Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI *waves* I'm new to the site and this blows balls that my first post is me sick to my stomach over what happened to my precious baby yesterday. *sniffles*

So I was driving down the hwy and low and behold a f***ing rock/pebble came from someones car/truck and hit my windsheild and put a nice star shaped crack on the lower right side. You gotta be kidding me that these windshields are this weak....I'm so nausous. If I would have known where that rock came from I would of chased them down to get insurance info....especially if it was a gravel truck...and to make things worse I didn't purchase the windshield/glass ins that the dealer offered when I got the car. grrrrrrrrrr

I waited a whole two weeks for her and got her on the 19th of March, then this crap happens. Haven't even driven her for a damn week. I'm such a girlie girl when it comes to the cosmetic apperance of my car.

Srry I haven't posted any pics of the car, like if you all haven't seen enough of the super white stock tc...teehee.

pics of the crack

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Sorry to hear about that but i don't think its a matter of the windshield being any weaker than any other car's. Welcome to the site, too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeeup, that totally sucks. Hmmmm.... windshield replacement is free of charge in the state of Massachusetts... not even a deductible to pay - I didn't realize it was different in other states. Now that I know that, i'm glad I live here cuz I've had to replace at least 1 windshield on every car i've owned.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
lame. hope your ride is back to normal soon. and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
63 Posts
things happen like this if you frequently drive on the highway.. it sucks i know but i guess thats life.. best thing i can tell you is to not follow any semi's and dont follow to close to any cars in general...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Plissken@Mar 25 2005, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear about that but i don't think its a matter of the windshield being any weaker than any other car's. Welcome to the site, too.
Thanks Phlissken...

The only reason I was impling about the windsheild possiably being weak, have a friend who works for Progressive, shes an adjuster for the "glass" department. She tells me all the gossip over there and apparently the VW bettle gets the most claims for windsheild cracks and whathaveyous......I just hope that's not the case with the TC's....

The state of Mass rawks for that....I wish Texas took care of us like that...especially here in Austin, craploads of construction going on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holy hell I wish I had the road to myself...teeehee Austin, TX has so much dayum traffic its not even funny. Believe me I try to stay as far away from other cars as I can...especially now....*sniffles*

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
no doubt, I pulled up behind a truck last night and got riddled with little pebbles. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the results. no chipped glass though.

welcome to the site, good luck with glass repair. (sorry, you need to get that done)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Odd, cause I smacked a full grown hawk at 70mph and it didn't do anything to the glass cept make a smear. Scared the hell out of me though.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
^^^ The difference between hitting a large bird and rock is the area to which the pressure is applied. It the same reason a blunt object will not cut you nearly as easily as a sharp knife's tip.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Originally posted by krzy@Mar 25 2005, 05:18 PM
Odd, cause I smacked a full grown hawk at 70mph and it didn't do anything to the glass cept make a smear.  Scared the hell out of me though.
lol hell naw..sorry i guess that was kinda funny at first...but not really

.welcome to the site... im sorry about your windshield, that sux.

So do you have pix of it..or u just post in the wrong section?? just askin

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
That doesn't look too terrible. You might be able to just get that fixed really cheap, without having to replace the whole windshield. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
dont feel bad about not catching the truck. In most states the person who sent the rock flying is not responsible after it hits the ground the first time. and unless you had video you would have a hard time proving it did not.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
my dad's windshield got cracked (sequoia) and he got it replaced for free because its considered a hazard according to state farm. btw i live in FL incase you were wondering.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by akpilot1@Mar 26 2005, 11:46 PM
dont feel bad about not catching the truck. In most states the person who sent the rock flying is not responsible after it hits the ground the first time. and unless you had video you would have a hard time proving it did not.
Um, yea, I'd be interested to know where you got that from. Just because the trucks all say, "Not responsible for objects coming from road" doesn't mean they're not responsible for something they drop on your car or something their tires kick up.

P.S. I think that you folks talking about "free windshields" may not understand the difference between "free" and "insurance claim."

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I got this from AudiWorld Forums:

Recently, there have been lots of posts about cracks in windshields.

This again prompts me to mention the possibility of free repairs by your insurance company.

Most insurance carriers have figured out that repairing a windshield is cheaper than replacing it, so they will offer free repairs (no deductible, no cost) for small cracks or chips.

Here is how it works with the companies that I am familiar with (USAA, State Farm, GEICO, AAA). You inform your insurance company of your damage and they will give you a lisat of places where you can have the damage evaluated. If the windshield place determines that the damage can be repaired, they will fix it for you. The repair takes about an hour and will only be obvious to you (you will always know where each chip, scratch or blemish is on your car - regardless of how well it was fixed.

Most windshield repair places also guarantee that if the crack spreads, that they will replace your windshield free.

There is no downside from trying the free fix. It is much better than trying to do it yourself with those "bullseye" repair kits.....[/b]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.