1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love it!

Quick review.

Exterior:

+overall design "not trying to look like a 500hp sports car" sporty design.
+headlamp style fresh and not reaching for the sky like oh so many cars! *cough* 350z, camry, solara, prius, celica, altima, maxima... *cough*
+skyline-ish front end = face_drool
+ side mirror turn signals are a gimmick but does feel like a luxurious touch.
+ 17" double thin 6 spoke mercury finished rims.
+panorama moonroof (doesn't cost extra)

-panorama moonroof (can't get it without)
-ass-end is typical plain.
-tailights are boring.

Interior:

+overall design is clean and sharp
+deceptivly roomy...even in back. and the back seats recline. you know where I'm going with this.

+feels solid. good quality not just for the price but for a car. period.
+nice mute, without looking bland, color scheme.

-feels a little bare. not much too it.
-some controls are awkardly placed and require diverting attention away from driving to find them the first few times.
-hella blind spots.

*there was no stereo installed so I could not test the sound quality*

Testdrive:

+acceleration smoothe and unexpectedly put me in the back of my seat. (made me smile - and it was even an automatic.)
+hopeful TRD supercharger to put me MORE in the back of my seat!
+quiet for a car made of a lot of glass.
+braking felt secure

-noisy with the panorama open.
-gas mileage seemes inexcusably poor: 22-29 for the manual (my transmission of choice)

*could not test handling too well because there were no twisties. so I can't say it was good or bad. for everyday use it seemed good.*

So, overall The car was clean, stylish, smoothe, quiet, and surprisingly powerful thanks to the proven 2.4L I4 camry enigne, and looking to the future with a supercharger and a manual transmission, along with an (aftermarket) upgraded suspension, this could be one helluva car!

//gwailo-

·
Registered
502 Posts
I happen to like the panorama moonroof being standard, but I feel for the people that for some reason wouldn't want one. Also, I didn't think 22-30 was bad; what should it be? Will the gas mileage decrease once a supercharger is installed?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the panorama is concerned, I gave it a + and a - because it is a draw and a downfall. it is great that you get it @ no extra charge but I know of at least 2 people that are bummed you cannot get it without.

I'm sure glad it was standard design because if it was an option Iwould get it anyway

As with any forced induction, prepare to take a hit from you gas mileage with a coffe grinder.

My car started out @ around 19 mpg and now adverages about 16 with my modifications.

I was looking for a more practical car that go better mileage and 22-29 is ALMOST a deterrent for me but i like this car so much, I'm almost willing to overlook it.
I'm still undecided ...

//gwailo-

·
Registered
502 Posts
I guess it would be great if the tC got better mileage, the gas prices these days are awful.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was wondering if anyone actually knew how much the s/c was gonna sell for, also, with other trd superchargers people have switched out the pulleys and upped the pressure in the supercharger for alot more power, anyone have any ideas if that will be possible with the 2.4l supercharger?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
you have questions, i have answers. expect the supercharger to be (ballpark, mind you) around $2700. installed. output should be a 40% (ish) increase in both torque and horsepower. if that holds true, you can expect about 220HP and about 225 lb ft of torque.
as for mods for more power, this is a centrifugal supercharger (if you are lost, check out: http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=21 ) so there is a lull on the power below about 2000rpm. spun up above 2grand, the power builds along with the revs, really doing its job in the 3000-6000 range, and peaking obviously at redline. kill your rev limiter, get more power. but i dont advocate doing that for most people, and not to a stock engine.
if you want more boost at lower rpm, swap your 'chargers pulley for a smaller one. as more air will be flowing, and it will be denser, their will be an overabundance of oxygen, requiring more fuel to achieve the correct mixture. a fuel pump from a supra works well to provide the extra boost in needed fuel pressure, assuring your ride never gets thirsty.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Nice review.

The SC here in Hawaii (if Toyota were to install it) will be $4995 (without tax). Though, for that price I'd opt for a turbo (and easily achieve 300hp); and that's just a start. The potential of the TC is underrated I think.

*I've seen a video of a turbo charged Supra that clocked a little over 10 secs in a 1/4 mile. I also recently checked out (in person) a 1000hp Supra. I've brought it up because of the Supra sig.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Originally posted by Andfx8@Jun 27 2004, 10:56 PM
I happen to like the panorama moonroof being standard, but I feel for the people that for some reason wouldn't want one.
I didn't want one but the feature came with the car. I didn't want to get the limited cheaper model (which was only a little over a $1000 less), which doesn't have the moonroof. Ahh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts