Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bit of a scare today on my way home from work. While traveling on I-95 on my way home a sheet of plywood flew out of the pickup truck in front of me and flew into my front bumper. It actually sliced through the bumper jammed in pretty far. It took a good amount of force to yank it out. I was going 70mph. If that plywood made it above my hood, I think it could of sliced through the windshield and might have cut my head off, or at least gave me a convertable.

The plywood was lodged in the bumper about 4 inches, and facing on a downward angle and was scraping on the road. It smelled like burning wood so I had to pull over right away before it caught on fire. I lost the cover plate to the tow hook so now there is a nice hole in the front of my bumper. It's a good thing I didn't get fogs, because they would have been totally destroyed. That mesh piece was crushed and is now gone too.

I guess my insurance company won't cover it. Maybe under my comprehensive policy? Which has a $500 deductible. I already made a claim in October for hurricane wilma damage. I am not sure if they will allow me to make another claim. I do have Geico, maybe the gecko and help me out.

Brian Weber
2006 Flint Mica tC

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Well, since it was cargo off the other vehicle that caused this damage, I'd call it a hit and run, and file it under UMI. If not - then it's comprehensive. Either will not cause the insurance to jump too much.

New bumper cover is around $200, paint - another $200-400, grille insert - as around, somebody might sell you one. If that's all that damaged, I'd just buy a bumper cover and looked for a shop that can paint it on a budget, then put everything back together myself - might end up with an under $500 bill total.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welp, I ran the air today and I wasn't getting any cold air. Looked under the bumper and saw the radiator bent and pushed back. A co-worker also said the evaporator was damantged. My car is not overheating which is good. No leaks that I can see.

I called geico and they filed it under comprehensive.

I go next thursday to see an adjuster to get an estimate.

My co-workers are guessing around $2,000 for the repairs.

I have never had so much bad luck with a car before. Was very difficult to get and now my second time in the shop for body work, none of which was my fault.

Oh well, it will be like new again.

Since the mesh part under the bumper is destroyed, I might tell the body shop to install the factory fogs for me on the new bumper.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
yea mine was about that same and different people are placing blame on each other I hit a contruction cone doing about 65 and its been two months and I have heard some thing but its just more paper switching hands..

but I know it will all be taken care of

my repairs are $1000 even

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just fixed my rear bumper from a hit and run. it sucked but now she's all better after $575. (500 which was my deductable
) Good luck getting everything replaced and looking brand new again

·
Registered
268 Posts
i have a stock silver streak mica front bumper thats still brand new ill sell you. i got a extra one when i went turbo so i can cut one for my front mount intercooler (just in case i messed up) well i didnt so i have a extra one. ill sell it to you for $150+ shipping if you want

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.