in my footwell at the start cause there was no more room. I didn’t even have the whole armrest since that’s where my lunch box sat LOL.

I hit the road with a full tank of fuel and fresh oil, heading from Phoenix towards Albuquerque, NM. To save some cash I tried my hand at car camping the first night (rough) and had my sights set on a cushy bed in Oklahoma the second night. The roads out West were straight, clear, flat- beautiful cruising at 80 mph, 4 inches off the asphalt.

I had an excellent driver’s comfort approach to my meals and hydration/ caffeination. Swung through Cadillac Ranch for a graffiti tag and Texas BBQ. OK had my favorite roads; cool crisp air, nice pavement, and long rolling straightaways to put the radar detector to use. I monitored engine vitals with the ScanGauge II, GPS tracking through the Pioneer HU, and LEO notifications on the Cobra; it was smooth sailing to Memphis, TN. Grabbed dinner and a show in B.B. Kings Blues Club on Beale street then kept trucking into the night.

On my fourth day I planned the longest leg (hindsight is 20/20, this was brutal). I crossed the border into the final state Virginia, and plotted along to the coastline. This home-stretch was exceptionally long due to not being able to use the radar detector I grew accustomed to checking. I reached my destination the night of the fourth full day of driving ~ 2,300 miles later. What a long adventure! I can now say my tC has driven coast-to-coast; San Diego, CA <-> AZ [September 2018] then this trip from AZ -> VA. Super proud of how well the car handled the thirty hours on the highway- it looks great here, glossier than before, and better than ever.

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #992 ·
Fall update of a few things around the tC ~

A fresh die cast model tC is now parked on my shelf.

The center armrest had a broken hinge that needed repair for well over a year; feels nice and sturdy now. The hatch handle was repaired too, it broke off its mount like all other gen1 tC’s suffer. I epoxied the pieces back together and a bit more to reinforce the brittle plastic; still wiggly though. Sunroof needs repair too- it jams and hasn’t been opened for a few years, oof!

A front license plate was installed to be within the laws here in VA. I decided to mount it off-center using the front tow hook - never thought I would in the past but am happy with the results. The floating appearance and location don’t interrupt the design as much. I bought an unpainted spare tow hook cover and drilled it out for a seamless look.

Replaced the intake filter after 1 year ~11k miles on it and cleaned the MAF sensor at the same time. Replaced the cabin air filter too, there was a big ol’ dragonfly decaying in the old one. Replaced another expired TPMS for an astronomical price at the dealer- I plan to just have the last two replaced when the next TPMS goes; done at a tire shop instead of Toyota.

And I figure this is the most fitting place to post this silliness but for one moment in time my profile had the most points on YStC :giggle:

PEACE

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,068 Posts
Just dropped my tC off at my moms a week ago. She is without transportation for right now so letting her keep it for a while. Still have my die cast in its original box :p

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #994 ·
Engi! So nice to see your posting on here.
Yes the diecast is a fun little memento of our reliable tC's ~

Next on my list of repairs is the sun roof; thinking it may need a thorough greasing of the wind deflector arms. These are the usual suspects that trigger the anti-squish mechanism preventing the window from closing.

981 - 994 of 994 Posts