Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have all the components in. I just wanted to know a few details before I started. Some of these may sound dumb but I don't do this for a living and just wanted to make this as easy as possible.

1. How easy do the door pannels come off? Is there anything I need to look out for?

2. Same for the back pannels.

3. I have seen that there is a point to get through the firewall on the drivers side...where is another point? How do you get the cable throught either side? Does it require any drilling or just a tight fit?

4. Where is a good spot for the fuse on the power cable(mounting wise) and where are people putting a power block or splitter?

5. This may sound pretty stupid but.....what should I use to mount my speakers? What kind of screws or nuts and bolts??? I have Greg's mounting brackets but I'm not sure what to use to secure them to the door. (BTW for anyone who cares..Greg's mounts do not fit FOCAL speakers...it is damn close but just barely dont fit...not too big of a deal very easy to fix but in case someone was wondering) .

6. What cables can be run on the same side of the vehicle. Even easier....what cables can be run on the power cable side???? Speaker wire and remote???

I know some of these sound dumb but I don't want to do this twice. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
1. How easy do the door pannels come off? Is there anything I need to look out for?[/b]
Very easy, maybe ten minutes. here is a good instruction
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24781
One note, there is one connector on the drivers panel, two connectors on the passenger panel.
2. Same for the back pannels.[/b]
Back panels are even easier.
1. Pull straight up on rear seat, it will pop off, set aside.
2. Turn hooks in door panels 90 degrees and they will pop out
3. The rest is just clips, just start pulling
4. Just make sure you get all the clips back in the door panel.
3. I have seen that there is a point to get through the firewall on the drivers side...where is another point? How do you get the cable throught either side? Does it require any drilling or just a tight fit?[/b]
I put my wire through drivers side because that is where the battery is.
http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5243
I ran power and remote down drivers side, RCAs down passenger side
Some other people like the passenger side, im not sure why

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...6&hl=power+wire

4. Where is a good spot for the fuse on the power cable(mounting wise) and where are people putting a power block or splitter?[/b]
Fuse should be within 12 - 18" of the battery. THis is a pic of mine.

I hid my distribution block back by my hidden amp box. Pretty much any solid surface will be fine for it. Here is a pic of that box i built.

5. This may sound pretty stupid but.....what should I use to mount my speakers? What kind of screws or nuts and bolts??? I have Greg's mounting brackets but I'm not sure what to use to secure them to the door. (BTW for anyone who cares..Greg's mounts do not fit FOCAL speakers...it is damn close but just barely dont fit...not too big of a deal very easy to fix but in case someone was wondering) .[/b]
Greg used 10mm bolts, nuts, washers...I used some old body bolts and nylon nuts I had laying around. Pretty much anything you have will work for mounting as long as it is secure and won't loosen with vibration.
6. What cables can be run on the same side of the vehicle. Even easier....what cables can be run on the power cable side???? Speaker wire and remote???[/b]
Only power wires should be run together, run anything with audio signal down the other side.

Hope this helps, any other questions speak up!

·
Registered
243 Posts
if it is possible for someone with experience to make a how to for installing a new head unit (the stereo for those who don't know what that is) that would be great. i have no idea how to do that, though someday i might consider doing it. i can't imagine it being too difficult. of course this can be at your convinince and you dont have to do it at all, but if you are installing one and dont mind taking some pics then that would be cool.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Thats pretty straight forward, is there something in specific that scares you. I mean the basic idea is: Take off dash (15 secs), remove 10mm bolts and two phillips screws (1 min), remove radio and unplug harness, add adapter harness, put new radio in adapter piece, plug in new harness to radio, attach antenna, bolt new radio in, attach dash, enjoy.....i mean its way easy. Is there something you are scared of or specific you need help with?

·
Registered
160 Posts
What gauge wire should be used for the remote turn on wire?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.