Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the primary reason get HIDs? I'm assuming it is aesthetic purposes. What are other advantages, disadvantages?

Also, which colors of HIDs are legal? I don't know anything about that. I live in Washington State and was wondering where I can find out what colors are illegal here. I forget if it was blue or purple that was illegal...?

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Blue and Purple could both probably get you in trouble, red and blue are illegal(emerency vehicle colors), and purple would probably be confused for blue. A light tint of a color probably wouldn't get you in trouble, but if it is a really strong blue, for example, you could get pulled over for it.

HID lighting is not only aestheic, althought it does look badass. It really just lights up everything better (as long as it is done right) You get a wider band of light that imo seems to liven up everything at night.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience there are many benefits to doing a HID conversion. First of all, they provide up to 3Xs the visible light of regular halogen bulbs. Meaning better, clearer visibility at night both in dry and rainy conditions. Also, they create a lighting more similar to day time making night time driving safer and keeping you more aware (according to statistics). They do look outstanding, but that is no reason to spend $300 or more on headlights. Once you get them, you'll wonder how you ever got around without them.

· Registered
34 Posts
Actually you should expect to pay alot more than 300 for a quality kit like philips. In most cases you can get one for around 300 or a little more for plug and play kits. I would recommend those though. Go on ebay and do a search for hella conversions kits or denso conversion kits. Denso is used in toyotas and other japanese vehicles and hella is used in german manufactuarers such as BMW, Audi, VW, etc. Ive seen these OEM kits for about 280+shipping=around 300 on ebay. You should also spend some extra money buying upgraded fuses and wireharnesses for insurance. If you have the money go for a kit from xenon depot. They sell authentic philips kits and include upgraded fuses and wiring harnesses. When it comes to HID its all about what you have the money for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.