Scion tC Forums banner

981 - 988 of 988 Posts

·
Frequent Flyer
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #981

Fresh pics. It's been over a year since the dip has been on and still holding up well! There are small holes from road debris but that's why I dipped it :whistle:
Planning to uncover the side mirror turn signals and spray on a rear diffuser by the next update!

·
Frequent Flyer
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #982 (Edited)
Updates on the tC
I drove to the shoreline of California to say the car has successfully gone coast to coast! Enjoyed a nice road trip from Pheonix to San Diego, nearly 850 miles around. Much needed new tires & alignment were installed the week before as well as an intake filter replacement. The car really performed well for those long highway hours, I'm glad it was tuned up for the ride.

Long overdue..also replaced the cabin filter for cleaner air

Dunes of Yuma

Car camping with plenty of room for gear in the hatch

La Jolla Beach, CA :cool:

Super proud moment a few months back; I was cruising down the highway beside a matte gold Nissan GTR and the driver gave me a thumbs up out the window

·
Frequent Flyer
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #984
tC is holding up well. I replaced the HID headlights with standard halogens since a bulb burned out- after 7 years of use! Happy to have the old bulbs back in and the headlights more “normal” at night. The PIAA plasma yellow fog lights still add some extra color. Also replaced the shifter LED back to original halogen bulb. Driving down the highway last week I ran over some tire shreds that pushed in my lower grille, breaking the zip ties. Gonna have to remove the bumper and reattach it soon. Thankfully the 'dip has been preventing road rash.

I did some arts ’n crafts and Plastidipped black trim onto the bumper. Pics of the finished product will come after a good wash. The dip is fading on the front and rear so I'm planning to toy around with the look before peeling it all this summer. Thinking of painting the front fascia and side mirrors.

Parked next to some inspiration~

Photoshoot coming soon :wave:

·
Frequent Flyer
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #987

Time for an update !
I have started removing the Plastidip piece by piece. The paint under the 'dip looks just as good as the day it was covered. Looking back on the process, I wish I sprayed another gallon to make the peeling easier- thin dip doesn’t peel so googone will be necessary :hammer:

Here’s a video of revving the engine for the archives. Filmed it way out in the desert along some nice curvy roads. It was great downshifting into turns, accelerating, and rocketing out the bend to the next - https://youtu.be/LY9QcnzgE-Q

I found a Scion hubcap near the driveway of my apartment and Dremeled off the excess plastic to leave me with a nice Scion "coin"; seen here with a couple catalogs from '08.

Misc. changes: the cabin dome light was replaced with a UV blacklight LED, cabin air filter replaced earlier this fall too. The TBL vinyl is super sun damaged and appears to have shrunk- will be replacing it soon.

Going to be taking pics of the color change process as I go. Looking forward to having the nautical blue metallic back!

·
Frequent Flyer
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #988
I wanted to be methodical and try out a few different looks as I removed the Plastidip.
Started with the top rail

Continued on to a two-tone look with the whole rail back to blue. I liked this style but the rips in the dip were uneven.

Progressed onto ripping along the latitude of the car. This was satisfying to pick at and a good stress reducer like popping packaging bubbles.

Most rips came off very easily. Still some difficult areas from overspray on the edges but all the panels peel smoothly. I continued onto the hood to make the dip look like flames and ripping from the SPEED.

Whole process has been over the course of 6 months. I’m planning to remove the rest and detail the paint soon.
Currently the odometer is at 99,000 miles; 100k here we come!

981 - 988 of 988 Posts