Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the car audio shop where they tried, and failed, to mount my chosen amp (Soundstream Van Gogh 400.2) under the driver's seat. Due to my needs for the hatch area, the amp MUST be mounted there.

One of the installers did a bit of research and recommended an Audiobahn that is relatively small (1 7/8" height and about 7" length). What amps have other people successfully mounted under the seat? I have CDT 6 1/2's in the front that will probably need about 100Wx2 @4 ohms. No subwoofers to worry about.

-Steve-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
I know that in my Honda that I used to own before I got my beloved TC, I had a Lightning Audio Bolt amp that put out what you needed. It was a 4 channel amp and you can get them off of e-bay brand new for pretty inexpensively. It fit perfect underneath my passenger seat, which in reality would be better for you beacuse that is where the power wire will come to in your TC...that is if you have one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by goldenchild@Jan 9 2005, 04:29 PM
I know that in my Honda that I used to own before I got my beloved TC, I had a Lightning Audio Bolt amp that put out what you needed. It was a 4 channel amp and you can get them off of e-bay brand new for pretty inexpensively. It fit perfect underneath my passenger seat, which in reality would be better for you beacuse that is where the power wire will come to in your TC...that is if you have one.
I can't use the passenger seat, since I have the dealer-installed XM unit under there.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I much prefer the Audiobahn since it's smaller in all dimensions, and has a better signal to noise ratio. It is encouraging, because if the Lightning Audio amp fits, the Audiobahn will certainly fit.

-Steve-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Not sure why the dealer installed the tuner under the seat, I have my SIRUIS tuner behind the radio...but I digress.
I installed the e1400D under the driver seat. The link lists the physical dimensions to give you and idea.
I installed the e4300 under the passenger seat and that amp is wider (all other dims are the same).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
I personally do not like to mount any components under the seats. It's too easy to damage (kicking, stepping or spilling soda on it) and it's far too easy to get stolen. Another option may be to mount the amp behind one of the rear side panels (where the rear speakers are). There is a ton of room back there. You would have to fabricate some mounting brackets to attach the amp to the vehicle securely, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Locating the amp there would almost eliminate theft (unless they took the whole car and stripped it down to find a nice surprise behind the panel). Plus it would be a really clean and stealth install, taking up absolutely no useable space. Just my .02, hope it helps!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Alpman@Jan 13 2005, 12:27 AM
Another option may be to mount the amp behind one of the rear side panels (where the rear speakers are). There is a ton of room back there.
This sounds like a great option! I have an appointment with the install shop at noon - I'll see if they can do it!

-Steven-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by swale+Jan 14 2005, 08:16 AM-->QUOTE (swale @ Jan 14 2005, 08:16 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Alpman
@Jan 13 2005, 12:27 AM
Another option may be to mount the amp behind one of the rear side panels (where the rear speakers are). There is a ton of room back there.
This sounds like a great option! I have an appointment with the install shop at noon - I'll see if they can do it!

-Steven-[/b]
They did it! This was a MUCH better install than I originally had in mind. Now the amp is way out of harm's way, AND I got to use the Soundstream amp I got from eBay (and thus couldn't be returned). This was a MUCH better amp than ANY that would have fit under the seat. He even said he could have put another amp back there! The system sounds GREAT! They also used foam enclosure for the rear speakers, now I can actually hear them (not the originals - CDT backfill 5 1/4" speakers)!

Thanks, Alpman! I highly recommend the rear side panel location for anyone else who wants a stealth amp installation!

-Steven-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Originally posted by swale+Jan 14 2005, 06:00 PM-->QUOTE (swale @ Jan 14 2005, 06:00 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2005, 08:16 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Alpman
@Jan 13 2005, 12:27 AM
Another option may be to mount the amp behind one of the rear side panels (where the rear speakers are). There is a ton of room back there.

This sounds like a great option! I have an appointment with the install shop at noon - I'll see if they can do it!

-Steven-
They did it! This was a MUCH better install than I originally had in mind. Now the amp is way out of harm's way, AND I got to use the Soundstream amp I got from eBay (and thus couldn't be returned). This was a MUCH better amp than ANY that would have fit under the seat. He even said he could have put another amp back there! The system sounds GREAT! They also used foam enclosure for the rear speakers, now I can actually hear them (not the originals - CDT backfill 5 1/4" speakers)!

Thanks, Alpman! I highly recommend the rear side panel location for anyone else who wants a stealth amp installation!

-Steven- [/b]
How did they mount it?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top