1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's article from Edmunds.com 8/12

WHISPERS: Toyota Planning New 250-hp Scion tC
Date Posted 08-11-2005

TOKYO — The grapevine in Japan is whispering about a hot, new 250-horsepower pure sport coupe from Toyota, coming next year, which would also double as a new Celica in Japan.

Japan's moles say they've uncovered secret plans for a new pure sport coupe from Toyota, apparently based around the Scion tC. The unnamed model, due in 2006, has 2.4-liter power, like the tC, yet is good for a reputed 250 horsepower.

Toyota is aiming at Honda's stellar Integra Type R (the more exotic, faster version of America's Acura RSX). And the idea would also be to inject some extra speed and enthusiast muscle into the tC.

America will soon bid farewell to the Celica, so this new 250-hp sport coupe would be a welcome replacement. Across in Japan, the talk is Toyota would rebadge it as the eighth-generation Celica.

While the Celica as we know it is 1.8-liter, the story goes that this new model would jump up to a special high-performance 2.0-liter motor, which may be called 2AZ-GE.

What this means to you: Biggest problem with Scion? No power. Thus, this super tC sounds super-cool; let's hope it makes it into the showrooms here.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Originally posted by f1jay@Aug 11 2005, 07:35 PM
The unnamed model, due in 2006, has 2.4-liter power, like the tC, yet is good for a reputed 250 horsepower.

While the Celica as we know it is 1.8-liter, the story goes that this new model would jump up to a special high-performance 2.0-liter motor, which may be called 2AZ-GE.
Okay I'm alittle confused. First it states that it 'has 2.4-liter power' but then says that 'the story goes that this new model would jump up to a special high-performance 2.0-liter motor '

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
yeah, i seriously cannot even begin to hint at being able to confirm that one. if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
How are they gonna get 250 out of the 2AZ-FE? Sounds to me like they would need a blower...

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Undoubtedly. There's no way to get that NA without some dramatic changes to the basic configuration.

Maybe that's why they said 2 liters. They're going to shorten the stroke and make it spin.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds good on paper that 250 hp but whats gonna be the price if u go to high it strays from the scion ideal

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Aug 12 2005, 09:20 AM
Maybe that's why they said 2 liters. They're going to shorten the stroke and make it spin.
yeah, no doubt. i think you and i had a conversation about de-stroking the 2.4 to a 2.2 - what kind of redline would you expect to see in a NA 250 pony 2.0L ?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
so does that mean we now own a celica? i see lots of people buying new badges in the future.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by hamster@Aug 13 2005, 09:57 PM
so does that mean we now own a celica? i see lots of people buying new badges in the future.
I'll let someone call the tC a Celica when it has AWD and forced induction. For now, it's still the tC.

-Ed

·
Registered
47 Posts
WHISPERS: Toyota Planning New 250-hp Scion tC

Date Posted 08-11-2005

TOKYO — The grapevine in Japan is whispering about a hot, new 250-horsepower pure sport coupe from Toyota, coming next year, which would also double as a new Celica in Japan.

Japan's moles say they've uncovered secret plans for a new pure sport coupe from Toyota, apparently based around the Scion tC. The unnamed model, due in 2006, has 2.4-liter power, like the tC, yet is good for a reputed 250 horsepower.

Toyota is aiming at Honda's stellar Integra Type R (the more exotic, faster version of America's Acura RSX). And the idea would also be to inject some extra speed and enthusiast muscle into the tC.

America will soon bid farewell to the Celica, so this new 250-hp sport coupe would be a welcome replacement. Across in Japan, the talk is Toyota would rebadge it as the eighth-generation Celica.

What this means to you: Biggest problem with Scion? No power. Thus, this super tC sounds super-cool; let's hope it makes it into the showrooms here.[/b]
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106827

Maybe the mods might want to eventually move this to the rumors section because Toyota hasn't confirmed it but I thought this was so good it should be in the General Tc Forum at least at first.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.