Scion tC Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So i need some advice/guidance from all you scion fanatics out there. I don't pretend to know more than any of you and I'm not afraid to admit that even though I've learned a lot about my tC and parts etc. that i still consider myself a noob to the world of automobiles and the technicalities behind it all.
-Seeing as a i have the CAI, Trd axle back exhaust, and unichip, Im wondering if getting a lightweight crank pulley is a mod worthy of purchasing. (i'd plan on doing the install myself just like all the other bolt ons/mods so far if possible)
Im not expecting my car to go 200mph after the crank pulley or anything, but im just worried about resulting in issues after getting an aftermarket crank pulley. (NST i hear isn't bad? maybe the 3piece set with alt and water pump?)

People say crank pulleys are garbage and will ruin your car but other people on this forum and other forums seem to swear by them and love them to death. Any testimonials on the crank pulleys? what do you guys think? is this a good idea or just something that will result in more problem than its worth down the road. my car has a little under 50,000 miles on it currently and runs well. Questions/comments/concerns?

·
AWD V8 KILLER!
6,400 Posts
Not worth the risk.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
comment coming from personal experience with pulley or from speculation and knowledge on cars/the internets?

But thank you AKtC, im glad to have anyones input on the matter, thats why i asked!
Thanks bud

·
AWD V8 KILLER!
6,400 Posts
I've personally known people who have had bad experiences and people who are very knowledgeable about tC's and their platforms agree as well. It's a really a hit or miss. Do I know of/have I heard of people running a pulley and being fine? Yes. But the chances of it throwing off your dampening and metal harmonics, and even eating through oil like a sonofabitch -- is the extra 2-3HP(?) worth it? The cons just kinda outweigh the pros to me. You could take your money and buy a new flywheel though. That would be a good investment. But honestly man, (and I know you've heard/seen it), save your money for a turbo kit. Even if you can run like a reliable 8-10 PSI, it'll still be an INSANE improvement that will probably make you fall in love with you tC all over again.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So i need some advice/guidance from all you scion fanatics out there. I don't pretend to know more than any of you and I'm not afraid to admit that even though I've learned a lot about my tC and parts etc. that i still consider myself a noob to the world of automobiles and the technicalities behind it all.
-Seeing as a i have the CAI, Trd axle back exhaust, and unichip, Im wondering if getting a lightweight crank pulley is a mod worthy of purchasing. (i'd plan on doing the install myself just like all the other bolt ons/mods so far if possible)
Im not expecting my car to go 200mph after the crank pulley or anything, but im just worried about resulting in issues after getting an aftermarket crank pulley. (NST i hear isn't bad? maybe the 3piece set with alt and water pump?)

People say crank pulleys are garbage and will ruin your car but other people on this forum and other forums seem to swear by them and love them to death. Any testimonials on the crank pulleys? what do you guys think? is this a good idea or just something that will result in more problem than its worth down the road. my car has a little under 50,000 miles on it currently and runs well. Questions/comments/concerns?
well when i bought my tc it had 59k mi on it, it came with a LW pulley and im now about to hit 70k, no problems so far and who knows how long the pulley was on it with the previous owner. ive heard bad things about them but maybe im the lucky one so far ( keeping fingers crossed) i love my pulley so far cause i drove a stock tc an you can deff feel the difference. for me its worth it until something goes wrong but thats just my 2 cents. and i kno other ppl are totally against it.

·
AWD V8 KILLER!
6,400 Posts
^There ya go.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Would it help at all to get the water pump and new alternator with the pulley? or is it just going to end badly regardless?

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
My 570WHP Time Attack tC has Stock pulleys for all except my crank in which I have an ATi Super Damper which is not some billet piece of SOLID aluminum and only costed 90 bucks. it costs 3 times that and does a better job then the stock one dampening the engine. You want to help your engine read up on removing your balance shafts, I did a write up on here a few years back on how to do it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
aright thanks blue. i looked into your write up and it all seems like something id be very interested in doing to my car, however i really dont think im mechanically inclined enough on that level to tackle that project. Ive never welded anything nor would i trust myself on that level type of stuff. Maybe ill ask around some friends of mine and see if i can get some help or something. But again, thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
After more hours of research and speaking with some friends that are more mechanically inclined than myself; I think Im going to go with a new flywheel instead. Do you guys have any preferred brands or anything i should know of before i purchase anything? the install doesn't seem to be out of my grasp and do you guys think I will actually notice any difference after the flywheel? again, any information on the subject matter is greatly appreciated as I still am a noob in the scion tc world. Please go easy on me fellas. Thanks

·
AWD V8 KILLER!
6,400 Posts
...You could take your money and buy a new flywheel though. That would be a good investment...
Boom.

I've got a ClutchMasters Flywheel. Has worked wonders for me. Look towards them, Exedy, Fidanza, ACT, etc.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Awesome. Thanks for all the info AKtC, i appreciate it.
how long should i assume the install to take? and will i need any special tools to make my life easier during the process? And do you think ill need to retune my chip for the new flywheel as well? (unichip)

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
8 hours (if your first time ever doing this and since it sounds like it is) install and all regular tools for it. since ur changeing the flywheel change the clutch

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
aright, well i suppose ill wait to do it until i have to get myself a new clutch. Blue i think you have the Unichip as well, do you know if Id have to get it retuned if i got a new flywheel installed?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Any particular reason blue? as in did you encounter any problems or issues with the unichip? or was it just time to move onto something better? did you overall like the unichip?

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
the unichip is very limited in its capabilities, and the people that can tune it is even more limited. plus there is no way a piggy back can control correctly and safely the power that I am making.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
So i ordered a tsudo header with S-pipe and CEL eliminator and it should be arriving in the mail soonish. Im pretty excited. If i were to buy a tsudo midpipe as well, does that go on the exhaust after the Cat, or does it replace the cat with a resonator? Im assuming the cat is right after the Spipe right?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts