Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my XM radio stopped working and all it does is flash "ANTENNA" on the head unit. I've checked the wires and plugs; nothing is different than it was two days ago.

Has anybody had a similar problem?

·
Registered
542 Posts
my sirius plug and play tuner has a very fussy antenna. even wiggling the antenna causes it to lose signal sometimes. (like when i'm picking it up off the floor after taking a corner too hard
) all i do is make sure the antenna wire is pushed into the docking kit firmly

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
It usually did that if one of the 2 wires got unplugged. Check if there are any bends in the wire - it can break, and probably already did.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes the wires to the antenna are pretty thin and can be easy to damage. Depending on the install there can be several likely places for the trouble. One of which is where the antenna is located near the hatch. A good install will keep it away from constant flexing and under trim that protects it from being stepped on etc. I have seen them put in cars real poorly and those thin wires breaking is the result.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@May 12 2005, 04:11 PM
It usually did that if one of the 2 wires got unplugged. Check if there are any bends in the wire - it can break, and probably already did.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the wire is broken. It isn't giving the "NO SIGNAL" thing; it says, "ANTENNA"

So how can I get JUST a new antenna?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I did not like the big fat stock antenna, so I bought a tiny terk xmicro one and a 2-1 splitter, since xmicro is single lead. All in all was about $50 or so.

Then I sold it because I figured a way to hide the stock antenna under the dash. Works like a charm

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I got mine from a local sound shop, but they should be online everywhere. Try eBay, too.

Btw, why don't you take it in for warranty?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@May 12 2005, 07:23 PM
I got mine from a local sound shop, but they should be online everywhere. Try eBay, too.

Btw, why don't you take it in for warranty?
I bought the tuner from sparks and installed it myself. When the antenna stopped working I checked the xm reciever and found out that the antenna wire was all wrapped up in a spring beneath the passenger's side seat...I'm pretty sure that's what broke the wire.

I can't really take it in for warrenty when the dealership had nothign to do with it. Is there a warrenty through sparks, or directly through scion? Even so I'd probably have to send the WHOLE thing back and get a new one, and it might just be easier to buy a new antenna... I'll have to email Ken.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.