Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Let me first say that this site has been very helpful in my decision to purchase a tC. I have been floating around reading posts for a couple of weeks and after much deliberation, I have decided the tC is the vehicle I want as a daily driver. (my jeep is too big and drinks gas too heavily to fulfill the commuter role i will need a vehicle for here soon)

my question is this.

There is an RS 1.0 sitting on the local lot and it is beautiful. BUT it is an automatic.
I am not generally one to purchase a sport compact without a manual transmission and the only reason I pose this question is A)it's an rs1 and B)scion auto's are rated higher mpg.

SO..which would you do? Get the RS 1.0 in the auto. Or order/obtain from another lot a regular produtcion tC with no options in a 5 spd. Difference in price is in the ~$3000 range.

This car will be driven ~100-150 miles 5 days a week, but will also serve as my fun-lil-pocket-rocket car.

I'm a performance nut so the vehicle will likely get the I/E and maybe even a turbo after the warranty goes....i previously daily drove a turbo'd 2.0 jetta.

so what say ye?

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
So what's the question? You like to drive - get a 5-speed. Btw, higher mileage estimates are not really 100% true. I have a 5-speed and I did get over 30mpg on 200 mile trips on several occasions. Most of my driving is 2 miles to work with couple of red lights and stop signs, or just around town - lifetime average 25.5 mpg and I don't baby the car.

But don't listen to me. The only reason I bought the tC is because I like it's 5-speed and I could not wait to get out of my automatic car before it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. my question boiled down to nothing is this....is the rs 1 a nice enough car to justify taking the slushbox hit instead of a 5spd?

do the auto's have severely dampered performance compared to the 5 spd?

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Autos are nice and quick, but you will get bored fast. Order an RS1.0 5-speed if you like the color so much, oh, and save yourself $700...

If it was a autoshift 5A, or a CVT, or something a little sportier than classic toyota slushbox - it might have been different, but it's none of these.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. i will likely go with the base model 5 spd since it would be several thousand cheaper. really the only reason i would get the rs 1 is due to it being THERE--NOW. lol impatient as all get out but if i have to order a vehicle i'd go ahead and get a base 5spd and use the extra few grand to do things that would be useful...like suspension, tires, and some decent performance bolt ons.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
For extra $2K you can make your car way more unique than a factory-made "special" edition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i wouldnt be getting the rs1 to be elite...or ANY car to be elite for that matter. that's absurd. i'd get it because it is readily available and has some decent lil goodies on it...i'd ditch the wheels though, never liked enkei's.

BUT as zoltiz has slapped me back into reality that i am a driver not a rider, i will get the 5spd and build it my way.
thanks guys.

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
i wouldnt trade my 5 speed for an automatic no matter how "limited" it was.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
I probably don't have to post in this thread any more, but I will one more time - tC 5-speed is one of the funnest manuals I've driven. Short gears rock for the way I drive.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@May 5 2005, 08:15 PM
i wouldnt trade my 5 speed for an automatic no matter how "limited" it was.
what he said.

·
Registered
543 Posts
^^^i also agree. can't stand the car thinking it's smarter than i am. i've never driven a tc auto though so i don't know how different it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.