Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to first test drive an automatic last Saturday and let me tell you - I liked it! A lot!
The 5-speeds were supposed to come in Wednesday, but apparently they were held up in customs, so I'll try to check 'em out this weekend if I have time...

The sales person told me that the engine is from the Camry (not sure what model #), the wheel base is wider... basically he says it out performs the Celica in every way. Of course, I wouldn't expect to hear anything less from a Scion dealer, but based on the specs I've seen, he must be right

The interior is nice, but was standard... I think the sales person I was working w/ is getting most of the options, so I'll get to check his out when it comes in. He said that they have everything ready (meaning they can order it) aside from the TRD Supercharger, which would probably put it at or above 200 horsepower. But even stock, at 160 HP / 163 Torque, he said he smoked an Acura RSX...

Supposedly, and this is hearsay since he hasn't been allowed to drive the 5-speed yet, you can spin the tires and chirp second w/out trying and is possible to chirp third... and that's stock... but he's basing that on the what the guy, who drove it to the test drive thing set up for the local dealerships, said...

Overall, the Scion TC is a great looking car (love the panoramic moon roof and seats that recline all the way back) that was fun to drive... the sales person told me to get on it, so I did & was pretty impressed... I'm trying to hold out any real opinion until I can drive the 5-speed

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow. not to dog on your experience but it seems like the sales person you are talking about sounds like he has watched fast and furious one too many times

a car should have decent performance and it's nice to be able to point out its advantages over another vehicle but straight up dissing other cars doesn't sound co0l. (unless i missinterperted what you are saying)

anyhow - if whatever he is saying is true, it's nice to know the tC can put up a fight.

//gwailo-

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wow a 360 hp Celica. I want my car to be 36o hp. What the hell did you put in it to make it that powerful?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by Andfx8@Jun 27 2004, 10:52 PM
Wow a 360 hp Celica. I want my car to be 36o hp. What the hell did you put in it to make it that powerful?
It's a supra

//gwailo

EDIT: In all fairness, the supra is Mrs. Celica's son...Her better in every way son

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would want my TC to have that much power if I had that deep of pockets

·
Registered
131 Posts
Has anybody gotten up to 60 and then stomped on the brakes in a TC?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by SWFLATC@Jun 30 2004, 07:47 PM
Has anybody gotten up to 60 and then stomped on the brakes in a TC?
I did it @ around 30 if that counts

and as for the tC hangin with the dawg...I think I would like to keep it stock-ish. maybe some nice apperance modifications and minor upgrades like lowered and stiffened. possibly minor performance upgrades. (There is already a"production" turbo kit in the works -supposedly- but not sure on how much it would cost and or what would need to be altered.)

//gwailo-

·
Registered
10 Posts
If this salesman said that the TC stock 160 horsepower could "smoke" an RSX he's fibbing or the RSX is automatic and the TC manual these two cars are just about even in a racing format trust me ive raced my my 05' TC (SC) against a friends RSX-Stype and it was a close race.
The TC is a great car though

·
Registered
22 Posts
360 hp is just getting started in a supra. gwailo has alot of potential on his hands. 500 to the wheels is VERY streetable in those cars as long as you upgrade the cooling system. we had a customer (i worked for a performance shop in college) that after all was said and done had high 690's to low 700's to the wheels depending on temperature. but the care was a constant heat-sink and needed cooling upgrades ASAP.
Nice ride, gwailo.

I haven't done my 5-spd drive yet. Only the auto, but since the tranny comes from toyotas puppy sedans I test drove a couple of those to get a feel for it. I must say I love the tranny. Much better than my Jetta's. Looking forward to ordering mine.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
WOW welcome to last year on this one...

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
Originally posted by jeep@May 15 2005, 07:57 AM
360 hp is just getting started in a supra. gwailo has alot of potential on his hands. 500 to the wheels is VERY streetable in those cars as long as you upgrade the cooling system. we had a customer (i worked for a performance shop in college) that after all was said and done had high 690's to low 700's to the wheels depending on temperature. but the care was a constant heat-sink and needed cooling upgrades ASAP.
Nice ride, gwailo.
I know guys with stock radiators pushing 700 hp. The cooling system isn't the problem with Supras. Airflow through the IC and the radiator are issues though. FWIW, mine dyno'd 330 rwhp at Silverstate Motorsports during the '00 Supras Invade Las Vegas meet. It was bone stock with a lightweight flywheel. Most decent Supras with just boost and exhaust mods dyno close to 400 rwhp. I have friends with cars ranging from stock to over 1200 rwhp.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Originally posted by bluebandit@May 15 2005, 12:10 AM
... format trust me ive raced my my 05' TC (SC) against a friends RSX-Stype and it was a close race...
You have a supercharged tC eh? May I see some engine pictures?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts