Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It's the wrong engine for that. The stroke is too long to spin it up, and that's how you make hp with small displacement engines. Even if you are successful, the power will be unpleasant for street use. Forced induction is a way better way to do this.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Why don't you just get the scionspeed turbo? You were considering throwing your warranty and probably legality out the window with the N/A thing anyway......

I see you're in auburn...get the turbo and let me drive it

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Buy a spare engine with intake and exhaust. Modify the hell out of either the one you bought or the one in the car. Swap engines at smog time.

Better yet, move up the hill to Nevada. You can do anything you want there.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ a 2.4 from the junkyard sounds like a great place to start for an engine build.

·
Registered
147 Posts
think about all the customized parts you have to have some else bulid for that kind of project, most of the parts you'd need aren't even in production right now. A turbo is the way to go, unless your on a budget than nitrious would be the best hp to dollar ratio.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Apr 8 2005, 10:34 AM
^^^ a 2.4 from the junkyard sounds like a great place to start for an engine build.
That's been my thought for some time now. I'm just invested in other stuff right now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer+Apr 9 2005, 03:37 PM-->QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Apr 9 2005, 03:37 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-inevitablegod
@Apr 8 2005, 10:34 AM
That's been my thought for some time now. I'm just invested in other stuff right now. [/b]
I have a question for Lance. I've read a few hundred posts and you seem to be pretty knowledgeable.

I just sold my 03 Matrix XRS with a few mods and purchased an 05 tC. My thought was that you can simply do more with the Scion...and it seemed to be a car that just asked to be modified. I don't know much about engines, but the compression is lower than the XRS (which I see as a better fit for turbo?). Plus, it is a 2.4 with only 165 hp, vice a 1.8 pushing 180. I really liked the fact that there are/will be a few turbos that you can add to it.

My goal? Is to make it around 250 - 280 hp without sacrificing ride quality. I don't really want nitrous, but a turbo would be great! I love the sound too.

ARe there many turbo's out yet? Is a turbo, say the stage 2 from scionspeed with the intercooler, pretty safe for long-term engine reliability?

Im a father of three and 31 years old...not looking to go nuts, but I really see potential with this car. Am I right on any of this?

Would love your opinions..or any others

MartytC

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
If you are willing to commit to running premium fuel exclusively, your reliability will be pretty much the same as any turbocharged engine. Toyota builds very tough engines, and they are typically much stronger than they need to be. I would not worry about the engine with a turbo at Scionspeed's stage 2.

I would be concerned about the clutch, and I would be concerned about the transmission. I'd be sure to run a good synthetic oil all the time and err on the side of frequent for oil changes, but nothing I don't do for my Supra.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.