Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up people,
I have been reading these threads all day long eating them up. Basically My Scion tC will be comming in any day now. Now I think it is a great car stock, however I would like to boost the performance a little, however Im not a street racer I just like to burn it every now and then. I also am very impressed with the mpg the car gets and dont want to vary too far from those great numbers.
So with that being said I would like some suggestions on what mods to get aftermarket and install myself. Cold air intake, RAM air, exhaust system, header???????
Also what is the difference between cold air intake and the ram air? Not how they work because I understand that but which one getts better performance? And what about some of these air pump type typhoon superchargers i see on ebay, are they better because they actually pump air into the TB?

Anyway as you can tell Im new so be easy on me.
peace

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Injen CAI, either TRD or Injen exhaust. I don't know about headers. CAI goes down near the fender? so if you live in areas that flood then a CAI wouldn't be a good idea. I would say get the CAI over the ram air. Consider the K&N Typhoon also.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That typhoon "supercharger" has plenty of threads written about it..dont get it, waste of money..but like some of the parts that phungy suggested..not a conisderable amount of power, but more then stock for sure..also the Magnaflow exhaust has some great reviews..sounds awesome on a tiny little four banger like that tC

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are going to go with a CAI look into the Injen. It can be installed as either a short ram or CAI, if rain is an issue. I am going with the CAI for when it is warm here and the short ram when it rains more than it doesn't. It's really all personal preference though. My opinion for some mods would be to beef up the suspension a little. TRD springs are awesome they change the handling and it gives the car a better look. But once again...it's all personal preference. Welcome to the site. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies and please dont stop. However concerning the suspension, I dont want to lower the car any simply because I dont like that lowrider look and I tend to get impatient sometimes and jump curbs.
( im used to driving an isuzu rodeo) I will probably not go with a CAI because Im in Louisiana and it rains alot here and sometimes the roads flood so I dont want to mess up the engine, however I might do the Injen RAM air setup. I was hoping the RAM would give me a little more HP though.
What about exhaust, I saw that video that someone posted and the exhaust sounded great. But im not wasting 500 bucks to get a sound, so how much performance boost do you get from a setup like that? I think the product was Catback Aluminized Exhaust Kit with a magnaflow from creativecompacts.com
Does the added exhaust upgrade help with the intake upgrade to produce even higher HP numbers?

Also has anyone tried any of these black market chips which remove the RPM govenor and the top speed govenor? Worth the cost?
thanks

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
just say no to the chips you see for sale on ebay....the rpm and top speed limiters are there for a reason, they protect people from their own stupidity. If you wanna void your warrantee (and you definitely will if you install one of these bad boys) and have a higher chance of really messing up the engine and your car, then go ahead but I highly recommend to stay away from things that sound too good to be true. Our limiter is at 127 mph....why in the world would you wanna go faster than that on the street? As far as I know, the creativecompacts cat back exhaust with the magnaflow dynoed an additional 12 hp, but I have not seen the dyno sheets, so I can't back up their claim. It depends on what you want to upgrade on your car...is it handling, acceleration, pimpin good looks.... It also depends on how much $ you're willing to spend on upgrades.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I bet the top speed limiter is there because of the crappy OEM tires. Rev limiters are for your own good (for the most part). You'd need a reflash of the ECM to change any of this stuff though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While we are on the waranty topic, does any of the following things void my waranty:
If I do my own work and put an injen intake on the car.
If I do my own work and put a new exhaust system on the car.

will these two items void the waranty of the car?

Also it sounds like any add on chips void the waranty, correct me if I am wrong. If this is the case I will NOT take the chance.

thanks

Adam

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You can't chip a Toyco ECM. It doesn't work with a memory chip like the domestic crowd. They use flash memory, and you have to be able to write to flash with either the Toyco tool or a specific aftermarket tool. It costs about $8k before the Import module you need for Toyco. Anybody saying they chip this ECM is a liar.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No, but I can rebuild the engine from boxes of parts too. It all depends. No one here has posted anything about changing the pulleys on the 2AZ.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Not necessarily.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Almost. 2AZ is the block. 2AZ-FE is the block and head.

Toyota engine families are all known by their two or three character designations.

4AG - MR2, GTS Corolla, Formula Atlantic engines. All 1600cc fours

5MG - the original (MkII) Supra 6 cylinder engine

7MG - the MkIII Supra 6 cylinder engine

3SG - MkII MR2, GT Four (All-Trac) Celica, JGTC engine

2JZ - MkIV Supra, Lexus GS300 and IS300, industrial forklifts 6 cylinder.

2AZ - Our tC, Camry, RAV4

There are quite a few others, but these are some of the better known ones (besides the 22R and a few older ones) in the performance world.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
"What about exhaust, I saw that video that someone posted and the exhaust sounded great. But im not wasting 500 bucks to get a sound, so how much performance boost do you get from a setup like that? I think the product was Catback Aluminized Exhaust Kit with a magnaflow from creativecompacts.com"

That was my video.... Creative Compacts has a dyno sheet showing a 12hp gain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.