Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ive been looking around and have finally decided what to get! Kicker has release a brande new subwoofer and it has amazing power. The new Kicker CompVX Series come in a 10", 12", and a 15"!!! The specs are

10"
Total Watts: 1200
RMS: 600

12"
Total Watts: 1500
RMS: 750

15"
Total Watts: 2000
RMS: 1000

The new subs are a circular sub and are suppose to take place or be as good if not better then the L7!

I think i will be order a 10" for now and then ordering a 12" with a new amp.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I would be curious about the reliability of new kicker stuff. The L5's when they originally came around were defective as hell!!! The specs seem OK, however the COMP VRs were never anything amazing. I have not been a fan of Kicker ever since they went away from the original round solo barics. Their products just dont have a clean sound anymore.

-Ed

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Comp VX isn't really anything more than a relabeled Comp VR. The only subs I've ever had were kicker and they do make good products. I have a set of Impulse 12's in a 87' cavalier wagon (stop laughing) and thet did pretty good. Then I went with a set of Comp VR's in my altima and I loved them. They pounded with just a little 50 watt Rockford. Now I have a set of SOLO Baric L5's with a RF 360a2 and I can barely control them. The SOLO's I have are about 3 1/2years old but only been in for a little over a year. I haven't had any problems out of them at all. When you get everything tuned right they sound pretty good. The reason some people had trouble with the L5's and L7's id because the subs require a break in. Most people don't read the instruction so they wouldn't know that. The SOLO's will not perform correctly if they aren't broken in.

As far as a Comp comparing to a SOLO Baric.......i doubt it. The new solo baric (square) subs move more air per square inch that any other sub on the market today. An L5 or L7 12 will move just as much air as a round 15. So you can be the judge on that one. The Comp VX isn't a bad choice it's just not a Solo Baric.

Now I do agree with Eddie that Kickers quality has gone down in some of their products. Mainly since they went "Commercial" and started selling in Best Buy and Circuit City. The only company that hasn't really lost any quality is Alpine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I had an L5 10" and hated it, sounded like complete sh!t, but that my opinion. I had the Comp VR's loved that sound of those, and I know I will prob. love the Comp VX's because there is a lot more power behind them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you don't get the enclosure exactly right with a solo baric they will sound like $hit. When you build a box they actually say you should call to get the deminsions. I took a week designing the box for mine. The Comp's are MUCH easier to deal with and aren't a picky as the solo baric's. I loved my Comp VR's to and my brother actually still has them in his car right now. lol The only reason i got the L5's is bescause they were brand new in the box for $300. I couldn't pass that up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Originally posted by josh_trdsparks@Feb 15 2006, 06:36 AM
The new solo baric (square) subs move more air per square inch that any other sub on the market today.
This is not accurate. Output is about displacement. Displacement is a factor of cone area AND linear excursion.
Based upon published specs, the 12" L7 has an Sd of 144 sq in.
The 12W7 has an Sd of 84 sq in. The L7 is the clear winner in cone area. If I wanted output the choice should be obvious. If you only look at one part of the picture you will get the wrong impression. If you look at the Xmax specs, you get a more complete picture.
The published Xmax spec for the L7 is .56" and the 12W7 is 1.15". When you factor both, you will find that the 12W7 has 20% greater displacement than the L7 (the 12W7 moves more air) and the 12W7 has a smaller footprint.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Originally posted by simplespirit+Feb 15 2006, 01:02 PM-->QUOTE (simplespirit @ Feb 15 2006, 01:02 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-josh_trdsparks
@Feb 15 2006, 06:36 AM
The only company that hasn't really lost any quality is Alpine.
Did you mean the only commercial company? I could name plenty of lesser-known higher quality companies but you can't pick them up @ your local electronics store. [/b]
I meant out of the companies that went "commercial". Like when Rockford started selling in Best Buy their quality went way down. They have gotten alot better since DEI bought them out .

·
Registered
274 Posts
Originally posted by JLTD+Feb 15 2006, 01:06 PM-->QUOTE (JLTD @ Feb 15 2006, 01:06 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-josh_trdsparks
@Feb 15 2006, 06:36 AM
The new solo baric (square) subs move more air per square inch that any other sub on the market today.
This is not accurate. Output is about displacement. Displacement is a factor of cone area AND linear excursion.
Based upon published specs, the 12" L7 has an Sd of 144 sq in.
The 12W7 has an Sd of 84 sq in. The L7 is the clear winner in cone area. If I wanted output the choice should be obvious. If you only look at one part of the picture you will get the wrong impression. If you look at the Xmax specs, you get a more complete picture.
The published Xmax spec for the L7 is .56" and the 12W7 is 1.15". When you factor both, you will find that the 12W7 has 20% greater displacement than the L7 (the 12W7 moves more air) and the 12W7 has a smaller footprint. [/b]
This is true. I did forget about that. BUT I hate JL audio with a passion. I have never heard a JL sub that sounded good. This may be my opinion but they do not reproduce sound good if at all. Now their amps and components are pretty good. The amps have great control for SQ. I just hate their subs. When I do comparisons I don't even factor in JL. Not bashing your set up they just not for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.