Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...

So I picked up my NB M/T on Saturday (it had about 20 miles on it), then drove it about 110 miles home.

Then I drove it around the San Francisco Bay area a bunch the next day, winding up with 320 miles on it a day and a half after I picked it up.

Now I just broke 400 miles last night. It's got bugs and stuff on it, naturally.

I didn't go for the paint-sealant/ToyotaGuard/whatever thing that they offered at the dealership. I cleaned the windshield with the stuff at the gas station, and the water totally didn't bead or sheet off the body panels, so I've got silly water spots there now.

So then I read up on all the stuff you can go crazy with in taking care of your paint: washing, cleaning, clay-barring, polishing, waxing, sealing....

...Now, with my head spinning, I'm thinking my car doesn't have a wax coating on it *or* this sealant dealio...

But, minimally, I figure I should get the bugs off and a wax coating (so water beads and rolls off, for one thing).

Am I right about that? Is that good enough to start? And a "sealant" on top of that if the place does that?

Augh, frozen with too much info!

· Registered
1,860 Posts
yeah definitely wax your car first thing cause your paint will chip easily without some protection I wax my tc almost every time I wash it and its never gotten a rock chip yet since, I would highly extremely highly recommend it.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
The factory finish is baked. There is no need to wait. Do it now. You have to wait on a repair because they can't bake the finish on the way they can at the factory.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Lance rules. He knows all. Kneel before the awesome power that is Lo Bux Racer.

· Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by shadowhawk@Jul 13 2005, 11:27 AM
OK...

So I picked up my NB M/T on Saturday (it had about 20 miles on it), then drove it about 110 miles home.

Then I drove it around the San Francisco Bay area a bunch the next day, winding up with 320 miles on it a day and a half after I picked it up.

Now I just broke 400 miles last night. It's got bugs and stuff on it, naturally.

I didn't go for the paint-sealant/ToyotaGuard/whatever thing that they offered at the dealership. I cleaned the windshield with the stuff at the gas station, and the water totally didn't bead or sheet off the body panels, so I've got silly water spots there now.

So then I read up on all the stuff you can go crazy with in taking care of your paint: washing, cleaning, clay-barring, polishing, waxing, sealing....

...Now, with my head spinning, I'm thinking my car doesn't have a wax coating on it *or* this sealant dealio...

But, minimally, I figure I should get the bugs off and a wax coating (so water beads and rolls off, for one thing).

Am I right about that? Is that good enough to start? And a "sealant" on top of that if the place does that?

Augh, frozen with too much info!
Wow, I know it's harsh to say this now but seriously I think the sealant is a MUST. My last car I didn't get it on and the paint just doesn't hold up for #### after 3-4 years... definitely any car I buy from here on out will have sealant. I've had my car about a week and a half and it's rained almost everyday and she still looks like I just drove her off the lot!

· Registered
21 Posts
Instead of waiting for a response, I took it out and had it washed and waxed today. Don't know the brand, but the local hand wash says they use Carnuba wax. I'm happy with the results - looks great. I know carnuba wax doesn't hold up as long, so if I continue this treatment every month or so, am I good?

· Registered
4,327 Posts
Originally posted by redwine+Aug 15 2005, 04:55 PM-->QUOTE (redwine @ Aug 15 2005, 04:55 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-phungy
@Aug 15 2005, 12:53 PM
So me waxing it everytime I wash it which is every week is excessive huh? Damn...I'm too obsessed.
So much energy! How about waxin' an AP for a change? [/b]
Heh, well if you're in Gainesville sure. I just can't stand my car being dirty which makes me wash/wax it almost every week.

· Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Aug 15 2005, 05:36 AM
You don't have to wax every month. I would say 3 times a year should be plenty. Most people do it twice a year. As long as you have some treatment on there and apply it on regular intervals you should be fine.
Even with Carnuba? I hear it breaks down quickly. I live in Southern California, so the car does spend time in high (90 degrees +) heat and direct sun light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.