Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, obviously im gonna get stronger more positive opinions on the tC being a forum for it and all but i need help. i do not own a tC and i think they are great cars so far but i have heard some things that need to be cleared up or explained to me.. when i do get this tC i am looking to put the supercharger in it and mod it a little.. exhaust, intake, suspension, rims, tires, and as far as the interior just put a nice sound system in it..
i need to kno tho..
1. what is with the sound, alotta ppl say tat it is a scratchy sounding car
2. how easily it is to mod?
3. if it can be used to race (or would i jus get embarassed)
4. if there is any worries bout the engine or such
5. and how the trunk space is. haha. i play hockey so it would have to fit my hockey bag and sticks with a little more room..
....other than tat please list some things to watch out for or some negatives about the car..
thanks guys.

larry.

ps- please post the pic of ur tC if you can

· Registered
1,373 Posts
1. The tC engine is rather noisy compared to most new cars. I don't have any explanation for this, myself.
2. Easy to mod, I suppose. I guess it depends what you're modding.
3. If you want to race, the tC is probably not your best bet.
4. It's a Toyota. 'Nuff said.
5. Trunk space is minimal, but the rear seats fold flat and give you quite a bit of room. I can fit my guitar and amp in there without folding the rear seats. Hockey stick, you might have to fold them down, but shouldn't have any trouble.

Negatives... hrmmm! For the price, the tC's negatives are pretty much neutralized. It's about the best you can do for the money in my opinion.

EDIT: You can find *plenty* of pictures in the Member's Pics area of the Images forum.

· Registered
142 Posts
3. If you plan on racing lightly modded cars in the same segment as the tC then you won't be embarrased.
5. My brother can fit his hockey bag in the trunk without folding the rear seats down but there isn't enough room for his stick so he puts it in the rear seat

· Registered
1,373 Posts
I guess it's also mentionable that there are a plethora of aftermarket parts for the tC. They seem to multiply exponentially every couple of months. Pretty much anything you have in mind is doable or soon will be.

Check out TRD Sparks for official TRD parts and stuff from a few other companies. Creative Compacts, North American Motorsports, and Racing Solution all sell aftermarket parts as well, just to name a few that have a presence here on our boards (sorry if I forgot anyone!).

I was actually in the market for a 4x4 pickup before I made a 180 and went with the tC. I guess it was just an instinctual thing and I knew I had to have one. I haven't regretted it, nor do I ever think I will. Just go with your gut and don't lie to yourself. If you're unsure about what you want (maybe you have another car in mind also?), take some time, do the research, and make sure you're really getting what's right for you. I was intermittently shopping for vehicles over the course of about a year and half before I finally went and bought my tC. Just something to think about.

Use the search function and I'm sure you can find out anything you want to know about the tC. And, I forgot to mention it earlier... welcome to the YSTC forums.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
1. The car is a bit raspy when stock. Add an aftermarket exhaust and it will have a nice deep tone for a four banger.

2. As far as it being easy to mod. Well it is way easier to find parts for the tC rather than my old 86 'rolla (AE82 not AE86<---the cool one). It is really easy to do most basic maintenance on. As far as the other stuff it really just depends on your skill/experience level.

3. What type of racing do you want to do? Like buiboy said, in a street class with other lightly modded cars, the tC can hold its own. I'll put it this way the tC is a quick daily driver kinda car. It was not built to be a fire breathing track demon (although a few people on this site are building just that quite successfully). The tC was built to be a fun car that you can live with every day. It runs on 87 octane, unless you have the supercharger then it is 91+. It handles very well for having a pretty comfortable ride, but you need to burn the stock tires immeadiately after purchasing the car, the stockers are rubbish. The car is not an all out hot hatch, but it will be able to put a smile on your face when you drop it into third smash the gas and let it rev to 6000.

4. The 2AZ-FE (I think i got the engine code right, if not flame me) is in the Rav4, Highlander, Camry, Solara and the Avensis. So it is a pretty bullet proof power plant. If you are running a lot of boost, you need to be careful about snapping axles. They don't hande low end torque well. If you just get the TRD supercharger the powerband was tuned so that when in first and second gear the stock axles do not get a lot of low end torque. Ask lo bux racer or inevitablegod to elaborate on this point. They know far more than I.

