Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I got around to shooting day pics of my new lights and grills. Clicking on any of these will pull up a zoomed in view (narrowband members, beware--they are 1600x1200 JPG files). My apologies for the glare; it seems my car is a bit too shiny.

The new headlamps are custom retrofit of BMW 5-series angel-eye halos, BMW 3-series HID projectors, bulbs and ballasts, custom hand-made shrouds and spray-tinted side marker lenses.

The new grills are Grill Craft black mesh upper and lower; I ordered the three-piece for the bottom but it appears the lip kit interferes and they were unable to install the corner pieces for me.

I plan to replace the amber front signal bulbs with chrome-plated bulbs that only turn amber when lit. The rear tail lamps will receive similar treatment with the amber and red reflectors spray tinted, but I have yet to decide whether to send out the pair I have or to order a second pair and then swap them in later.

-Ed

EDIT: Here're the promised dusk and night time shots including cut-off pics (again, click a pic to blow it up):

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys!

No, I ordered an extra pair of headlamps from my dealer and sent them to HIDRetro because I knew it would take weeks to do (ended up being a couple months), and I drive my car daily. Actually, I have a stock pair of headlamps here in my room now with Silverstar low beams still in there; I took my Silverstar high beams with me to the new lamps.

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by tearCatcher@Sep 11 2005, 02:47 PM
im lovin the tc emblem on both sides. it looks really good. i enjoy the pics ed. keep em coming. oh btw where did you get the emblems?
McGeorge Parts.

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by dasfook@Sep 11 2005, 02:53 PM
Wow that looks amazing! I love what you've done with the car. How much did it cost to do the headlamps? I'm thinking about doing the same thing when I finally get my tC.
~$400+parts; you source the parts or you can have him source the parts (him being Liep from HIDRetro.com). The $400 includes fully insured Fedex Home delivery.

-Ed

·
Registered
96 Posts
$400 is really not bad at all, I was thinking it would be much more. The again the parts will probably add up. I'm a complete newb when it comes to car mods, so what exactly would I need to do this? I checked out the site and I see a few variations for the tC headlamps (ie. 3-series, 5-series) so what's the difference? I know they correspond to the BMW parts, I'm just not sure what the best option would be. Most likely I would need to order a new pair of headlamps as well since I couldn't go without them for more than a few days. How much would that cost? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't see any price list on the site you mentioned and I figured you would know best. Again, the car looks sweet - keep up the excellent work!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by dasfook@Sep 11 2005, 03:45 PM
$400 is really not bad at all, I was thinking it would be much more. The again the parts will probably add up. I'm a complete newb when it comes to car mods, so what exactly would I need to do this? I checked out the site and I see a few variations for the tC headlamps (ie. 3-series, 5-series) so what's the difference? I know they correspond to the BMW parts, I'm just not sure what the best option would be. Most likely I would need to order a new pair of headlamps as well since I couldn't go without them for more than a few days. How much would that cost? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't see any price list on the site you mentioned and I figured you would know best. Again, the car looks sweet - keep up the excellent work!
The parts really add up; for the retrofit components, I had him get them off eBay for $400. Then there are the stock headlamps, which were some $275 or so. You should hope to find someone willing to install for a decent price, too, but that varies greatly between people; I'm sure many are willing to install it themselves.

You would need headlamp fixtures, then for the HID you need projectors, bulbs, ballasts and shrouds. The difference is best explained by HIDRetro.com, which has a page dedicated to explaining the difference between the various projectors.

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay everyone, I added the dusk and night pics to the original post; please see above.

-Ed

·
Registered
71 Posts
Omg ed those pics are amazing.. I'm loven the new grill's, and I might have to start saven up for those headlights... Great work man..

soj

·
Registered
185 Posts
yea, sweet car bro.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Dayum.

·
Registered
225 Posts
oh man i love those angel eyes

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.