Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Thanks for the link. Looks like Larry put together a really nice kit. Not just show but go too.

BTW, Sound Performance did a great deal of work on Marco's Supra. They know boosted engines, so this is probably one of the nicest pieces you are going to find. Still not smog legal, but sweet none-the-less.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah looks nice. I need to fix my lound sounding car from having headers mid-pipe and exhaust by getting a turbo

· Registered
11,890 Posts
Nice kit
Sound Performance is good, great shop, and from what I hear real good guys. They addressed some of the issues, but they sure did fall short on the engine management.

· Registered
19 Posts
"SP TC 32 Turbo (non ball bearing)" With a non ball-bearing turbo there's gonna be lag...not sure how much but i know other kits are at full boost at 2500 rpms

plus i don't completely trust the open bov method. i'm kinda growin partial to the recirculated method.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Bullsh!t. Bearing style is the MOST over-rated thing in the turbo world. Ball bearings resist end loading better. That's all, nothing more. They have yet to prove a bearing with more friction (a ball bearing) actually spools faster. I've talked to a LOT of real turbo people, and not one of them has observed faster spooling with ball bearings. Not only that, but there is no bearing with less friction than a plain bearing with reliable oil pressure.

There's one thing that matters: sizing. If you choose the right size, all this bullsh!t about bearings and spool up is nothing but clever marketing by the boys at Garrett.

AFA venting to atmosphere, it only matters if the BOV is after the MAF. If it is not, then it makes no difference at all. If the management is using speed density, it doesn't matter one bit where the BOV is, it works just fine.

· Registered
733 Posts
I love the nice clean underhood look and a tubular manifold. I do have concerns with long term reliability with thin wall piping, why we chose to use SS weld els for our manifold even though they are heavy.

I like the water and oil lines, the coatings, the piping for the intercooler, etc.

Not sure about the location of the MAF, not used to seeing it on that side of the turbo, will have to look into that idea more.

External waste gates look cool(to most people) and generally can perform better but I would prefer a longer pipe on the output before it merges into the main exhaust flow. (ours may not be very long either now)

Not into the BOV location, just more noise, not good for having fun, showing off is bad when the wrong ears hear it, can get away with more with a quiet car;)

Return fuel system is great, looking into doing that for our car, one more thing on the list of parts to get.

Exhaust is a bit close to the A/C unit, head sheild is probably a good idea.

I like the oil feed line layout, nicer fit off the head than others I have seen done.

OK, I have picked this apart quite a bit, many things I would do a bit differently but overall I really do like the clean/quality look of the whole system and craftsmanship, well done!

They are getting some great power at 7PSI but it takes quite a while to spool up according to what was posted. Possibly a bit to much turbo and a bit small on the intercooler(restricted flow?)

Just speculation here, I am no turbo guru by any means but I have been studying ALOT of the best builders methods, best publications, etc and learning a great deal.

Any comments on my comments???
Rick

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Yeah, that's more or less what I was thinking. If I really had the inclination to go totally illegal and risk the consequences of a turbo kit, it's the best I've seen yet. I agree with Rick on a number of points, not the least of which is I think that turbo is a little bigger than I'd like for street use, but it leaves a lot of room for further development.

I'm really funny about the wastegate return. I like to see it rejoin the exhaust at least a meter from the turbo. Just my preference to keep the turbulence to a minimum and give an opportunity to get a clean merge zone. It may very well be impossible to do that with the tC's engine compartment.

I've seen the MAF on the pressure side before, and I've heard from reliable sources you can really dial in part throttle operation a lot better with the MAF after the turbo. The only problem is the MAF tends not to live as long there because of the increased stress level. Still, from the GN people I've talked to, it really makes part throttle running sweet and gives a much sharper tune.

BOV's venting to atmosphere are a siren song to the police. No thanks, give me quick and quiet any day. Don't need anyone poking around under my hood to make my whole year turn sour.

Still, it's a sweet kit. Nicely done, details are right for the most part, and it follows convention for dealing with boost. Something none of the other guys seem to want to do. I'd seriously consider buying it if I wanted to risk it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.