5. Trunk space kinda sucks for a hatchback/liftback/whatever. Rear seats fold so you can fit a ton of crap back there. But your stuff is visible. My suggestion is to bring your hockey gear to a dealership and test it out.

Other negatives, the paint is a little soft, get a clear bra our keep a nice layer of wax on it at all times. The A pillar is really big so it creates a blindspot while making sweeping lefthand turns. The rearview mirror is a little low if you are tall. That also cuts down on visibility. I find those things minor inconvienences. The car is a lot of fun and it looks killer. Plus the ladies like it. Which reminds me of a really big positive. The rear seats recline and the front seats recline all the way back to make a nice bed

he are some pics of my car.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aright guys thanks for the info and kurker nice tC.. i like.. but i need to kno right now, straight up how fast can i get a tC wit a supercharger, intake/exhaust or w/e else witout makin it like a racecar.. someone please answer tat question.. would i be better off gettin a 2000-2001 audi a4 or bmw 3series.. i like the tC tho but i want to kno if it can hall a** or not with one... someone tell me tat please..
thanks.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
The tC's top speed is electronically capped at 126mph (I think). I'm sure it could go beyond that with modifications if it weren't for the chip.

If you're talking about acceleration.... I dunno. You could go all out and make a 10 second car if you wanted, but truthfully, what's the point in a $17k ride? The tC is a daily driver for most people. If you want a race car, you should probably look elsewhere.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Originally posted by tC_driver1@Feb 20 2006, 11:31 PM
aright guys thanks for the info and kurker nice tC.. i like.. but i need to kno right now, straight up how fast can i get a tC wit a supercharger, intake/exhaust or w/e else witout makin it like a racecar.. someone please answer tat question.. would i be better off gettin a 2000-2001 audi a4 or bmw 3series.. i like the tC tho but i want to kno if it can hall a** or not with one... someone tell me tat please..
thanks.
A supercharged tC is pretty quick. As much as I love Audi's styling their reliability is crap, blame VW. I would lean towards the 3 series, but with those cars comes the expense of running them. BMW parts cost A LOT more than generic 2AZ-FE Toyota parts.

Again the tC is not a fast car, it is a mild daily driver that can be driven fast. If speed is your main goal, but a 'vette or be cool and buy an Ariel Atom

Edit- Thanks for the kind words James. You rock.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aright well ive heard some good n bad (wat i wanta hear) and i basically got tat tCs is not a fast car but has pickup and gets around.. i also heard tat the supercharger is crap and the turbocharger is the way to go? am i right, wrong? idk tats y i have u guys hah.. and i got a 2000 audi a4 comin for 9k so its not like a 20k car.. would i be better goin towards an older 3000GT or a eclipse gsx turbo? watd u guys think..

btw Plissken asked how old i am.. im 17

thanks guys.

larry.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Originally posted by tC_driver1@Feb 21 2006, 04:59 PM
i also heard tat the supercharger is crap and the turbocharger is the way to go? am i right, wrong?
The supercharger is 3000 dollars for 40 REAL Toyota Warantied horsepower. It will not destroy your dive axles, unlike a bolt on turbo kit. No turbo kit has properly addressed fuel or engine management yet to create reliable daily driven horsepower. Others may have a different opinion than I regarding the TRD Supercharger vs. Turbo issue, but this is where I stand. And that is why I am saving my hard earned American dollars for the supercharger.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
^^^ kurker knows what's up.

You can go the trubo route, but plan on spending a lot of money to make it work properly and reliably without destroying your engine.

· ex-06'er
1,116 Posts
Wish I could afford a supercharger...wish they had one for an auto. (They are coming out with one eventually, I think I heard?)

Anyway.. as for trunk space.. don't worry, there's plenty:

There's something like 10 cases of 2 gallon jugs of juice, 8 cases of handles of booze, 30 2 liters of soda, 6 300 packages of cups, TP, paper towels and random other assorted junk in there and it all fit with plenty of room to spare.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.