Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the new tC here might be marketed in the rest of the world as the Toyota Celica. Which could be good or bad depending on your few point. Though I doubt it will be an AWD or RWD car. I have a friend who is still involved with TMS, and Toyota Marketing when they killed the MR-2 sypder and Celica they got alot of angry mail. The fact was that they just were not selling. fast foward a few years people still want the mr2 the tC took away the celicas market but the rest of the world doesnt have the tC. So my friend happened to make a comment about this subject the other night. and said basically do not be surprised if the rest of the world get the tC badged under the celica nameplate. This new car would be slightly larger and compete with the 2.5 altima coupe.

Gotta run lunch is over and the computer is down at the house but here is the photo...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
first off let me say i am aware that scion is owned by toyota. im not dumb. I have heard everyone saying that the tc replaced by the celica. But i dont get it, its made by scion, a different company (under the same owner). if toyota wanted to replace its sports coupe, why wouldnt toyota just make one?? If the SCION tc replaced the TOYOTA celica, what did all the other scions replace?

·
*Insert Something Cool*
2,101 Posts
Front is awful. The rest is groovy.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
middle door,window,roofline looks like a 350z shape no?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've seen this picture before. It came from [if I'm remembering this correctly] some Japanese car magazine which means it's basically vaporware. Those magazines have been promising us a Supra come back for years now.

I'll believe it when I see it. However, rumors seem to be mounting about some entry level RWD coupe. I'm really hoping (but not betting on) this will climax at some autoshow with the end-all show stopping AE86 spiritual successor.

Also, the Celica and MR2 just weren't selling. They were part of the Genesis program or something, along with the Matrix which actually made it, that was a Toyota project to introduce younger buyers into the Toyota demographic. That purpose is now taken on by Scion so in that way, the tC replaced the Celica.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
QUOTE (sciontC'06 @ Feb 25 2008, 06:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374407
first off let me say i am aware that scion is owned by toyota. im not dumb. I have heard everyone saying that the tc replaced by the celica. But i dont get it, its made by scion, a different company (under the same owner). if toyota wanted to replace its sports coupe, why wouldnt toyota just make one?? If the SCION tc replaced the TOYOTA celica, what did all the other scions replace?[/b]
The Scion tC did not OFFICIALLY replace the Toyota Celica. The Celica was being discontinued and the tC introduced at the same time. Whether it was a coincidence, or careful planning, it worked out for Toyota. Celica sales had dropped, tC sales went beyond expectation, and Toyota got a lot of new customers.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ ding ding ding!!! What do we have for them, Johnny?

Eric is dead on. As is Pham.

The introduction of an entry level rwd car is pretty unlikely right now. I haven't been able to get a single source to confirm. In fact, every person I took the question to asked where I got it. When I told them, they told me to forget what that mag prints, it is all hype and speculation, nothing grounded in actual fact.

Patience, friends. Things are happening. Just not by the NY autoshow.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
ohh i see i see

·
Registered
137 Posts
I will tell you the truth whether you want to hear it or not . The TC was released to replace the Celica . Period . Scion was born to bring in younger people due to many surveys . The #1 thing people associated with the word TOYOTA was old age . They needed something to get younger people . Scion was born . . The other Scions were not made to replace anything . They were made aimed at young people . The TC was to because they wanted a sporty car to replace the Celica as the Celica sales here were not all that hot . Will the Celica come back ? Maybe . The original plan was to produce the TC to fit young and young adults . The Celica basically hit the 18 - 24 demographic . The TC is aimed there as well as older . They cut there losses by dropping the Celica and adding the TC under the Scion brand . Very easy to understand . I do not know how the TC is doing compared to the Celica at this time . really do not care . I do know why it was made . Whether it comtinues by itself or the Celica might come back is anyone's guess . I cannot guess . The TC is sporty but not as much as the Celica . Personally , I hated the Celica . Liked the seats but nothing else . Celica also had some problems with the bottom front being wide open . Radiators were getting beaten to death .

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by ^^^that guy
I will tell you the truth whether you want to hear it or not .
Wow, thank you for bringing your expertise to this discussion.
We are certainly aware of why Scion was launched, although you are off on your demographic just a little. We marketed originally (our focus is shifting a little now) to the 18-29 year set, and, more specifically, at a mere 2.5% of that demographic.
The tC is NOT the official replacement for the Celica. The Celica was slated for the scrap pile before the concept of the tC had ever been drawn up. The Celica suffered the same fate as the Honda Prelude. It found itself priced out of the market. Honda made the smart decision to cut the Prelude years ahead of Toyota cutting the Celica, and the Celica continued to be a losing battle for Toyota. When the time was right, and the cost could be controlled, Honda launched the RSX as 2002 model, offering the Type S at a price lower than the GT-S Celica. And the Type S outperformed and out classed the Celica. That was the final nail.
The Scion tC is a North American Market vehicle ONLY. The Celica was shipped worldwide, and was continually available over seas until the last one rolled out of the factory in April of 06, almost two years after the tC was launched.
The same thing happened with the MR2 Spyder. It left the NA market after the 05 MY, but we have members who have 06 versions in New Zealand and Australia.
Plus, ask any Celica owner, especially a 7th gen GT-S owner, if the tC is a suitable replacement for that little rocket. The answer is going to be no. The GT-S outperforms the tC, out-handles the tC, stock for stock every day. Just don't ask them about the price difference if they bought the GT-S new.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The TC in no way is as sporty as the Celica . I thought I said that . My apologies if I did not . Have fun with the discussion . No need to argue about it . I can assure you i do have expertise in this field . Really makes no difference though . I shared facts . Not opinions . Facts as presented inside Toyota . Again . Does it matter . I will leave this alone . Enjoy whatever you drive . The TC has many problems as being a sports car . The demographic is why . Something sporty BUT , a classy look without ALL the sportiness look . Did a good job in my opinion . I like it . I wonder if/when the Fuse will come into play . I was told awhile back that it might be in play in 2009 . Looks like that is scrapped for now .

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
One word: comma. Look it up on Wikipedia or something. Because clearly, you are unfamiliar with that particular form of punctuation. Or you're a robot. Some kind of grammatically challenged robot.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
QUOTE (Dr. Isotope @ Feb 26 2008, 07:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374819
One word: comma. Look it up on Wikipedia or something. Because clearly, you are unfamiliar with that particular form of punctuation. Or you're a robot. Some kind of grammatically challenged robot.
[/b]
Been a while since I had to bring this out for the ol' Doc's scoreboard

EDIT: Kill count 14

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Well.... From what I understand..... there is no Celica coming out, there is no SCION xP coming out, there is no FOURTH SCION model slated to come out as of yet. Don't take everything you read in magazines as the Gospel. Did you ever stop to think that SCION is putting everything out there for you all to gab about to keep you away from what they're REALLY doing?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ No way. Toyota would NEVER do that...

·
Registered
262 Posts
about the fuse in an earlier post, i dont think it should come out, it will mainly be bought by the (rap/hiphop) community and ruin it like the charger/magnum and the 300. they will put REALLY ugly and large rims on them and put ALOT of chrome accents on them. and also prob. put buick style air dams on the top of the fenders.

which will ruin the look of the car just like it does for any other car they do this too

1 - 20 of 36 Posts