Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Tread wear between brands is meaningless. There is no government standard tire, so the wear ratings are only useful for other Pirellis. A 400 Pirelli might be a 160 in a Michelin.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You better hope they don't rub.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It's not the width, it's the diameter. 235/40/18s are quite a bit bigger in diameter than 245/40/17s. The tires you ordered are almost an inch taller than the OEM tires, so they will be 1/2" closer to rubbing than the OEM set up. On full compression of the suspension, it may rub. It also might not, but that's a big difference. Hope for the best.

Also, your speedo may be off. You will be going 3% faster than your speedo indicates if it was accurate from the factory. If it started 3% slow as many do, you'll be OK for indication.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the tire rack left me an e-mail saying thats a large tire for the tC and they will call tomaorw to confirm that's what i wanted. What size should I get that will fit that rim and buldge out a little to protect the rims? I guess im getting a second chance so I better not mess this up. What size do you suggest lance

·
Registered
742 Posts
You should of gone with a 225/40/18, 245 is to wide for proper support on an 8" wide wheel, not terribly wide but not the best for handling.

And the 245/35/18 may still be to tall, normally it would be.

Rick

·
Registered
742 Posts
A word of advice, a topic headed "Somebody Help" is not going to get as good a response as one that asks what you are requesting. It sounds more like a distress call, picking tires is not a distress situation, people respond to such things differently than your intended desire;)

Next time ask what you wish to know, it will help you get the help you want:)

Rick

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Over the last day I have had to deal with alot of stress and don't really care what you think of my post. Anyways I went over this with tire rack over the phone and they told me It would be fine and should not experience any negitive handling problems. One reason I went with a larger size is to protect the rims and still be reliable. 245/50/18 is still the correct diamator for that car and with a thick sidewall and more road contact I only see an improvment in grip. The bfg geforce t/a kdw2 is a great tire all around.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
245/35/18 is functionally the same diameter as 245/40/17 which is also the same at 215/45/17. You'll be fine. I'm glad The Tire Rack put up a red flag on that size, I think you would have been disappointed.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Mosquito Ridge on a Sunday afternoon out to French Meadows Reservoir. Beats the crap out of 49. 49 has too many lookyloos and RVs. Don't get me wrong, it's a hella fun drive, but it's really hard to get it all to yourself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.